which food scale would you recommend?

Options
so I've been doing MFP for a while now. I started out "eye-balling" and using volume measurements for my foods(cups, tbsp, etc). I still lost 21 lbs doing that and upping my exercise. well, FF to now, and things are getting a bit touchier. Now I see the need to start weighing out my portions.
I have a bed bath and beyond gift card burning a hole in my wallet. Our local store doesn't have any food scales in stock, so I'll be ordering online. Which one do you like? Or- which features do you feel are "required", recommended, or not necessary at all?? TIA!

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i don't know the brand of mine, but it has both oz and grams. it also has a tare feature, which i think is imperative.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My personal requirements are just that they be digital and measure in ounces and grams. Our local grocery store had their own brand ones for $9 last year and that one is just as accurate as my older, bulkier one that I pair $50 for.. lol So, price may not be an indicator of quality.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EUPMFK/

I just received this scale yesterday, and so far it is working very well for me. I had a basic digital scale from WalMart that started having issues recognizing small incremental weight changes, so it was time for a change. I did a lot of research on different features, and ended up going with this one because it uses 4 AAA batteries vs. the more expensive C2032 coin battery, can handle up to 15 lbs, is accurate to .05 oz / 1gm, and has a backlit display. It may be overkill for basic needs, but figured I am in this for the long haul, better make sure to have something that will last.
  • Terrapin88
    Terrapin88 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your 21 pounds!
    I just ordered this one $11.99 shipped (with my prime membership):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PV0CWDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has the features I need. Tare, oz, Kg, pounds and ounces. Most scales have an automatic shut off feature that can't me modified or turned off. Something else I looked for was a scale with a longer run time before it automatically shuts itself off. Another thing I looked for was a scale that had all the unit measure buttons on top of the scale. Some have a switch under the scale near the battery door to change from pounds to kilos. I didn't want that.

I know the one I linked is not from Bed&Bath but it's inexpensive and has good reviews. This is the same exact model that Ozeri (That has 2000+ 5 star reviews) and a couple of other retailers sell under their own brand name. You can find the same exact scale sold by 3 or more different retailers on Amazon. Seem to me that there are a handful of manufacturers making a few models of scales for the retailers who just slap their own brand name on them and charge different prices. I noticed that some of the scales on Amazon can be found at places like Walmart or Target for about twice what they cost on Amazon. Looking at BB& beyond's site I recognized some of the $35-$50 dollar scales there that are being sold on Amazon for half that price, though they may have different brand names on them. You might be able to find the one you are thinking of ordering on Amazon for less $$ and with a bunch of reviews. Then you could use your gift card to get yourself something from BB&B that's more fun. :) for Just a thought.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    A higher weight limit is nice too. Mine has a 5lbs max that I've hit a few times while making a recipe and weighing it to enter in the recipe builder. (If you know the total weight of the dish you can make the servings equal to the number of grams and logging becomes easier and more accurate.) Hitting the max is annoying and I wish I'd bought a scale with a larger max weight.
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the little ozeri pronto and it works just fine for me!

When I'm at school (i teach science) i use a triple beam balance :p
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I bought a Salter from Target that I paid too much for. However, the thing I do like about it is it's a glass top, so it's really easy to clean (I'm somewhat messy in the kitchen, but do like to clean up after). It has both oz & grams, and will zero out. It also has the option to tell it what food it is, and it will generate all the info for you... but I never use that feature.