FEMALE-BODIED PEOPLE: How does your weight fluctuate before/after your TOM?

Options
I've been browsing the boards and have noticed lots of differing perspectives on how people's weights differ before and after their periods. I've seen a few people say its not uncommon to gain/lose upwards of 7 or 8 pounds every time. Is this true? I'm curious about what other people have noticed about their trends. :)

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always retain a few pounds and wonder why I'm not losing, then I get a big whoosh of 2-5 lbs. they day TOM arrives.
  • mcgra263
    mcgra263 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been losing on an average of 2-3 pounds a week for 2 months. I didn't really get my period the first month and I think that had something to do with the shock of how much exercise I was doing. But I have it this week and the scale is jumped up about4 pounds. So very frustrating after busting my *kitten* in the gym and kitchen all week.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Yes, I always retain a few pounds and wonder why I'm not losing, then I get a big whoosh of 2-5 lbs. they day TOM arrives.

This is me. Im stagnant the week before TOM (right now, ugh)...but the day it arrives...I drop a good chunk of weight that stays off. I'm losing an average of 1.5# a week, but really only lose .5# a week for 3 weeks, then lose 4-5# during TOM.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Lol, I think this only applies to females. I've met "female-bodied" males (overseas).....some that would put to shame some females.
    Genetic predisposition and how low their body fat is will usually dictate how water retention affect a female during stated time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mine does not fluctuate that much. I might go up 1-1.5 pounds, stay there for 5-7 days, and then go back down. I will have a couple of days when I feel bigger than ever, though, right before it starts. Generally, I'll say something like "ugh, I feel so big and blah" and my husband will nod and pat me on the back and say, "it must be that time" and then I realize it is.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I don't weigh myself, but my pants do get really tight a few days before.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Mistizoom wrote: »

This is me. Im stagnant the week before TOM (right now, ugh)...but the day it arrives...I drop a good chunk of weight that stays off. I'm losing an average of 1.5# a week, but really only lose .5# a week for 3 weeks, then lose 4-5# during TOM.

i think this is whats happening to me right now haha
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Because of my birth control, I have a period but very little bleeding and sometimes don't notice it at all (while still going through the moodiness, nesting, clumsiness etc.). I weigh every day and watch the trending numbers. I've been losing 2 lbs a week. I notice that, for about a week, once a month, my weight will stall a bit and I will have about half the weight loss I normally do (trending numbers). Using the real weight values, my weight goes up and drops back down pretty drastically, about 2-3 lbs.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I tend to be really bloated leading up to my period so yeah, I hold on to weight more. Usually just 1-2 pounds but it FEELS like 500 pounds to me when I'm cranky and feel like crap, haha. Probably TMI for some but for me it's because I get really constipated a couple days before my period and then it, uh, self corrects haha.
  • eloise80
    eloise80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always drop 1-2 pounds the day before i get my TOM! It's so weird, I would've thought I would gain, but nope. I think it's our body's way of allowing us a little extra chocolate that week. :wink:
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    eloise80 wrote: »
    I always drop 1-2 pounds the day before i get my TOM! It's so weird, I would've thought I would gain, but nope. I think it's our body's way of allowing us a little extra chocolate that week. :wink:

yas ;)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Between 1-5 pounds. But that might also be related to what I want to eat during that time, so increased water retention.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    About a week before TOM, I bloat like a damn puffer fish, and usually weigh anywhere between 2-5 pounds more. Them TOM comes, and I am back down to "normal", which is still much to high. *sighs*
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    My weight doesn't usually go up before TOM unless I've overeaten, but it stays the same for probably five or six days. Then usually afterward I drop a pound or two.

My trouble this month is ovulation. I am strictly on-plan ("strictly" sounds so dire...I actually feel fine), but I have GAINED just over a pound and it's sticking there! So weird.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I bloat a couple pounds. Then it's gone.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    eloise80 wrote: »

Well, I'm for that! LOL!

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I gained freaking 5lbs since last week. I just love that.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Mine does not fluctuate that much. I might go up 1-1.5 pounds, stay there for 5-7 days, and then go back down. I will have a couple of days when I feel bigger than ever, though, right before it starts. Generally, I'll say something like "ugh, I feel so big and blah" and my husband will nod and pat me on the back and say, "it must be that time" and then I realize it is.

Me, too. I don't gain so much as just hold.