Steam Room Weight Loss Myth

Options
Hey guys,

I use the steam room at the gym and I just like it because afterwards my muscles feel amazing. I didn't think there was any real weight loss associated with just sitting and being hot till I got home and decided to see if maybe I'm lucky and there is. Well folks, there isn't. You lose water weight ONLY because you are sweating. I saw a bunch of sites saying that if you sit in a steam room for 15 to 20 minutes (who can stand it that long anyway?) you can burn 600 calories but it's a myth.

Replies

• superkitty7
    Options
    Hey guys,

I use the steam room at the gym and I just like it because afterwards my muscles feel amazing. I didn't think there was any real weight loss associated with just sitting and being hot till I got home and decided to see if maybe I'm lucky and there is. Well folks, there isn't. You lose water weight ONLY because you are sweating. I saw a bunch of sites saying that if you sit in a steam room for 15 to 20 minutes (who can stand it that long anyway?) you can burn 600 calories but it's a myth.
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    I used an inferred room yesterday at the gym and it said that it helped with weight loss if you sat in there for thirty minutes daily, Whether that would help instead i assume that one to be true because things arent usually allowed to be printed unless true. I went in a steam room as well that was nice though.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    yeah . i wish that was true !! lol

although i was surprised when i went in there wearing my heart rate monitor !! it reached like 60% of my max .. espacialy when i came out ... it went to 75% for a good 5-10 minutes..

i though that was pretty good a just sitting down enjoying the warmth :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I used an inferred room yesterday at the gym and it said that it helped with weight loss if you sat in there for thirty minutes daily, Whether that would help instead i assume that one to be true because things arent usually allowed to be printed unless true. I went in a steam room as well that was nice though.

I love it! If it is written then it's true. :laugh: You must not spend much time on the internet! Or read newspapers. Yikes!! Don't believe everything you read.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I hit the sauna at the Y after my water aerobics class. I could easily sit in there for half an hour, as long as nobody puts water on the rocks. Soon as it gets steamy, I have a hard time breathing, and within 5 minutes I'm outta there. If only it did make you lose weight.... lol
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    No no i'm sure there is a law against it here when selling products like i mean average people that gossip can say what they like because there not selling anything but, Im sure there must be some weight loss attached to sitting in a room for 30 minutes, thats why they have put it, Its possibly because people won't have eaten for like an hour by time they have sat in there and and changed in and out of their bikini's or because by time they are out they have been blinded by the light.

But.... I just googled Infrared Sauna's and weight loss, a bit of research and:

''An added benifit of an Infrared sauna is that can burn up to 600 calories in half an hour. The far infrared sauna causes weight loss due to enegy expenditure. Consider that a thirty minute sauna session creates about as much sweat as a six mile run. ates beneficial and almost magical effect that infrared sauna has over the human body. The Infrared Sauna is a traditional place that can help you feel better, look younger and help with weight loss. From ancient times Finnish men felt the sauna was a sacred place, and Finnish women also idolized the sauna as it greatly helped them in weight loss.
    People enjoy infrared saunas to improve their health, state of the body and mind, to spend time to relax and forget about the problems of everyday life. The atmosphere of the infrared sauna has a positive affect on the central nervous system. After 10 minutes of an infrared sauna session greatly improves motor response and coordination of movement. The sharp increase of blood and lymphatic vessels leads to intense physical "squeezing" of subcutaneous fat deposits and fast weight loss without load on the heart.

It’s already proved that infrared sauna sessions help greatly in weight loss. This happens due to the body perspiration and depending on the personal characteristic weight loss fast from 1 - 3 lbs. .

Using infrared sauna sauna room to relax, improve your health, and of course, fast weight loss is a great way to spend your time.''

So I copy and pasted it and it backs my bit of reading up. obviously not my theory of not being able to eat for an hour, or being blinded. A infrared sauna is different to a sauna. And better in my opinion just google it and yeh, Then buy one and enjoy a 30 minute toxin flush daily unless you fall to sleep and then your look like a prune :\

It's alright for me to be told not to believe in everything I read, but what ever happened to trusting until you have a reason not too. And I have not found a reason not too.=] Happy christmas
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    ooooops. Sorry looovely_x. I thought you were joking!

That is great info! Now if I can just find an infrared sauna, I'm going there!