16 weeks and 40lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You posted this on Jan. 17, 2014:

**a few years ago i lost 30lbs and got to my goal weight by starving myself and ended up just being skinny fat and just not happy with myself so I just gave up. Well here i am...i have gained back the 30lbs and I am going to try this a little more different with clean eating and weights! Would love some new people for support and to help support as well! Add me!**

So sounds to me like you have a history of rapidly gaining, losing, gaining, losing, etc. If I were you, I'd look into making a lifestyle change rather than staying on this seemingly never-ending cycle of weight loss/weight gain. I get the broken foot thing, but this is a chance to be HEALTHY and get off of this cycle. Change your goals and your mindset, lose weight slowly and keep it off for good.
  • jirisg92
    jirisg92 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My motivation was myself
    My loose clothes motivated me, I would wake up happy (especially when I would wake up and I have my hands on my tummy and I could feel my tummy smaller, makes me want to hug myself lol)
    And surprisingly running is such stress reliever:) so I was happy and not cranky most of the time.

3 tips -protein bars make good replacement of sweets.-do push ups I would do girl push ups cause I couldn't do any and after a month even girl push ups helped my arms. I would do 3 sets of 20. - and well the running tip I gave above.

Goals are good it helps you push yourself and you should never be disappointed on any pound lost, anything is better than nothing even if it isn't the 10 a month.
    You can do it.
    If you have instagram follow this girl called
    @ D_R_E_Y_A She is awesome motivation
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like setting aggressive goals, as long as you're smart enough to re-evaluate and adjust if/as necessary. Make sure you have a heavy dose of strength-training, ie, weight-lifting, to minimize the amount of muscle you lose. Muscle will help you lose weight and keep it off. Find an exercise routine or sport that you really enjoy and plan on doing the rest of your life.
  • mzlizzi
    mzlizzi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My 3 tips for your first week:
    1. Log every single day for your first 7 days, no matter how well or how horribly you eat.
    2. Buy a food scale.
    3. Make a healthy soup or stew for the week.
  • ToBeMe33
    ToBeMe33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of you are not good motivators at all.....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    LuckyMe000 wrote: »
    Ok well maybe I shouldn't have posted my goals, the main reason for this was to get tips on staying motivated....I was not posting it for everyone to criticize it. The thing is, I am not new to this, I am very well educated on this subject.... I know that a goal of 40lbs in 4 months may seem aggressive for you but I know my body and I know the rate that I lose weight and I know what I am capable of. I should have kept my goal to myself and just asked the simple question .....name 3 things that keep you motivated during your journey.

Have you lost before and been to your target weight? How do you know the next 40 is going to be as smooth as the first? Arent you allowing for any slowdown in weight loss as you get closer to traget or doesnt that apply to you? Enjoy.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am giving myself 16 weeks to lose 40lbs....Even if I don't hit the 40 mark if I aim for it I plan to be pretty darn close.... I will be logging in at 1200 - 1400 calories and I will be doing 30 day shred in the morning, walking 30 minutes mid day and in the afternoon I will be doing Couch to 5k 3 times a week. I want to look and feel good this summer...again... What are the 3 things that you can share with me that have kept you motivated during your journey....any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

I usually don't like to get into these tiffs, but you did say above "any other advice would be greatly appreciated!" So, along with motivation ideas, people were giving you "other advice."

Not only did you post basically the same question in January, you also posted it a week or so ago.

If you know so much, why do you keep asking us? If you were so well-educated on the subject, it doesn't seem to me that you would need to ask us anything.

• LuckyMe000
    LuckyMe000 Posts: 55
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am giving myself 16 weeks to lose 40lbs....Even if I don't hit the 40 mark if I aim for it I plan to be pretty darn close.... I will be logging in at 1200 - 1400 calories and I will be doing 30 day shred in the morning, walking 30 minutes mid day and in the afternoon I will be doing Couch to 5k 3 times a week. I want to look and feel good this summer...again... What are the 3 things that you can share with me that have kept you motivated during your journey....any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

I usually don't like to get into these tiffs, but you did say above "any other advice would be greatly appreciated!" So, along with motivation ideas, people were giving you "other advice."

Not only did you post basically the same question in January, you also posted it a week or so ago.

If you know so much, why are you asking us? If you were so well-educated on the subject, it doesn't seem to me that you would need to ask us anything.

Ok well for starters the only thing I asked of anyone is what keeps them motivated I didn't ask for any specifics on anything else.....This is supposed to be a site that people go to for motivation and support and all yall do is make someone feel like they can't and are worthless. Most people already feel like that and yall are just reminding them of how they already feel. I never asked ANYONE about my goal.( btw I did add in there that if I didn't hit it I would be close implying that there was a chance I wouldn't lose that much, but all everyone says is YOU CAN'T DO IT, IT'S TO AGGRESSIVE, NOT POSSIBLE).it was just something that I was sharing.....and who cares how may times I have posted the same question....everyone is unique and have different ideas. and for your information I am very well educated on weight loss and nutrition....no wonder why people feel like they are nothing......the criticism that I have seen here today for someone wanting a little motivation and helpful advice is horrible and yall should be ashamed of yourselves. For those that were very nice and motivating, thank you! Apparently there aren't many like you in this world.

Oh and BTW Grandmothercharlie, your quote on your profile say " finding the Old Me" Look in the freaking mirror and there she is....the OLD you......peace!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh another mean people thread. How CUTE!! ;)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Ok well maybe I shouldn't have posted my goals, the main reason for this was to get tips on staying motivated....I was not posting it for everyone to criticize it. The thing is, I am not new to this, I am very well educated on this subject.... I know that a goal of 40lbs in 4 months may seem aggressive for you but I know my body and I know the rate that I lose weight and I know what I am capable of. I should have kept my goal to myself and just asked the simple question .....name 3 things that keep you motivated during your journey.

you asked for other advice. sometimes it helps to think realistically so you're not feeling defeated if you don't lose 2.5lbs per week. just because you were able to lose that weight easily before doesn't mean that it will be the same this time around. it doesn't mean it won't be..but setting such high expectations can be setting yourself up for disappointment.

as for tips on staying motivated..being active in the myfitnesspal community has helped me. my friends on here are awesome motivators. i log on, check out my homepage and look at the progress they're all making. I even posted a status once, after i had not been exercising for awhile, for people to e-yell at me if i didn't log an exercise that week as a kind of forced accountability.

i think that the biggest part of it is..you're either ready to make the change and get it done or you're not.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling snacky especially in the evenings or there is a treat around that you don't have the spare cals to eat, put on a bikini and hang out in your house like that. Your imperfections being so obvious will keep you in check :)
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    For me, what keeps me motivated is knowing that I will spend more time worrying about my weight and whether or not my clothes fit than I do weighing and logging my food. (1)

(2). Wanting to look like I belong with my slim, attractive husband.

(3). Knowing that if I don't work at this I will wind up diabetic and handicapped like my mother, aunts, cousins and sisters.

These motivators are constant whether summer is coming or I'm bundled up in sweaters. When I fall off the wagon, which I do, I don't consider getting back on as "starting". It just is getting back on.

I'm sorry that you felt attacked. Many of us who are "old" have been down the path before. We are trying to save you some frustration, not criticize you.

Good luck with your goals, sincerely.
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My 3 things which kept me motivated...

1. I picked out some old photos of myself over the years of key changes in my weight. A bit like they do in gossip mags with the photos lined up with dates and weights. I then realised I have basically just gradually gained over the last 10-12 years but around 4 years ago was the point I started feeling ' uncomfortable ' with my weight. I then used this as my backwards timeline for little mini targets and along the way I have been ticking them off and it's like going back in time! Haha. Very motivating considering I just turned the big 3 ...0...

2. Looking at other people's success stories! Very motivating.

3. I never throw away clothes! So I have a whole load of things which I used to love which I got too big for and I'm fitting back into them. I also try on the things I was wearing a couple months ago and amaze myself at how ridiculous I look in them now that they're baggy! :-)

By the way I have lost 22 pounds in 10 weeks this averages at 2.2 pounds per week which all the 'experts' frown upon, but in reality I lost 7 pounds the first week, 3 pounds the next couple, then 2 for the next couple and now I'm at 0.5-1 a week.

As soon as anyone puts a weight target with a week target, everyone seems to just do the maths and then jump on you for being aggressive. I know why it came off me 'aggressively'. It's because I am no longer filling myself with fast food twice a day, of course it's going to come off fast. But after 10 weeks it has slowed down and I'm fine with that too. Just like you I had a target weight and a target date, but if I get there and I'm a few pounds behind, I'm not gonna think " oh I failed, I only lost 28 pounds instead of 34 so I'm going to give up and eat McDonald's "

Good luck with your aims , give it all you've got! :wink:
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24lb in 10 weeks so far. Still have another 5 weeks until holiday and am on a mission to lose 10lb in that time. I started off 180 lb, so not that much heavier, but I must admit I am struggling to get more than 1lb off a week at the moment.

My problems occur when my weight loss does not equal my expectations. This can be really demotivating and is usually the point I fall off the wagon - I believe this is also why many other posters are discouraging 'grande' goals as they have probably experienced the negative effect of not reaching goals/set targets. However, if you have a really focussed mind and a strong will - and a plan for when you do see a stall, then push on with your goals. Someone once told me that if your dreams don't scare you then they are not big enough - I live by this in all aspects of life now - great fun!
    -
    An end date is great for motivation. I use a daily ticker that tells me how many days are left until holiday. Each day on track and exercise is a day closer to my goal. Really motivating.

Another great tool I use to stay on track is to pre-log my day before it happens. I know what I will be eating for lunch and dinner. I also pre log exercise as this makes sure I get off my *kitten* and do it. Most days I try and beat the caloric burn I have pre logged and adjust afterwards for a nice bonus.

I was not eating my exercise calories until very recently. I had a couple of hungry days and rather than deprive myself and 'fall off the wagon' I just ate (within reason - 3 cookies) and burned extra in exercise.

Hope this helps?

Feel free to add me as a friend, I log everyday and my diary is open :-)

Good luck, Cat x