The weight loss journey involves tripping over the occasional pie.

Options
gpstreet
gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Thinking back over all the times I have tried to lose weight I realise there is a pattern.
I start off with good intentions and fully motivated. I want to reach XXX weight after YYY time. I begin, I starve. I lose weight.
However then something happens. It could be something like, "I will rewards myself this weekend with a big pie". or "I am fed up with this diet and will indulge" or a change of scne like a holiday where self control lapses. Then it is the slippery slope back up to the usual weight.
I have been doing this diet for 20 days and last weekend was just such a lapse. I think I have managed to recover but my weight did slide up again. Wondering what I can do to avoid another lapse ?

Replies

• iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I do the same thing. Or I reach my goal and act as if I never have to moniter my diet again. 20 lbs later I have to do it all over again. This time I'm trying to convince myself I'm making a change for life. I should keep exercising as part of a lifetime plan. And limit the indulgences. And if I do fall off the wagon, it doesn't hurt as long as I get back on again.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Well, it might help to ignore YYY. If it is a lifetime change you want, why the deadline? Make it easy on yourself to be successful. Small things done consistently over a long time will generally have a greater impact than a solitary Hail Mary pass.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Today we are celebrating my birthday at work with an ice cream cake. I'm going to have a piece and it will put me over my calories for the day. Then this weekend, I'm going away for my birthday. I know I'll go way over on Saturday, but it's ok. My birthday is once a year. Sunday I will be sticking to my calorie limit. The key is to not give up! Cheat days happen and it's ok! You just need to get right back to it. It helps me to plan out my cheat days ahead of time. When the day's over, the cheating's over. : )
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    One bad day does not destroy a good plan. Start fresh the next meal or day.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    Thinking back over all the times I have tried to lose weight I realise there is a pattern.
    I start off with good intentions and fully motivated. I want to reach XXX weight after YYY time. I begin, I starve. I lose weight.
    However then something happens. It could be something like, "I will rewards myself this weekend with a big pie". or "I am fed up with this diet and will indulge" or a change of scne like a holiday where self control lapses. Then it is the slippery slope back up to the usual weight.
    I have been doing this diet for 20 days and last weekend was just such a lapse. I think I have managed to recover but my weight did slide up again. Wondering what I can do to avoid another lapse ?

Stop dieting. If you see this as a diet you will quit when you reach goal weight, you will always gain the weight back. If you are truly committed to a different way of interacting with food, then you will be successful. You'll quit worrying about a certain deadline, because there is no deadline - just the rest of your life being a healthy eater. When you let go of the deadline, you'll stop starving yourself and then binging. Instead, you'll choose a rate of weight loss that is sustainable for you. When you choose a rate that works for you, you'll be able to eat pie, cake, hot dogs, pizza, whatever floats your boat - because you will be fitting it into your calories. When you fit the foods you love into your calories, you won't need to binge. And if every once in a while, you have a massive, over the top, at a whole pie + ice cream + hamburgers + large slurpie kind of day, you won't sweat that either, because one day of crazy eating isn't going to make a difference to your weight in the grand scheme of things...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When I have a big pie, I'll replace breakfast and sometimes supper with pie, until it is gone. That way, I still get to eat pie, but I don't go over my calorie allowance.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Many smart people with smart intelligent thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I particularly like the 'not calling it a diet but a way of interacting with food'. I suppose calling it a diet during the change to the way I interact with food is acceptable and the YYY would be the time I stop calling it a diet. Hopefully at that point I would be used to the change.