Does anybody do the cold shower trick?

Options
pauljsolie
pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
I was reading that a 30 second to 1 minute cold shower can be advantageous to boosting your metabolic rate. Has anyone done this on a consistent basis? I have done it two days in a row and really feel invigorated afterward. After I'm done showering, i VERY gradually turn the hot water off until the water is just straight up cold. It takes awhile to adjust to the temperature but it feels so good when you're done, and it makes getting out into the cold room alot easier. Just wondering.:laugh: (that isn't laughing, it's shivering)LOL

Replies

• BeastieGirl
    BeastieGirl Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure about what it does to your metabolic rate, but I do know that if you've had a hard workout and your muscles ache, get in to a cold shower for a few minutes straight away and aim the shower at those muscles. It causes the blood to rush to the muscles and really invigorates them.

My ex-PT made me run along a beach in Ireland barefoot in April, then he made me run back, thigh deep in the freezing cold Atlantic. It was so cold it felt like my skin was burning, but afterwards my legs felt fantastic, really refreshed and strong. Give it a go and good luck xx
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    BBBBBbbbbbrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    I do that after a run from the FLorida heat!
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    i don't know weather it works but I'm going to try it.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    nope!
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Id rather keep the calories and have a warm shower to be in comfort!!! LOL!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    cold showers also do something else if your craving something lol
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but I know I hate it when my boyfriend decides to turn on the cold water while I'm in the shower! Admittedly, I feel better afterwards, but I'm a hot shower person and would rather feel warm and fuzzy then shivery and miserable. I don't feel quite that good until I'm halfway through getting into my clothes after a cold shower!
  • BobbyBoomer
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I recalled an episode of Dr. Oz where the lowering of body temperature for weight-loss purposes, as well as several other "thinking-outside-the-box" weight-loss techniques, was discussed. I found a recap of that show at http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-4-hours-to-the-perfect-body-ice-therapy-timothy-ferriss/ for anyone interested.
  • teresaq1
    teresaq1 Posts: 53
    Options
    We had run out of hot water one day and I decided to take a freeezing cold shower. What was interesting is I decided that my mind could control my body in this cold water. I don't normally meditate, but found myself concentrating on slowing my heart beat and not feeling uncomfortable in that ice cold water. It was a very nice experience. I can now take a shower or swim in any temperature of water. It's all just mind and body over matter.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Never heard that before, but I guess I do. LOL Usually I get the shower after my husband and 2 boys, so there is normally lukewarm water to start my shower and ice cold by the time I finish rinsing.
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I havent heard that cold showers doing that but i do know by drinking cold water it helps speed up your metabolism