FAT

Options
joanneeee
joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
Thought I'd share with you all a post from Carrie of Movesnmunchies
http://movesnmunchies.wordpress.com/

I HATE how fat is shunned upon in our society because people link it to mean overweight when in actual fact, it’s the same thing as saying carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids, lipids- the elements of food!

Fat is essential for our bodies to function, just as proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and much more are….

Fat helps our bodies to absorb vitamins, regulate those hormones, AND it makes our skin and hair all nice and SHINY- yay!

So basically, fat rocks.

THAT said, there are a few types of fats that ain’t the bestest- but hey, simple carbs aren’t the bestest either, so there are pros and cons to all!

GOOD fats= monounsaturated (nuts, nut oils, avocado, olives, olive oil etc..), Polyunsaturated fats (seeds, walnuts, peanuts, fish),

NOT SO GOOD FATS: trans fats, saturated fats

Okay, that’s it for lesson time….

The REAL point of this post is to tell you about one thing that I do/eat daily to stay healthy.. and that is… yep, you guessed it.. eat fats!!

If you guys don’t know me… I am actually a vegan- ow ow– shoutout to all my vegan homies out there ;)

Being a vegan means I don’t eat dairy, meat, or anything that comes from an animal… and honestly it wasn’t until I switched to veganism that I discovered how flippin amazing fats are!!!!!

I even created my own acronym just to show everyone how much fats mean to me:

Fats and Me

Are always

Together…….and Forever…but FATF wouldn’t work

I eat fats on a DAILY basis… I’d say 30-35% of my daily calories come from fats (recommend in the US is 20-30%) so I totally rock that boat.

I’m telling you guys- fats give you ENERGY, SATIETY, SMOOTH HAIR and SKIN, JOY!

I always make sure to eat a fat at every meal and every snack! And if I miss it at one meal.. you betcha I’ll be diggin’ into that peanut jar later that day!

Show and tell time?
http://thehealthyapron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/pic_5-e1303406752960.png

can you say LOVE??

What I want you all to get out of this post is…

DO NOT, I REPEAT… DO NOT FEAR THE FATS!!!

SERIOUSLY- have you ever noticed how those ‘flat belly foods’ are all FATS- yep… avocado, sunflower seeds, almonds, peanut butter…. just sayin’!

So if you’re looking for that six-pack- GO GET YO’SELF A SPOONFUL OF PEANUT BUTTER!

Replies

• Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Yeah, I'll go along with that. I'm a low carber and the fats are all over my diet. I lose weight and feel great. My hair is soft and shiny and I'm bursting with energy!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    our society relies on the tv/news for info. Unfortunately alot of it is wrong.

thanks for sharing.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I concur! Great repost.

Eating "fats" does not make you "fat" per se. (unless you eat too many calories worth. It's not what it IS, it's how MUCH of it that would hinder you. You can't eat the whole JAR of PB...lol)
    We need a balance of all our macros, including a healthy amount of good fats!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I'm trying to get away from the fat free obsession that lurks around every corner. The big eye opener for me was realising what they put into "light" and "fat free" stuff to make it taste good. It ain't pretty. I'd far rather have a bit of full fat whatever than a mouthful of chemicals and sugar. I go WAY over what is considered "optimal" fat intake but it's all from avocados, nuts, and a bit of full fat dairy (not a lot - just enough to make things taste nice - a teaspoon of butter is FAR tastier than an number of teaspoons of plastic spread!!) It's helped me reduce my calorie intake in the end because I'm much more satisfied with a smaller portion of something that tastes nice.

Oh, and my energy has soared!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i'm glad you all agree! i would love for the stigma to be removed because healthy fats are necessary.