anyone a runner who thought they would never run for life?

Options
I dream of becoming a runner for life, being heavy most of my life i never dare to run . Today I began a running training plan. Week 1 -Walk 2 min run for 1 min x7 = 21 min . The first minute of running was exhausting but it got better. Some runners passed by and I felt like I was invading their turf...LOL but kept running and even felt like I blended in quite well :D

Any one out there who can relate?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I can 100% totally relate! I started out running 30 seconds and walking 4 minutes! I am still incredibly slow and often feel people are laughing at me....but Im strong ... and you are too! Soo proud of you!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Still don't call myself a runner, but I am getting there. Do fiour plus miles a day,minimum of five days a week. Even get in longer runs up to ten miles on the weekends. I started out with intervals on the treadmill in February, and moved to trail running sometime in March. I'm still really slow, and have to walk the tougher hills, but I am doing it.

You can too!

The feeling is amazing, and it strips the weight off.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can 100% totally relate! I started out running 30 seconds and walking 4 minutes! I am still incredibly slow and often feel people are laughing at me....but Im strong ... and you are too! Soo proud of you!

aawwwww Thanks ! I know I could hear those voices:mad: " people are laughing at you" You'll never be able to do this "
    But I pushed through saying to myself " :happy: I don't care if people are laughing." I'm going to do this ":wink: " Sitting in front of the TV for hours doing nothing is something to be ashamed of ,not running " :noway: yep that was the conversation I had with myself ..LOL
    We all have to start somewhere:bigsmile: . Congrats on your running and weightloss !:flowerforyou:
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    good for you! Its a start! I too just started running (jogging) and I am working up to run my first 5k. I started by jogging for 40 seconds with a 20 second break. I would do that five times then walk for 5 min. It does get easier each time.

I just jogged for 13 minutes straight without stopping and went a whole mile. I never thought I would be able to do it.

You can do it...believe in yourself and each day just push a little bit harder, run a little faster or run a little farther.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Still don't call myself a runner, but I am getting there. Do fiour plus miles a day,minimum of five days a week. Even get in longer runs up to ten miles on the weekends. I started out with intervals on the treadmill in February, and moved to trail running sometime in March. I'm still really slow, and have to walk the tougher hills, but I am doing it.

You can too!

The feeling is amazing, and it strips the weight off.

Awesome !:happy: 10 miles that seems like a lot for me right now lol...thanks for the encouragement, Keep going:flowerforyou:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes!!
    click on my link below!
    i had a time in my life when i wondered if i would be able to walk again!
    and tonight i ran/walked at the gym! and i can't wait to increase my time and become a RUNNER!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I can relate!! I run on the treadmill and I am amazed at how far I am able to go some days. I too started (but have not yet finished) the C25K program. I started it months ago and now can run 25-35 minutes on a routine basis (still not entirely comfortably). I am still significantly overweight but my body is getting stronger each week and it feels great.

Keep it up...it will be hard but you can do it!!! I never thought I would be a runner (I still do not enjoy it all that much) but I love pushing myself so see what I can do each time I am on the treadmill (how far-how long-how fast) and knowing that I am burning a ton of calories also helps! :smile:
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    good for you! Its a start! I too just started running (jogging) and I am working up to run my first 5k. I started by jogging for 40 seconds with a 20 second break. I would do that five times then walk for 5 min. It does get easier each time.

I just jogged for 13 minutes straight without stopping and went a whole mile. I never thought I would be able to do it.

You can do it...believe in yourself and each day just push a little bit harder, run a little faster or run a little farther.

Thank you ! 13 mins ..I look forward to that myself :happy: I'm so proud I have decided to do this , And so proud of all you ladies ..you truly inspire this little jr runner :flowerforyou: Happy running :drinker:
  • harmonikki
    harmonikki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am working on becoming a runner too...along with my fiance...were not running much yet but the other night after walking 4 miles, half of that uphill, I got the urge to just run...and I ran .3 miles back to my house, and I have never felt so great! I train in sketchers tone-ups n I swear they make training go twice as fast...in 3 weeks I'm already farther along than I was in over 2 months last time I tried to train...
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Absolutely I can relate!! I run on the treadmill and I am amazed at how far I am able to go some days. I too started (but have not yet finished) the C25K program. I started it months ago and now can run 25-35 minutes on a routine basis (still not entirely comfortably). I am still significantly overweight but my body is getting stronger each week and it feels great.

Keep it up...it will be hard but you can do it!!! I never thought I would be a runner (I still do not enjoy it all that much) but I love pushing myself so see what I can do each time I am on the treadmill (how far-how long-how fast) and knowing that I am burning a ton of calories also helps! :smile:

25--35 wow!!!!:flowerforyou: That;s a burn right there ! I know what you mean on not feeling entirely comfortably, I don't know if it's because it's still all new..hoping that when the weight comes off I'll be light as a feather and feel more comfortable . Congrats again :drinker:
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Watch out...it's addicting. I started exercising last year and hated running. I did eliptical trainer 4days a week. My father in law and wife convinced me to do a 5k in March and it really changed my attitude. I started running then...mostly running and walking. I now run 20+ miles a week. I do a run walk interval for longer runs....run 4min...walk 1 min. On the shorter runs I just run the whole thing...I could never have done this 6 months ago. Work up slowly...get some good shoes and you'll be addicted. Have fun!!!!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Watch out...it's addicting. I started exercising last year and hated running. I did eliptical trainer 4days a week. My father in law and wife convinced me to do a 5k in March and it really changed my attitude. I started running then...mostly running and walking. I now run 20+ miles a week. I do a run walk interval for longer runs....run 4min...walk 1 min. On the shorter runs I just run the whole thing...I could never have done this 6 months ago. Work up slowly...get some good shoes and you'll be addicted. Have fun!!!!

from hating running to loving it ! That is something to look forward to :happy: Happy Running !
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    Omg love this post I can totally relate on feeling awkward when running....especially since the time i go to the gym theres this guy who is a pro runner (but he for sure inspires me!!) when i started about a year ago i could NOT run or even jog a mile. :sad: i would go on the track and even one lap was hard!! (4 laps is a mile) but just jog even if its as slow a a slug. as long as its a little faster than a walk just so your body gets used to it.
    somedays it sucked to run and its going to be hard, but the day that i easily ran a mile made it all worth it! :):bigsmile: i do a lot of different kinds of work outs, but there is nothing like running :)
    now imagine if you had to run while holding a 10/20 pound bag....seems hard right? but once you lose weight its like getting rid of that bag (woohoo!) so i promise it'll get easier and more fun and one day you'll feel like you're running on YOUR turf!! good luck and keep it up! :happy:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i am a runner!!!! it's the 1st time i've said that out loud, iykwim!!!

i'm a slow runner- i seem to consistently hit 6.5ks for 50 mins of running! that's about as slow as it gets- walkers go by me at speed! but i don't care!!! i don't care how much i jiggle (i'm still over 200lb), or how much i get in the way of others. i don't really care that i'm not very fast (i do hope to get faster, but i reckon getting the stamina is the 1st priority and speed will take care of itself). i LOVE running....... well, i don't know if i love the actual running, but i love the satisfaction i get from doing it. when i think i can't make it and i want to stop. sometimes i do stop then hate myself because i know i could have gone further. but when i keep going i feel so proud of myself.

currently i'm doing the last 2 weeks of the c210k training, then i'm moving over to the 1/2 marathon training (gulp).

i may not be pretty while i'm doing it, but bloody hell it's given me some determination. it is really addictive.

i started off jogging to 1 lamp post then walking the next 4 or 5- i was too unfit even to jog for 60 secs at the start of c25k!!! but i've spent months just building it up- being consistent is the key i think. that and having an end goal. to begin with mine was just to be able to run 5ks (actually i thought 5 mins was pretty spectacular!!!). my new goal is to run a half marathon in october (but i've made lots of little goals for myself in between, like in 2 weeks i'm re-doing a 10k that i flopped in spectacularly last weekend).

it's awesome you've decided to become a runner. you notice alot more in your street, that's for sure!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's me too - I started C25k program in January and last Tuesday I ran for 45 mins non stop!!!!
    Make sure you get good shoes and a sports bra, read up about stretching... and enjoy!!
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I started C25K at the end of February as a complete non-runner who was exhausted and practically on the verge of collapse after running 100m. My speed was somewhat less than that of an arthritic tortoise.

This morning I ran 5.18km in 33 minutes. I can't believe I've come so far in such a short time. Stick with it, it's absolutely well worth the effort!
  • BeanieB21
    BeanieB21 Posts: 31
    Options
    i dont know if this is any help but theres a marathon runner here and his advice for anyoen that wants to start running is to jog as slow as you can for as long and you can!

Thats basically what im doing, fast pace jog and im out of breath after 2minutes whereas if i do a slow slow jog i can do it for up to 10minutes, my breathing is under control and I'm not putting as much pressure on my legs ( i have bad ankles, knees, back, you name it i have it :P)

Slowly im beginning to build my distance up a little and as it gets easier il start to up my pace a bit too :)

I dont know if this is any help but i find roads hard to run on ( too much impact on my legs) so i prefer a track or a field or woods or anything like that, the ground is softer and there is more spring in your step :)
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    At my heaviest weight of 277lbs I told my boss at the time I wanted to run a marathon one day. Last August (about 8 yrs after this declaration) I started running. April of this year I completed my first cross country half marathon and have submitted my entry into the London Marathon 2012 ballot. I run 20+ miles a week now, joined a running club and consider myself a runner.

To be honest speed is all relative - it only shows 'your' improvement, or not as the case may be. Its more important to get time on your feet, if you consistently do 5k you'd expect to see an improvment over time on how quickly you run that distance. However when you push out the distance you min/mile is inevitably going to go up as the stamina to run out further means you'll likely slower your pace.

Regardless of time and distance running should be fun. Ask yourself if you are enjoying or have enjoyed the run and then you know you are doing it right.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, and doubt I ever will be, in fact I'm still rather stunned that me of all people is having a go at C25K!

I have just done W4 D1, which means that for the first time ever, I have run for a whole five minutes at a time - which sounds ludicrously brief, but only a few months ago a brisk walk was enough to make me out of breath and leave me hobbling with my knee the day after. Strengthening my knee at the gym has worked wonders and now I feel able to push myself at last. Who knows how far I'll get, but it's fun.
    Regardless of time and distance running should be fun. Ask yourself if you are enjoying or have enjoyed the run and then you know you are doing it right.
    What a great thing to remember, thank you. My legs are laughably short, so however fast the poor little things can go, I'm sure that little old ladies with zimmer frames will be overtaking me, but I am enjoying it tremendously.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started the Couch to 5K in February... and I was OUT OF SHAPE. I only ran on the jogging trail in the woods in our neighborhood, bc none of our neighbors would see me there. I ran when it was least likely to be populated by others (mid-morning) and was embarrassed when others were out watching me hobble along.
    Mid-March I ran my first 5K (I was only 5-6 weeks along the C25K program) and didn't stop once. I ran the whole thing and was pleased as punch with my performance. I then started running the roads in our neighborhood in addition to the trail. I now run 3-4 miles a day, 5-ish days a week.
    I have had SO MANY neighbors cheer for me when I run by their house, stop me at the playground to tell me how awesome I'm doing, how they are jealous of how well I'm doing, how proud they are of my progress, etc. I'm so glad I had the courage to start, to not stop, and to run out in the open. :-)
    You can do this! Listen to your body and you can become a runner!