Movie question, circa 1960...

Options
Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
I played the song "Whatever Lola Wants" by Ella Fitzgerald earlier today. She smiled and said it reminded her of a movie she watched when she was around 4 years old (circa 1960), give or take a year.

The movie featured Tony Curtis, who was an athlete who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for more skill, or something along those lines. The devil then sang "Whatever Lola Wants" to him in the movie.

What is the name of this movie?!?!

I've tried searching the song, searching www.imdb.com for Tony Curtis movies (none struck a chord with my mom), and just a general google search. No bones. HELP!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I played the song "Whatever Lola Wants" by Ella Fitzgerald earlier today. She smiled and said it reminded her of a movie she watched when she was around 4 years old (circa 1960), give or take a year.

The movie featured Tony Curtis, who was an athlete who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for more skill, or something along those lines. The devil then sang "Whatever Lola Wants" to him in the movie.

What is the name of this movie?!?!

I've tried searching the song, searching www.imdb.com for Tony Curtis movies (none struck a chord with my mom), and just a general google search. No bones. HELP!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    From Wikepedia:

Whatever Lola Wants" is a popular song, sometimes rendered as "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets". The music and words were written by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross for Gwen Verdon to sing in the musical play Damn Yankees.

The song also appeared in the film made from the play. The song is also used in the movie Kinky Boots.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Kinky boots? Is that one of those "special" movies. :wink: LOL
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    LOL

Mom now says it may not have been Tony Curtis.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    We figured it out....

Damn Yankees

:smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If your mom was going to come back & say that it was Kinky Boots, I may have to question her about some other things. :wink: Her childhood would have sounded very colorful! LOL
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is indeed Damn Yankees. And that was Tab Hunter, not Tony Curtis.

I had the pleasure of seeing the Broadway show with Jerry Lewis in the role of the devil. It was awesome.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I luv'd that movie! :drinker:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Have you heard Sarah Vaughan sing it? Her version is incredible.
This discussion has been closed.