How to beak life time habit of eating sugary foods

Options
NHS choices and many authors such as Nicole Mobay state that sugar is not addictive. Sugar is part of choice and choosing to eat unhealthy. These choices become habits and habits are hard to break. I believe there is an addiction to sugar. Emotional addiction is genuine. Trust me. I would welcome advice on reducing my addiction to junk food!

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Using the word "addiction" loosely, when you are good and ready to break the "addiction", you will do it. If not ready you are only torturing yourself. No excuses!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Calling it an addiction simply gives it more power over you. It's food. Just don't eat it in quantities that make it hard or impossible to achieve your goals. Don't make it into some grand battle of you vs. sugar. Don't make a big deal of it. Just start tracking your calories, and limit "junk" food to an amount that allows you to consistently hit your calorie goal. Trying to completely remove all sugar is probably a poor strategy. I would find a way to eat things you enjoy in moderation while still meeting your goals. In the end, whether you succeed or fail is entirely on you. You have to decide if it's more important for you to achieve what you have set out to do, or eat lots of foods that make hitting your goals impossible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree that thinking of it as an addiction probably doesn't help.

To make it easier on yourself to cut down, I'd start by thinking about your diet as a whole and where you are getting extra calories. For example, if you have a habit of eating mindlessly in front of the TV, change around your habits or maybe remove certain foods from the house for a while, whatever makes it easier. Or simply tell yourself that you can only have certain foods if they fit in the calories you have left in your day. If you find you are snacking a lot, think about changing the snacks or about whether you really need them, why you are eating them, if you need more filling meals, that kind of thing. For example, for me, I was eating pretty well at meals (other than breakfast) when I made them at home, but then snacking on all sorts of stuff (mostly sweet, since that's what's mostly around) at work. When I thought about it I realized this was partly because I was setting myself up badly by having a non filling breakfast, and even more because it was a bad habit and my way of comforting myself if things were stressful or I was annoyed at being at work late or just an excuse for a break. Realizing that I was eating for reasons unrelated to hunger helped me figure out a strategy to deal with it (which for me was mostly not snacking anymore and working on other ways to deal with stress).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Calling it an addiction simply gives it more power over you. It's food. Just don't eat it in quantities that make it hard or impossible to achieve your goals. Don't make it into some grand battle of you vs. sugar. Don't make a big deal of it. Just start tracking your calories, and limit "junk" food to an amount that allows you to consistently hit your calorie goal. Trying to completely remove all sugar is probably a poor strategy. I would find a way to eat things you enjoy in moderation while still meeting your goals. In the end, whether you succeed or fail is entirely on you. You have to decide if it's more important for you to achieve what you have set out to do, or eat lots of foods that make hitting your goals impossible.

This

And sometimes eating at/above maintenance because of a delicious pan of brownies outweighs consistent weight loss results for the week, doesn't mean you've done something wrong or bad.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days to form a habit. Eat properly for 21 days and see if that helps.
  • clarefp640
    clarefp640 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips. Cutting out all food that I am use to can be kind of over whelming. Especially when trying to achieve a lifestyle change. Thanks for the reply
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days to form a habit. Eat properly for 21 days and see if that helps.

I "ate properly" for 4 years. Still ended up binging after a while, and then gave up on that type of diet, and gained weight due to eating even more calorie-dense foods and working out less.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I "ate properly" for 4 years. Still ended up binging after a while, and then gave up on that type of diet, and gained weight due to eating even more calorie-dense foods and working out less.

Glad to hear the success story. 4 years is pretty good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    clarefp640 wrote: »
    Excellent tips. Cutting out all food that I am use to can be kind of over whelming. Especially when trying to achieve a lifestyle change. Thanks for the reply

I cut out all added sugars and refined carbs for a few weeks. Then I slowly incorporated some stuff back and watched my body's and brain's reaction to it.

I've felt very happy with my eating style for about 14 years now and at maintenance for 13.5 years now.

Try cutting it out for 2 weeks and reading labels to see where it's hidden. See how that feels.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was addicted to certain foods. Ones that would make me binge for days on end. When I was ready, and serious, I started by logging my foods for 3 weeks, and avoided the foods I knew would cause me to binge. After 3 weeks I allowed myself substitute treats. For example, I know I can't eat Humpty Dumpty BBQ chips. If I do, I'll eat the whole bag in one or two sittings, then end up buying another 2 bags over the next week. I've realized that I can eat Miss Vickies chips though, and they don't have the same affect on me. I can't eat Hot Tamales, but I can have jelly beans. Etc.

I'm at the point where I've reduced my stress though, so when I do enjoy these foods, it's not as a reaction to a trigger, but just to enjoy having a treat once in a while. Stress reduction was HUGE for me in my weight loss journey. It's almost like I can feel that I don't have cortisol coursing through my veins anymore. It's wonderful. So if you eat due to stress, work on that, and find things you can do (besides eating) that make you happy. The rest should fall into place after that.
  • clarefp640
    Options
    Using the word "addiction" loosely, when you are good and ready to break the "addiction", you will do it. If not ready you are only torturing yourself. No excuses!

• clarefp640
    Options
    Really interesting theory. I do have a very stressful job. There's a lot of pressure and I do look at "rewarding" myself after certain events in my daily job. I quit smoking 14months ago when I realised cigaretts do not reduce my stress but add to it as they are a stimulus. I will look more into this. Thanks!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    10 years ago, when I was at my highest weight and eating nothing but sugary foods all day, I found a food addiction program, I got a sponsor, I eliminated dessert foods, and I dropped 75 pounds. I learned about my addictive behavior around food and I learned how to modify those behaviors.

Over the years, I gained back 40 pounds because of excessive calories. I joined MFP in August, and lost 20 pounds by Christmas.

I listened to the "experts" here on MFP who insist that there is no such thing as food addition because there's no chemical dependency involved. I listened to the people who said I can eat anything, just in moderation.

Well, I said, I can eat in moderation! I just lost 20 pounds eating in moderation AND I have 10 years of not eating dessert foods at all!

So I started eating dessert foods at Christmas.

Once or twice a week quickly became every day. One serving quickly became three or four servings. Food went from "something I eat" to "if I don't get that NOW I will be pissed." My daily calorie limit went from "lose one pound a week" to "maintenance" to "gain one pound a week." My attitudes about food started affecting my moods, and I could see my addictive behaviors returning.

Three days ago, halfway through a tray of brownies, I decided that my little experiment with dessert foods was over.

I am lucky. I have 10 years worth of addiction recovery and tools to get me back to abstinence.

But zero thanks to everyone who said that food addiction isn't real and I can just eat in moderation.
  • clarefp640
    Options
    Wow that's interesting, I'm the same with chocolate. I associate it with happy times, fun times and love. It's my reward food, blah blah blah!. That addiction I think. I work with addicts and physically they are not showing signs ow withdrawing such as high BP or Pulse ect but emotionally they are. Maybe the definition of addiction needs reviewing.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have done the food addiction programs and have never really lasted in them. For one I have a hard time with the idea of having to tell a sponsor every morsel that went into my mouth. Now, I'm not saying food addiction is not real but I'm not sure if everyone that feels they have an addiction to food is actually addicted to food. When I went to the programs I really did feel that I was dealing with an addiction. Since January 13 of this year I've been able to eat whatever I want in moderation. What changed was the power I allowed food to have over me. Whenever I called it an addiction the phrase that would run through my head was "I'm powerless over food" - gave it way too much credit. Also, I have started to become more aware of my feelings. When I am craving something and I have that anxious feeling that I MUST have it, I stop and I think "OK, what just happened? Where did this come from?" and there is always an emotional trigger and for a long time I used food for comfort so I turn to food to feel better (but we all know what a vicious cycle that is) - now, maybe that's the addiction part? Perhaps but just like with everything else, I feel that we really are in control of what happens once that trigger is set off.

For me cutting sugar/carbs out of my diet completely has been a sure way for me to go bonkers and binge. For me THAT leads me to binge.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    laura3977 wrote: »
    I have done the food addiction programs and have never really lasted in them. For one I have a hard time with the idea of having to tell a sponsor every morsel that went into my mouth. Now, I'm not saying food addiction is not real but I'm not sure if everyone that feels they have an addiction to food is actually addicted to food. When I went to the programs I really did feel that I was dealing with an addiction. Since January 13 of this year I've been able to eat whatever I want in moderation. What changed was the power I allowed food to have over me. Whenever I called it an addiction the phrase that would run through my head was "I'm powerless over food" - gave it way too much credit. Also, I have started to become more aware of my feelings. When I am craving something and I have that anxious feeling that I MUST have it, I stop and I think "OK, what just happened? Where did this come from?" and there is always an emotional trigger and for a long time I used food for comfort so I turn to food to feel better (but we all know what a vicious cycle that is) - now, maybe that's the addiction part? Perhaps but just like with everything else, I feel that we really are in control of what happens once that trigger is set off.

For me cutting sugar/carbs out of my diet completely has been a sure way for me to go bonkers and binge. For me THAT leads me to binge.

Yes -- we are in control of what happens once we recognize our triggers.

For some of us, just stopping to think about it works.

For others (like me), eliminating the trigger is what works.

But denying the trigger exists doesn't work for anyone.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Wow that's interesting, I'm the same with chocolate. I associate it with happy times, fun times and love. It's my reward food, blah blah blah!. That addiction I think. I work with addicts and physically they are not showing signs ow withdrawing such as high BP or Pulse ect but emotionally they are. Maybe the definition of addiction needs reviewing.

On this forum, people regularly say that food addiction is not real. And, to some extent that's true in that scientists do not yet know what initially causes the addiction. But, it does create a positive feedback loop that overwhelms the bodies signals to stop eating.

See this if you want to read science: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3147141/

Now, if that's the study I'm thinking of, they were using rats that were from a line of rats already prone to addiction. For instance, a large portion of the human population can drink alcohol regularly without risk of alcohol addiction. But, a smaller portion of the human population becomes addicted. And, even scientists aren't quite calling it food addiction yet. Though, I'm sure it's coming.

There are foods I can't have in the house and there are places I can never go to eat. I cannot have ANY fastfood. If I have fastfood even once, the cravings are right back. Even if I eat right before leaving the house, I immediately get a starved feeling as soon as I sit in my car. My brain is telling me I'm starving so that I will stop and get fastfood. It's been 8 weeks without fastfood, and I no longer get that feeling the moment I get in my car.

We don't keep chips, candy, cake or other things like that in the house. Though, I'm tempted to try mug cake and see if that would work without becoming a problem.

I do have a lot of fruit in the house and when I was cutting back on sugar about 8 weeks ago to get ready for this calorie cutback, I used fruit as a support system.

I started preparing for my weight loss project 8 weeks ago. I quit fast food, and cut back sugar but I was not yet calorie restricting. So, I was eating steak and pot roast instead and that made it easier to give up fast food.

I'm sure that there's a way for most people to include junk food in their weight loss strategy. For me, it simply isn't a possibility. I wish it was.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow that's interesting, I'm the same with chocolate. I associate it with happy times, fun times and love. It's my reward food, blah blah blah!. That addiction I think.

I wouldn't consider this addiction. I'm an emotional eater too, but also an alcoholic, and while I did substitute food for booze for a time after I quit drinking the reaction I have to the two is quite different--misusing food for emotional purposes is distinct from addiction for me, although on the continuum.

I think there are people who have relationships with food that are akin to addiction, whether we call it that or not--binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating. But I don't think it's the case for most people who overeat. (Which is great, since it means I can still have ice cream and pie from time to time and cheese and naan and ribs and everything else I love.)
    I work with addicts and physically they are not showing signs ow withdrawing such as high BP or Pulse ect but emotionally they are. Maybe the definition of addiction needs reviewing.

It's not the withdrawal element that makes the two seem different to me.

One reason I resist the "addiction" tag--in addition to it just not being accurate, being "addicted" to cookies (which contain fat and sugar) and not apples with peanut butter or some such seems to me like claiming to be addicted to pinot noir only--is that I don't think it's helpful. When you struggle with something like emotional eating you can train yourself to cope in better ways and to normalize your relationship with food. Telling yourself that the food controls you and has power over you tends to be a self-fulfilling claim.

I did find it helpful to cut out sugary foods for a while when I first started, to teach myself that I didn't need them, but I see that as more about habit that that I can't control whether I eat a cookie or can't choose to eat a half cup of ice cream if I like. I can. Sometimes it's harder--I've learned that being tired or eating for emotional purposes will screw with my control, but that's something that IMO is worth learning and dealing with. Being scared of the foods or telling myself I can't eat them would not be helpful for me. (Even apart from the fact that it's nice to be able to eat them in moderation.)

My view is that for many putting your focus on cutting out or down on "bad" foods is probably a backwards way to look at it. Habits are built easiest if positive, so (after initially teaching myself I didn't need to use sugar for emotional reasons) I tried to focus on the pleasures of eating a good, healthy diet and then only include more calorie dense and lower nutrient items after my goals for nutrition were met. That limited them necessarily to a moderate amount, but it put the focus on the positive things I was doing, not the deprivation elements. IMO, since I don't think of sweets as something that are naughty and I am not supposed to be having but something I have when I've satisfied my other goals and they fit, there's no pressure to make the most of the one slip-up and keep eating when I eat them. For a lot of people if you think of yourself as bad or naughty or sinful or whatever when eating a forbidden food it becomes easier to go way overboard and then start a guilt and shame cycle that is super counterproductive. For me, then, it's always best to try and think more neutrally and logically about food and just be analytical about why I want to eat, how it's affecting me, etc. (I find this easiest when I'm also involved in fitness, like a workout program or training for a race.)

This isn't particularly focused, because I don't think you've said yet what the particular things are that you are finding difficult. Everyone is different, of course.