Just Finished Lunch - And I'm Already Hungry

Options
PeachyPlum
PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
Oh, and I've already eaten the snacks I packed for this afternoon.

I know it's only a short matter of time before I'm at the vending machine, buying junk to stop my stomach from growling.

I've already eaten more than 1,000 calories today, but it's not enough. I need some ideas on what foods I can pack for breakfast or lunch that will actually see me through the workday!

Because my lunch bag? Can not get any bigger. I already carry one of those tailgating coolers that holds a full 12 pack of beer. My coworkers already laugh at me for eating All. The. Time.

Can I get a diary check?

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My first thought before reviewing your diary was that you might be overloaded on carbs and having a blood sugar spike/crash, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is this a normal issue for you or just today? How is your hydration?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Oh, and I've already eaten the snacks I packed for this afternoon.

I know it's only a short matter of time before I'm at the vending machine, buying junk to stop my stomach from growling.

I've already eaten more than 1,000 calories today, but it's not enough. I need some ideas on what foods I can pack for breakfast or lunch that will actually see me through the workday!

Because my lunch bag? Can not get any bigger. I already carry one of those tailgating coolers that holds a full 12 pack of beer. My coworkers already laugh at me for eating All. The. Time.

Can I get a diary check?

How long have you been reducing? Have you felt this way consistently?

I get that I NEED ALL THE FOODS IN MAH MOUF feeling once a month. Sure, I get some nibbles or a bit of an appetite at other times, but, I swear, there is one day (sometimes two in succession) where there is just not enough food in the universe for my satisfaction.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Did you log absolutely everything yesterday.
    Your daily goal is 1800 calories.
    If yes to both the statements, as per your log you ate 1200 calories yesterday.

Well, someday oneday the body is going to send you those signals. It's today.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Did you log absolutely everything yesterday.
    Your daily goal is 1800 calories.
    If yes to both the statements, as per your log you ate 1200 calories yesterday.

Well, someday oneday the body is going to send you those signals. It's today.

No, I didn't log everything yesterday. I had the same thing happen yesterday where I ended up starving and buying a candy bar at 1pm. By the time I got home from work at 7pm I was STARVING and ended up stuffing my face. It was all good stuff (almonds, veggies, eggs, a protein shake) but I was just too dang hungry to measure and record so I said to hell with it.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Hydration is good, I'm at 45 ounces of H20 for the day (and it's only half over).

Honestly, maybe It's just wicked sugar cravings. I just got back into logging, and while I'm eating way more food than I was a week ago, I'm also suddenly not eating a bunch of sugar.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Hydration is good, I'm at 45 ounces of H20 for the day (and it's only half over).

Honestly, maybe It's just wicked sugar cravings. I just got back into logging, and while I'm eating way more food than I was a week ago, I'm also suddenly not eating a bunch of sugar.

Again...different from a week ago? Are you coming up on TOM? Because, seriously, that can bring on some serious hungries. I go to maintenance those days if I have to, but sometimes just being aware that it's just PMS talking helps me to ignore it and move on.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try jacking up the calories at breakfast with a little more protein, a little less carbs. Ditch the banana. Make an omelette. Your lunch needs more calories and more volume. Pack a thermos with some vegetable soup, work some fish into the mix, eat broccoli.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Again...different from a week ago? Are you coming up on TOM? Because, seriously, that can bring on some serious hungries. I go to maintenance those days if I have to, but sometimes just being aware that it's just PMS talking helps me to ignore it and move on.

Yeah. A week ago, I was eating a lot more sugary foods. Basically in survival mode working crazy hours with no time to do more than grab junk out of the vending machine at work.

It was like that for about 3 months, which is why I'm back to logging after 3 years of maintaining without really needing to log.

I have the same problem when I approach TOM. I'm not (that was last week), but when I am I basically quit counting calorie and eat until I feel full, as long as it's all healthy stuff.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Try jacking up the calories at breakfast with a little more protein, a little less carbs. Ditch the banana. Make an omelette. Your lunch needs more calories and more volume. Pack a thermos with some vegetable soup, work some fish into the mix, eat broccoli.

No time for omelets during the week - I have to leave for work at 4am. Can you recommend any other good breakfast proteins? Maybe stuff that can be prepped the night before and packed to bring to work?
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Add a packet of tuna to the salad, or a serving of cottage cheese with pineapple on the side. Definitely need more protein at lunch.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    He's boiled eggs in the morning. String cheese for fat and apple or berries for some fiber instead of an omelette.

I agree about lunch. Salads have good volume and do a good job of filling you up-for 15 minutes! Some items I'll turn that salad into a sandwich or add cheese, avocado nuts etc and that seems to help
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Yeah. A week ago, I was eating a lot more sugary foods. Basically in survival mode working crazy hours with no time to do more than grab junk out of the vending machine at work.

It was like that for about 3 months, which is why I'm back to logging after 3 years of maintaining without really needing to log.

I have the same problem when I approach TOM. I'm not (that was last week), but when I am I basically quit counting calorie and eat until I feel full, as long as it's all healthy stuff.

This could be it. I was on vacation and eating all the time (I was also biking all the time), and even though I need fewer calories on a daily basis now there's still a sense that I'm missing being able to eat that I didn't have before the vacation (mostly gone now, but my first week back I was wanting to eat way more than usual).

You do have tons of calories left for dinner, though--when I do 1800-1900 calories I'll usually eat more than 50% of it between lunch, breakfast, and maybe a snack rather than saving so much for dinner. I just feel more satisfied.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have learned for me personally I need protein of some kind at lunch. Salad just doesn't cut it and to me seem to make me hungrier which sucks because I like them.For breakfast my husband makes a whole bunch of brekfast burritos like 10-17 at a time and freeze them and only takes about 2 mins in the microwave to warm uo. It does take awhile to get them together but, after it makes breakfast filling and fast.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

No time for omelets during the week - I have to leave for work at 4am. Can you recommend any other good breakfast proteins? Maybe stuff that can be prepped the night before and packed to bring to work?

Omelets can be made the night before - just nuke them gently so they don't go all rubbery on you.

If not omelets, then hard boiled eggs, canadian bacon, ham, baked oatmeal with added protein powder.

If you're open to non-traditional breakfast, just prep stuff you'd eat for lunch.
  • JenMKEWI
    JenMKEWI Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on calories is not easy. It's important to remember that while your body is giving you signs that you are hungry, have you ever really experienced true hunger? It's important to focus on those feelings and when you are experiencing them. Are you bored? Are you stressed? Did a big project just land on your desk that you can't event start to think about? Personally, when I get nervous/stressed about an upcoming work event I am insatiable. But I have learned to recognize those feelings and be ready for when they hit.

Making slight adjustments in not necessarily what you are eating (although that vending machine is not helping anyone :) ) but how you are eating can help significantly. For example if you know you will have the urge to eat later in the afternoon; drink 2 glasses of water before your lunch, and only eat half, then when hunger does hit later, finish the rest of the lunch thus having something to eat but without the extra calories.

• PeachyPlum
    Options
    JenMKEWI wrote: »
    Cutting back on calories is not easy. It's important to remember that while your body is giving you signs that you are hungry, have you ever really experienced true hunger? It's important to focus on those feelings and when you are experiencing them. Are you bored? Are you stressed? Did a big project just land on your desk that you can't event start to think about? Personally, when I get nervous/stressed about an upcoming work event I am insatiable. But I have learned to recognize those feelings and be ready for when they hit.

Making slight adjustments in not necessarily what you are eating (although that vending machine is not helping anyone :) ) but how you are eating can help significantly. For example if you know you will have the urge to eat later in the afternoon; drink 2 glasses of water before your lunch, and only eat half, then when hunger does hit later, finish the rest of the lunch thus having something to eat but without the extra calories.

The number of calories isn't the issue. I haven't even eaten half my calories for the day. I'll have to eat a 900 calorie dinner tonight.

The issue is finding the time and space to bring more calories to work, LOL!
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Is that just counting since you got there?
    Just counting the water I drink at work, and nothing before or after I usually get about 99 oz (3x1lt container), sometimes I will have extra coffee on top of this. But I'm usually low carb, which might make a difference.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Shredded cabbage. Ridiculously filling. You can even dress it at home (will not wilt by lunch). 1.5 cups, 2 spritzes of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic & salt is less than 50 calories and gives you three grams of fibre.

Also cucumber salad (will also be ok til lunch if you've got a fridge obviously) - 1 cucumber, a bit of oil and some vinegar to taste, water (I like lots of water so it's almost like a cold soup).

The vinegar and salt somehow cut appetite.

Or: 1/2 a can of soup. I like Campbell's minestrone; 1/2 can is 100 cals. I add lemon for taste (I think the acidity helps and also it tastes nicer)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    along with more protein in the main, if you're not getting enough