Is this right?

Options
Hi guys,
I need some help. I just starting working out and eating healthier last week. Starting on Monday, I did 25 mins on the treadmil doing HIIT. I also worked out my legs and back using the various machines and free weights. On Tuesday and the rest of the week thru Friday I did HIIT for 25 to 30 mins along with rotating lifting weights for different muscles. Before I waste too much time on something that will not work I want to make sure I am doing this right.
My goal is to lose about 2 pounds a week for a total of 60 pounds. I have been eating clean, between 1600 to 1700 cals a day, with no sweets except sugar in my morning coffee (1 cup) I am a female, 35 yrs old, 5'7 and currently 217, When I started last week I was 221. The last time I lost weight I did it with eating clean and walking a few times a week. No weights.
I lost a total of 40 pounds in 4 months and was able to keep it off for over 4 years until I got pregnant. Now my little man is 18 months old and I want to get healthy and fit.
All replies are gladly appreciated. Even the stuff I don't want to hear.. Lol...

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food? Using a food scale? (can't stress enough how important that is!)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ditto food scale.
    but you didnt mention, are you losing weight at all? maintaining? gaining? what have the results been since starting this regiment.

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. and at your weight and height it looks like 16-1700 calories/day should give you that deficit to lose.

working out is great for overall health don't stop that. and burning extra calories can work towards making sure you have a deficit each week.

you are definitely not wasting your time.
  • nola_girl504
    nola_girl504 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food? Using a food scale? (can't stress enough how important that is!)

Yes I am, I have a scale, and I am measuring everything that goes in my mouth. I just starting using this app to log my food, water and activities.
  • nola_girl504
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    ditto food scale.
    but you didnt mention, are you losing weight at all? maintaining? gaining? what have the results been since starting this regiment.

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. and at your weight and height it looks like 16-1700 calories/day should give you that deficit to lose.

working out is great for overall health don't stop that. and burning extra calories can work towards making sure you have a deficit each week.

you are definitely not wasting your time.

Last week on Monday I was 221 and as of yesterday I was 217, I know it may be water weight, but at least the scale dropped a bit.
    I know I am not wasting my time, I just want to make sure I am doing what I need to do to lose the weight, get fit and toned. Do I need more cardio? Or more lifting? Should I stay with my current routine until I reach a plateau?

Thanks!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great, to me. Keep up your current routine for 4-5 weeks and if you like the results, continue. The intervals will help you torch fat and gain aerobic fitness and the lifting will help you maintain more muscle while eating at a deficit-as long as you are moving real weight (what you can do with good form 10-12 reps, with increases in weight as you go) and not a gazillion reps of light weights. Your rate of loss will slow a bit over time so don't get freaked out about that.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, its a book, you can just google it or check out the MFP group, if you're looking to gettting into lifting. Right now i do 2-3 Lifting days and 2-3 HIIT days/week.
  • nola_girl504
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing great, to me. Keep up your current routine for 4-5 weeks and if you like the results, continue. The intervals will help you torch fat and gain aerobic fitness and the lifting will help you maintain more muscle while eating at a deficit-as long as you are moving real weight (what you can do with good form 10-12 reps, with increases in weight as you go) and not a gazillion reps of light weights. Your rate of loss will slow a bit over time so don't get freaked out about that.

Just so I understand, by Real weight you mean heavier than the norm? lifting More than what I can do? How many sets of 10 reps should I do? 3?

Thanks for the help!
  • nola_girl504
    Options
    Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, its a book, you can just google it or check out the MFP group, if you're looking to gettting into lifting. Right now i do 2-3 Lifting days and 2-3 HIIT days/week.
    Will do, thanks for the advice!