what apps do you use for running to lose weight

Options
I am looking to lose twenty pounds in the next month eating right and working out. Has there been any apps that someone has used to help them lose that much? Thanks

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I know you aren't asking about this but is 20 pounds in one month realistic?
  • itistara
    itistara Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, I have done it before by working out and eating clean, thanks
  • itistara
    Options
    Even if i lost ten or 15 i would still be happy
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in a month is really aggressive and unless you are really overweight, it is not even healthy. Why do you have to lose it in a month? That amount of weight should take you months to lose, not just one month. Running can definitely help you lose weight, just like any exercise will. But, it won't be a miracle solution. When I started running in the middle of January, I thought my weight would fall off, but I only lost three pounds from then until the end of February (which is still good, BTW). I am just now getting back to 1.5/2 pounds lost a week, but I still have about 70 pounds to lose to be to my goal weight.
  • HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    If you're going out running, and not using a treadmill, you could use Map My Ride, it tells you how far you bicycle, run, or walk.
  • redskiednight
    redskiednight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ignoring any weight loss goals (20lbs is silly IMO), I use a fun app called Zombies, Run! Running from zombies to keep you motivated in a gameified way is pretty fun and gets you running for at least half an hour each time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to map my run. I exercise to be healthy, and watch my intake to lose weight.
  • HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    I would set a smaller goal. Because if you don't reach it, it could be discouraging and you don't want to get discouraged from living a healthy lifestyle. :smile: either way, good luck!
  • calithulu
    calithulu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run!
    It makes a game of running, tells a story to entertain, and... zombies! Definitely my favorite running app.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper. It tracks running and a number of other activities and links into myfitnesspal
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't run to lose weight. I only use an app to track my pace, mileage & routes. So, I use RunKeeper. I think it provides calories burned? But, I don't trust it.
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love ZombieRun!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For running? I like Runkeeper, but have also used MapMyRun.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper and C25K to keep me doing more each run. I like to listen to music while I'm jogging, so I don't know if I could do the zombie run. Maybe I'll give it a try.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Runtastic, mapmyrun, google fit, ooh I'm going to look at the zombie run app now
  • michellew424
    michellew424 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun, the free version doesn't have many ads, it syncs with myfitnesspal, it syncs with a ton of workout gear if you have it and it's been pretty accurate for me. I like being able to create routes on the site. You can also use your phones GPS and maps while using the app to track your workout/route.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I find the "tie your shoes and head out the door" app is best... followed quickly by "oh damn the weather sucks, head to the basement treadmill" app. No other ap necessary.

And 20 pounds in a month? Yer funny. I'll be watching...

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't run to lose weight. I only use an app to track my pace, mileage & routes. So, I use RunKeeper. I think it provides calories burned? But, I don't trust it.
    I'm the same. I also used Cook to get me started. I have used endomundo but the GPS wasn't working properly on my phone.

Unless you are severely obese, it's not healthy to expect to lose 20 pounds in a month. Try making small changes that will lead to real lasting results over time. Find a realistic calorie goal (look into something called TDC and find out your BMR) and exercise, maybe running or maybe something else, for your fitness. Good luck.
  • itistara
    Options
    I have zombie run and zombie 5 k. Yes they are both fun. Thanks for the apps everyone.