Can you honestly judge your portion sizes and how long did it take you?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it though, I suppose it's only a useful skill for foods I'm not preparing at home ..I find weighing quite natural so it's no effort at all
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It's a game I've been playing with myself for years. I'm really good at estimating ounces on the kitchen scale. So when we had to play a "guess the weight" game at a Christmas party, we had to pick up items from a table and guess. Guess who won?

Still, I religiously use my kitchen scale.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    At it for two years now and i still use my scale/
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Heh, when I'm using up the remaining egg whites left in the carton, I'm always pretty amazed at how many more grams shaking out the last few drops adds to the total weight that I've weighed out. I always expect maybe it'll add another gram or 2 with the final shakes of the carton, but it adds something like 10-30 more.

I will eyeball stuff that's so low calorie it's barely worth the bother of precise weighing or logging, like celery and cucumbers.
    Also almonds. Each almond weighs about a gram, and after a good while of weighing almonds and this seeming to be always the case with almonds, I just count the number of almonds I'm going to eat and log that number as grams.

I probably eyeball other stuff from time to time, but I can't think of anything else right now. Just about everything that's not single-serving pre-packaged will get weighed.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope! That's why I have the scale :p
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I can do it with most things I eat frequently, but that's because I've weighed it out into the same dishes probably a hundred times or more. I know exactly what 55g of veggie ground round looks like in a pan and I know exactly what 15g of goat cheese looks like because I eat them several times a week, but I still weigh them. It doesn't really take any extra time and then I know what I'm eating.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am very good by eye, but just to check sometimes I'll eyeball it and then measure it to make sure, gotta say most of the time I am dead on so I don't weigh and measure as much as I use to but I keep myself in check ;) I'm also great at guessing the calorie content of foods, but I have been tracking food in some form or another since I was a teen. * sigh life long process
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    After being on this journey for awhile, I'm really good at judging most things. Since I use the same bowls/plates, I pretty much can eyeball it. However, just to keep my skills sharp every once in awhile I'll eyeball it and then weigh/measure it to make sure I'm on track. Note - weighing and measuring everything stresses me out way too much. As long as the scale is moving down, I'm good with the eyeball method.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I can get pretty close (usually within 5%), but I still use a food scale almost always because it is more precise.

To be fair, I have type 1 diabetes, so I've been eye-balling carb amounts (because it makes a difference for insulin dose) for about 20 years.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get close, but not close enough. I actually tend to underestimate most of the time
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm good with grated cheese :D

I often wonder if there is some kind of school hypnosis programme in the States that indoctrinates you all into loving Peanut Butter?

Lots of parents here feed their kids a peanut butter sandwich multiple times per week. It's super quick to make, and keeps at room temp. Plus, even picky kids will usually eat it.

There may have been entire weeks where I had PB&J for every lunch and still was not bored with it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good...I'll slice some cheese (aiming for 30g) and it'll be 29 or 31g. Or I'll put some peanut butter on my apple, and it'll be 19g (aiming for 20).

I didn't use to weigh most foods and I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby, so I must've been doing something right. I do weigh now (losing after my 3rd baby) and I'm losing at the same rate.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm OK for most things. My tendency is to shortchange myself rather than the reverse.

I do have a problem with larger fruits/veg. I'm just not used to grams and can't seem to get the hang of what 300+ grams looks like. Most things I've been measuring are under that.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Some things I have memorized like popcorn if I use the exact same bowl or container. Some extreemly low cal things in the veggie catagory I feel are not worth the bother, so I don't sweat them. But in general I can't trust myself to get it right, I end up thinking it "looks" like I can have more when Its actually at the measurement or slightly over. I don't like being a slave to the scale, but I do a lot of home cooking and need to use it. If I ate "pre-packaged" frozen dinners etc, I could relax a little, but I am trying to give up overly processed (and over priced) foods. So the work continues...
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for about a year and a half now and I'm pretty good at eyeballing things when I think about it. The problem for me is when I'm not using a scale, I typically don't even think about portion size until after I've poured it and I always over pour then realize it's way too much.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So after 9 months of weighing and conscientiously logging this morning I free-poured my eggwhites into the bowl I've used every morning to see if I could adequately judge portion size without looking at the scale.

aiming for 80 - 100g, I actually poured 126g (I appreciate that with eggwhites that means diddly-squat)

so it seems I've still not quite got it

if you judge portion sizes how long did it take you to train yourself to do it somewhat accurately

I can cut exactly two ounces of ham. I can also get cheese really close to one ounce, think .9 or 1.1 close. But, as soon as I quit weighing, I start sliding right away.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been using my food scale for nearly a year and I'm just starting to get to the point where I can estimate really well on certain things. My best ones are cashews, peanuts, (whole nuts, not peanut butter like most of you :p ) and shredded cheese. This is probably because I'm holding it in my hand and feeling the size instead of just looking at it. If I'm putting peanut butter or some other delicious breakfast spread on toast, I'm usually very close since I know how much surface coverage a tablespoon will get me.

But still...I weigh everything. It's a miracle the batteries haven't died in my scale yet.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Im pretty good, I have no problem maintaining if on holidays or going somewhere for an extended period without my scale, but when I'm home I still always weigh because I like knowing for sure
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    After being on these forums for a while, I checked myself just to be sure. Yeah, I'm pretty good at eyeballing everything I've checked.

Of course, I started my obsession with nutrition young. I've been counting calories in some way on and off since I was about 12 or so...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It depends on the week and what kind of food it is. I'm awful at eyeballing egg whites and peanut butter but pretty dang good with cottage cheese most of the time.