Looking for easy breakfast smoothies

Options
Hi guys I need your help on an extreme task.

Trying to up my vegetable intake but having a hard time finding good breakfast smoothie recipes to support my lifestyle; gluten free, dairy free and I only eat whole foods so no protein powders. I can do nut butters as a replacement for protein and also for it to be filling. Where I am in the world its very hard to find coconut water, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk and so on, not to mention if I do it will be expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is an extreme task.

I'm not sure of a great source for recipes. If I were you, I'd just put a bunch of *kitten* in a blender and see what happens. Is Tofu an option, or other vegetable protein sources?

Nut butter + banana + veggies + whatever liquid you have handy?

Fruit + veggies + liquid?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Too restrictive for me. I would just stick to eggs for my protein, and blend whatever fruit you want in the portions that will fit your goals to find what you like. Nuts and nut butters fit better as a source of fat than they do for proteins. Without dairy, I would stick to eggs for breakfast.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a nutribullet and put half the canister filled with green leaves such as spinach, kale, spring greens etc, a handful of something sweet such as berries, apples or tinned pineapple, a spoonful of linseed and a few nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts) plus water up to the max line. The nuts puree down to create a creamy consistency so there is no need for almond milk. There is lots of calcium in the green veg which is good for dairy free diets. Also nice if you pop in a banana and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. Quite often have a boiled egg along side to make sure protein is high enough.
  • jaimecondo
    jaimecondo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you really need those things to make your smoothie edible...chia seeds, flax are great additions. organic baby spinach is not to expensive and tastes good in drinks. berries are better frozen and they are cheaper that way. More greens and less fruit and I always put in half banana. Good Luck. Also look up making your own nut milk. I have never done it but many recipes out there/
  • noash88
    noash88 Posts: 2
    Options
    Woow thanks guys for many great suggestions. I didn't think of adding the nut as a whole before and also a great idea to add the flaxseeds. After some thought tomorrow I also got the idea of using cooked beans in the smoothie, it will supply some carb for energy and some protein, I will experiment with different ones to find a bland tasting beans or legumes. What do you think about that?