New to cycling...any tips or advice?

Options
I have just started riding with our local cycling club and so far in 3 days I have biked 43 miles. I ride a very heavy steel frame mountain bike and I am currently looking for a lighter framed road bike. Any tips or suggestions for a newbie? I really think I would like to try a beginners triathlon but not sure. I am open for any suggestions or advice being on equipment, form, biking tips, clothing etc. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would just be a little careful to not go from zero to all kinds of miles overnight. Make sure you're getting rest too and make sure you're fueling yourself appropriately and not underfeeding.

In RE to bikes, you'll want to get out there and try some out. Identify what kind of riding you'll be doing most and let the folks know at the store...a lot of people get enamored by the sexiness of a racer when really, they would be better of with a road bike built for endurance (more comfortable), etc...just know what you're looking for and take your time. For a solid entry level road bike, expect to pay about $1K plus any other gear you may need.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started cycling like you on a mountain bike that I swapped the tires for road tires. I didn't want to make an investment in a road bike until I knew it was something I wanted to get in to. After one season of riding that bike I decided to invest in an entry level road bike that I paid $750. I've been riding that bike for about 3 years now and love it. I'm hoping in the next year or two to upgrade to something a little better (lighter, better gears, etc.).
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am realatively new to cycling too. My wife is an ironman triathlete and I wanted to be able to ride with her (part way :). I did my research and decided that the Giant mid-priced line got me the most bang for the buck. (Avail (W) Defy (M). Have over 1K miles on it since last year and still very happy with it. Go ahead and spring for clip pedals it makes a huge difference.
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks cwolfman13, I have been running for over a year and a 5k every weekend, just my motivation to get out there and run, lift weights two days a week in the gym but at a careful progression and limits, so I promise I won't jump in too fast too much and our rides were at a leisure pace last week. The group is awesome about staying with the newbie. I really think I want a roadbike and looked at a Giant Avail and a Trek Lexa yesterday. I was measured and was pleased the bike shop didn't try to sell me an expensive model but was conservative in showing me entry level models. I am happy with an entry level bike and that way if I don't stick with it I am not out a lot of money and if I do want to upgrade, I can use it as a spare/back up or let my son/husband ride it.
  • brahmergirl
    Options
    njfitnessmom, thank you! I never thought about swapping the tires...that might help...I too think I could ride an entrylevel bike for a few years and be fine. Maybe upgrade when I see what I really want to do...
  • brahmergirl
    Options
    kishstl..congrats on wanting to ride with your wife, that is awesome! Wish my husband would ride wiht me but the only thing he wants to do is workout in the gym...my son will run 5k's with me but he blows me away and waits on me at the finish line. He can run them in 21 min. Add an extra 10 minutes to that and that is when I cross...I am looking at the Giant avail myself...Glad to hear you like it...and I will look into the pedals!

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to the 'mad house' that is cycling & us cyclisti.

Come & pay us a visit in the Bicycling - Road & Mountain forum, the Century Plus Cycling forum & there's even an MFP Strava Cycling Club forum.

As far as bikes are concerned, go to reputable a local bike shop & have yourself 'properly measured' for a road bike. I would suggest spending as much as you can afford on a decent bike, rather than one you will become frustrated with after a few months... The lighter the better.

Obviously, all the major players out there have nice bikes on offer; Trek, Giant, Specialized etc. but there are also some smaller manufacturers who have some good kit out there too...
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I started on a steel commuter bike (use it to go to work and back) which made me more comfortable on my bike but way too heavy for those long rides. So, I finally invested on a carbon fiber bike (yes, it's pricey but isn't any hobby these days with the exception of running?).

Go to a local bike store, ride a steel frame bike vs. carbon fiber frame bike and you'll see the difference. Also, if you do invest, make sure you get fitted for that bike. Hope this helps.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks cwolfman13, I have been running for over a year and a 5k every weekend, just my motivation to get out there and run, lift weights two days a week in the gym but at a careful progression and limits, so I promise I won't jump in too fast too much and our rides were at a leisure pace last week. The group is awesome about staying with the newbie. I really think I want a roadbike and looked at a Giant Avail and a Trek Lexa yesterday. I was measured and was pleased the bike shop didn't try to sell me an expensive model but was conservative in showing me entry level models. I am happy with an entry level bike and that way if I don't stick with it I am not out a lot of money and if I do want to upgrade, I can use it as a spare/back up or let my son/husband ride it.

It depends on the manufacturer, but be aware that some brands upcharge their women's bikes (as compared to the equivalent men's/unisex models). There might be some difference in geometry--women tend to have longer legs, proportionally, than men, so the top bar on women's models might be a bit shorter--for the same size, so if you find a woman's fit most comfortable, by all means go with that! Otherwise you might be hunky dory and save a little money, for the same components, sticking a lady-specific saddle on a unisex bike. (Since chances are you'll be upgrading from the stock saddle anyway.)

Many bike shops will have a demo program that allows you to test out saddles to find one that is comfortable before you invest, too!