Self sabotage

Options
Been doing well but I kind of got fed up at the weekend and purposely went out my way to stuff my face. I've now got it under control but I don't know why it happened and I didn't feel hungry. Now I'm annoyed about those extra calories. I don't have a lot to lose but by me self sabotaging is even more difficult to catch up as I'm already on low calories. I feel though I do it every few weeks and I really need to break the cycle. Any advice?

Replies

• jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It sounds a bit like emotional eating. What made you upset? When you start feeling like that, I find it best to do something to distract myself like going to the gym, going for a run/walk anything that involves me moving (generally away from the fridge!)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to lose but by me self sabotaging is even more difficult to catch up as I'm already on low calories.

If you don't have a lot to lose, I'm not sure why you'd have a low Calorie goal. Or am I misunderstanding you? What are your stats (height, weight, age, Calorie goal, goal weight)? It sounds like it's as simple as your expectations/goals not being realistic.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It happens to me right before I get my period. Every month, without fail. That could be it if you notice its happening regularly. Also, you could be bored, stressed or emotional. Its good to eat at maintenance every couple of weeks while dieting, so for me I make that week during my crazy appetite weeks and still lose regularly without having to stress about it. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It's fine. As long as it's not a consistent thing. Life is about enjoyment and if someone is so stuck on adherence to a diet of nothing but "nutritionally dense" food, they miss out on some flavors and tastes that bring a smile to their face.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but judging from what you said alone and your reference to "been doing well but I kind of got fed up", I'd say you might be limiting yourself too much. It's easy to burn yourself out if you're cutting all of the fun things out of your diet and keeping it really low calorie. Food is food, and there's no reason for limiting yourself (except in keeping it all in moderation). I'm not sure if that's the issue; a look at your diary would help. Either way, moderation is key to not going stir crazy and binging on the things you wish you could (and can!) eat every day. :) Maybe try implementing some of those guilty pleasure foods regularly?
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It happens to me right before I get my period. Every month, without fail. That could be it if you notice its happening regularly. Also, you could be bored, stressed or emotional. Its good to eat at maintenance every couple of weeks while dieting, so for me I make that week during my crazy appetite weeks and still lose regularly without having to stress about it. Good luck.
    ^^^ this. before TOM I WILL need to eat more food. I allow myself to eat at maintenance if I want. No harm done.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it. Instead of waiting for the binge frenzy to happen, try to have a cheat meal once a week, like on Sundays. That way you have something to look forward to every week and your not subconsciously freaking out that you'll never be able to have delicious food anymore.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no use living in the past. log it and move on.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I try my best to stick to 1400 calories 4 days a week and then at weekend I'm well into the 2000. I'm losing at 0.5lbs a week so really I'm not limiting myself. I think I get fed up as I want it come off over night as I've about 12lbs to lose and had 14lbs originally. Plus I've got a sweet tooth and just go off the rails on sweet treats.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain :/ I'm terrible with this...I have about 45 pounds to lose and I just can't seem to make progress because of a lack of willpower. It's something I'm working on, but it can be so hard to make new, healthy habits and ditch the impulsive eating...
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That's just matter of self-control then, which I struggle with to! But you just need to keep trying. :) This is a learning curve for sure. You're still losing, which is good.
  • lamb_Samantha
    lamb_Samantha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    ^^^ this. before TOM I WILL need to eat more food. I allow myself to eat at maintenance if I want. No harm done.

• Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I have noticed I don't eat a lot of protein probably just at dinner. Do you think eating more protein throughout the day helps with sugar cravings?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try to balance the excess across the week. You can give yourself the room to be a little bit more flexible. If you ate 500 calories over, try to make that up with 100 extra calorie deficit over the next five days. And if it's too hard to "make it up" then just make SOME of it up. But the bottom line is to not stress it too much. Our bodies have needs that fluctuate day to day and hour to hour. It's ok if you don't hit your number perfectly every single day.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I don't get a period either due to the type of birth control however maybe I get the symptoms?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't get a period either due to the type of birth control however maybe I get the symptoms?

You will still have a hormonal cycle even in the absence of menses. I know that I have Mirena and still suffer from swollen tits and cyclic acne, but nary a drop of blood...
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm on nuva ring and use it to skip my period but still go through the symptoms.

However, as a small chested lady - I enjoy the swollen tits! :D *Boob Envy*