If you're 5'1 or 5'2 how many calories do you net to lose weight?

Options
hi Guys,

So I have a question. I'm 5'1 and over the last two weeks I netted at 1,300 calories per day for the week. According to my fitness pal I should have lost weight. In fact I gained two pounds. If you are 5ft - 5'2 how many calories are you netting per day in a week and are you losing weight?

I'm so frustrated. Please help. :)

Replies

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1300-1400 calories for me and I'm 5'1. That's a loss of 1-1.5lbs a week. But remember weight loss isn't linear and you won't see a loss every week. Were you eating foods high in sodium? Was your water intake enough? Lots of factors effect how your weight will show on a scale. Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off. Also make sure to weigh all your food to be sure that that is how many calories you're eating
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, how accurate is your logging? Do you weigh your foods? Unless you weigh your foods, you don't know your daily calorie intake. I would start here:

Logging accuracy, consistency and you're probably eating more than you think

It is one of the stickied announcement posts at the top of this forum :)

Some other questions, are you working out? What percentage of exercise calories are you eating back? Are you logging everyday activities such as cleaning the house?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cherylk_27 wrote: »
    hi Guys,

So I have a question. I'm 5'1 and over the last two weeks I netted at 1,300 calories per day for the week. According to my fitness pal I should have lost weight. In fact I gained two pounds. If you are 5ft - 5'2 how many calories are you netting per day in a week and are you losing weight?

I'm so frustrated. Please help. :)

How long are we talking here? 2 pounds is like an extra 7,000 calories. I would guess the weight you gained is just water retention. Sore muscles, high sodium meal, TOM....water retention.

You have to give it more time. You are young....1,300 should be low enough to lose weight.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2" and I was losing at around 1400.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I try to stick to 1400 calories 4 days a week and around 2000 the other 3 days. I'm losing o.5lbs a week slowly but do able. 5ft 2
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It very much depends on your weight and activity level. I am at 2400 per day and lose about 0.5 lb a week. I will point out what someone else said, make sure you are weighing your food accurately. Measuring cups and just going by a serving size are inaccurate. As well make sure you are checking to make sure the entries you use match the labels on the food you are eating. People enter wrong information all the time!
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    netting probably 1200-1300 a day. i eat around 1400-1500 and exercise to earn some. sometimes i eat some back depends on how hungry i am i am 5ft
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How old are you? How much do you weigh? I'm 42, 5'2". When I was losing I started with a net of around 1400-1450. As I lost, i had to cut that and would net around 1300. If you're younger, you should lose fine with more.

Do you weigh and measure your food? When I started weighing and measuring, I found out pretty quickly that what I thought was 1300 calories, sadly, wasn't. It's ok though, I started eating better food and more of it. :smile:
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    netting probably 1200-1300 a day. i eat around 1400-1500 and exercise to earn some. sometimes i eat some back depends on how hungry i am i am 5ft

sorry to note i am 28 and 147lbs . started eating 1200 and netting 1100 which was clearly not enough as i stopped losing. i am now losing at 1400
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and MFP has me on 1200. It depends on your current/starting weight. If you're 5'1" and you're 20stone you'll be allowed more than if you start at 10stone. Same with activity levels. Make sure you've recorded whether you're sedentary or active.

Exercise will help boost your metabolism. Do you measure your waist and hips? You can gain/maintain weight but still change shape.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm at 1350. I weigh 194 lbs.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 years old, 5'1, eats between 1300-2200. It varies on a given day depending if we are eating out or not. Three things that are constant- I run 6 miles 3 days/week and 3 miles 3 days/week, 3-4 days weight training/week, long bike ride (40 miles) once a month or in the summer 4 hours kayaking.

Personally, the key is allowing myself to indulge on food from time to time. And to stay very active. The extra lbs will slowly go away. Nic~
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 2 and im on 1380. i don't exercise due to disabilities so i concentrate on the eating side of things. i log everything and im losing a steady half to one pound each week.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am 51 yrs old and 5'1". I mainly net between 1300-1400 calories. I do not eat back exercise calories most days. I have been maintaining for 7 months. I drink warm lemon water daily to help ward off water weight. You may be just dealing with water weight. Just continue to be consistent and the weight will come off.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200-1300 calories, plus exercising 6 days a week, eating back my calories, and I'm on week 3. I'm not seeing much for results yet either, but I'm expecting it will happen soon.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I try to stick to 1400 calories 4 days a week and around 2000 the other 3 days. I'm losing o.5lbs a week slowly but do able. 5ft 2

Can I just add I'm 123 pounds aiming to 110.
  • Cherylk_27
    Options
    Hi Everyone, thank you so much for the feedback. It fills me with hope. :)

I weigh all of my food and use a Polar FT 60 to track calories burned during workouts. Do you think my FT60 is inaccurate during yoga when my heart rate doesn't get too high? I was beginning to wonder that.

I do eat back my calories from exercise sometimes. It's usually after an intense muscle building workout. Over the last 3 weeks I have netted less than 1400 calories. I thought that would be bought to lose weight.

Should I not add my calories burned and eat less than 1400 per day?

What do you do if your at your max for the day and still hungry because you went to the gym late at night?

Any more tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    At 5'1, my recommended calorie intake is 1450 calories, but I have it set to 1400 ;)
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    5'2" I net 800 - 1200 on any given day. Some days 800, some 1200, others in between. If I net more than 1200, I gain.
  • fighting2bfit89
    fighting2bfit89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" I net 1200 most days. If you're just starting out give your body time to adjust to the changes. Also I suggest weighing yourself less & tape instead. Keep up the good work & just keep moving.