Runners help!!

Options
Hiya, ive been running for a three weeks now and it doesnt seem to be getting any easier, my legs are so tired even when im running they feel heavy Ive been pushing thru the tiredness however and am seeing good results in my shape changing ect. Will it get easier if i keep at it like i have been?

Replies

• erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will - but I personally found it a long learning curve. Make sure you're not doing too much - your body needs time to recover so you will need to have rest days. I find I can only run every other day, some people find they can do four or five times a week.

Build up your distance slowly, and don't feel you have to run to your max speed, sometimes slowing down a little can make all the difference.

Good luck.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ive been running for years. It does get easier. It gets to the point where you miss running when you dont run. That's how much you will crave it! Keep up the good work and it will become a lifestyle... and you will love how it makes you feel AND look!! Good luck!!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It does get better if you are consistant. I find if I leave too many days inbetween runs I will struggle a bit. My muscles hate me :)
    Keep at it and results will continue to show up! I find running peaceful and when I am done a run stretching is very important to loosen up those screaming muscles!!! Good Luck. Add me if you would like :)
  • lmdurst
    lmdurst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My son who just finished track and field came home with some good lessons - make sure that you take time to recover. Recover can be seen as restocking your potassium, salt and water levels in your body (he recovers from a good run or work out with chocolate milk and a banana); recovery can be taking a nice ice bath which is good for your leg muscles (he did this after a practice and in the morning before a meet and said his legs felt lighter all day); and recover can be a day off - totally or just do another type of exercise that works a different part of your body.

I started running with my son last summer. We were doing anywhere between 3 to 9 miles each day. After 3 weeks we put in over 100 miles - my legs were sore and my hips started to bother me, so much so that I had to take time off. When school started up and our life got crazy busy, running took back seat to my daily routine of the stationary bike. Now with spring here, I started to run outdoors again, but I do rotate with other cardio activities - stationary biking some days, elliptical trainer some days, running/walking on the treadmill and running outside. By rotating through these different activities I have been able to continue exercising more regularly without getting as sore and bored.

I hope this helps...you are doing a great job, enjoy moving your body and take care!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    How long are you running for during a workout? After having each of my babies (6) I got back into shape by running. This time I have done running, plus some workouts that strengthen my legs (JM 30 Day Shred). I got up to 3 miles in 4 weeks by doing interval runs:
    week 1: run 1 min, walk 3 for 36 minutes (9 intervals)
    week 2: run 2 min, walk 2 for 36 min.
    week 3: run 3 min, walk 1 for 36 min.
    week 4: run the whole time.

It made it easier on my body. I don't know if this is of any help to you. The other thing I would recommend is doing some strength training, squats, calf (sp?) raises, lunges. You could run an interval and then do squats, another interval and then lunges, then pushups, etc. That way you are working and strengthening your entire body, not just the cardio for your legs. Another thing that helped me to stay with it was setting a fitness goal. If you set a goal to do a 5K, you are more likely to keep up with your running. Good luck, keep with it!!! You can do it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Heavy legs are dues to a) not eating enough carbs. You need carbohydrate to provide your muscles with energy to run.
    b) low iron or c) over training. Unless you are running more than 4 times a week, it's probably not over training.