Have I ruined my metabolism? Please help!

Options
I posted recently as I was concerned about how much weight I could have possibly gained whilst overindulging at home for easter (for just over a week) after a few months of quite strict calorie restriction (about 900 per day, sometimes less).

Well, now I have been back at uni for a week and a half, sticking to 1200 a day, and finally braved the scale. I am 7 pounds heavier! I didn't think you could gain 7 pounds in a week. I can only think I have ruined my metabolism by restricting for so long. I guess this is the 'yo-yo' effect everyone warns you about.

So my question is, where do I go from here? I am 5"4 female, 20 years old, lightly active, and currently weigh just under 116lb (BMI: 19.9). I have less than a month left at uni, after which I will go home for the foreseeable future and I find it MUCH harder to calorie count at home as I am not in control of the cooking, etc. I know I can change that, ande I hope to, but for now, I really want to lose weight while I can whilst hopefully boosting my metabolism back to normal so that the same thing doesn't happen again.

Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    there may be other reasons for the weight gain. are you heading for the TOM? Have you been eating high Salt foods?
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BMI of 19?? how realistic is further weight loss?
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think you might have set your BMI too low. Your body probably doesn't need/want to lose any more weight. I'd have another look at your target weight, too, as that IMO would put you into the underweight band. Take care!
  • YvetteSmith69
    Options
    I would increase my activity. Minimum of 30 minutes a day, longer if you are already doing that. Also, 25 to 40 grams a day of fiber in your diet. Fiber helps to get things moving and keeps you feeling full.
  • jannapurna
    jannapurna Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At 5'4'' and 116 pounds, you are at the low end of a healthy body mass index. As Torsaer said, your target weight would put you at underweight!
    Perhaps you don't need to be losing weight, but toning instead.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on this one: why do you want to lose more weight? You're almost out of the healthy range and into underweight as it is, and you had to stick to an unrealistic caloric intake to stay at that super-low weight. Your goals are apparently unrealistic for your body.

And yes, severe caloric restriction over several months has probably slowed your metabolism.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown than men prefer a BMI of 20.85, as BMIs go higher, they way men rated women slowly decreased, but as BMIs dipped lower, the ratings SHARPLY decreased.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    stop worrying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE HEALTHY!!! so just try and pick good choices when you are at home, if you still feel fat, have your body fat percentage measured and if its a lil too high, spend your time concentrating on building muscle and reducing fat but maintaining your weight so you may need to eat around the 1600-2200 mark depending on your activity level. you maybe suprised that it was the toned and tight and healthy body you were after not the bag of bones look. i hope you choose right.xxx
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown than men prefer a BMI of 20.85, as BMIs go higher, they way men rated women slowly decreased, but as BMIs dipped lower, the ratings SHARPLY decreased.
    What the hell is this to do with anything? is THIS why woman starve themselves half to death? Because of what men apparently prefer? She is trying to live on 900 cals and less, as well as fasting one day a week. Her body is screaming out for some grub, that's why it held onto whatever she ate over Easter, it's desperate for food.

And by the way, you stick a woman with a BMI of 20 in front of my man he would lead her by the hand to the fridge!
  • rcochnar
    rcochnar Posts: 11
    Options
    900 calories per day seems pretty severe. Sounds like you were probably starving yourself which isn't going to help you lose weight.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What the hell is this to do with anything? is THIS why woman starve themselves half to death? Because of what men apparently prefer? She is trying to live on 900 cals and less, as well as fasting one day a week. Her body is screaming out for some grub, that's why it held onto whatever she ate over Easter, it's desperate for food.

And by the way, you stick a woman with a BMI of 20 in front of my man he would lead her by the hand to the fridge!

Actually, women are the ones who usually overestimate how thin men would like them to be. Case in point being OP's 19 something BMI. Yes, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with you that she needs to eat some grub and her body is in starvation mode. At this point, a BMI of 20.85 would be an >improvement<. She may not want to listen to individuals, but perhaps a scientific study that backs up a higher BMI as more attractive might get through to her. And yes, if you show a man an unfit woman with a 20 BMI, he'll lead her to a fridge, but a toned fit woman will happily go to the fridge on her own and eat back her exercise calories. The study specified a range of BMIs from 18.5-22, with 20.85 being the "peak". The finding that ratings SLOWLY declined with more weight vs. SHARPLY declining with lower weight shows that women are better off a bit fluffy than a bit boney.

I'm quite with you that women need curves to look attractive & healthy. I've recently posted in the fitness forum about weighing the benefit of weight loss against my rising waist-to-hip ratio, looking for more ways to build out my hips to keep a feminine appearance. I'll take curve over that core-conscious prepubescent boy look any day!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    At 5'4'' and 116 pounds, you are at the low end of a healthy body mass index. As Torsaer said, your target weight would put you at underweight!
    Perhaps you don't need to be losing weight, but toning instead.

I agree with this. The goal should be to look fit and healthy, not skinny and gauntly.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Unless you are vastly erroneous in your calorie counting, the extra weight is likely just water retention (it will go away)