How do frozen grapes taste?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I bought a huge bunch (no other option at the store I was at). Wondering if the texture will be same as fresh or worse (doubt it'll be better).

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Like grape popcicles. One way I get my daughter to eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomatoey
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Like grape popcicles. One way I get my daughter to eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Lol! Cute :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    They taste great frozen. Somehow they seem a little sweeter to me, though I could be imagining that. The texture is fine.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    If you let them defrost, though, does the flesh have a funny texture? Most things are a little ruined by freezing :(

Otherwise I'll have them like popsicles :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    They taste great frozen. Somehow they seem a little sweeter to me, though I could be imagining that. The texture is fine.

"Fine", though? Or a little, I don't know - thready, pulpy, mushy... (that is what I might expect :/)

Not like I'm going to power through all of these this week anyway though, lol
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I have never let them defrost, so I don't know about that. When I freeze them, it is because I want to eat them frozen! They are like healthy popsicles :-)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I have never let them defrost, so I don't know about that. When I freeze them, it is because I want to eat them frozen! They are like healthy popsicles :-)

Lol! Ok, I'm going to try it and shoot for that :)
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

You could always try defrosting just a few to see how it changes the texture. If you don't like them defrosted, just eat the rest frozen. I know they are good frozen.

• tomatoey
    Options

You could always try defrosting just a few to see how it changes the texture. If you don't like them defrosted, just eat the rest frozen. I know they are good frozen.

Good idea. 2/2 for awesome when frozen, I'll take those odds :)
  • caitlynchristensen
    caitlynchristensen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also frozen pitted cherries are excellent as well as blueberries! And you can sprinkle a little cinnamon and stevia on the blueberries and they are awesome:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you let them defrost, though, does the flesh have a funny texture? Most things are a little ruined by freezing :(

Otherwise I'll have them like popsicles :)

Fruit & Veggies with a high water content don't freeze and thaw without texture change.

They're not necessarily ruined, you just need to use them differently. Celery is a veggie example, the thawed texture is fine for soup, but not for stir fry. A little too soggy (IMO).

Lots of frozen fruits are great for baking and smoothies. Things where texture change won't be so obvious.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    They taste great frozen! I rarely eat fresh grapes anymore because as soon as I buy them, I wash them and freeze them. Best way to eat them!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Like candy. Really refreshing in the summer- like a food and a beverage at the same time. But you don't want to thaw them again, as they then turn to goo.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i like them frozen solid. they taste really good.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit in general is pretty general. I threw some figs from our tree into the freezer last year and enjoyed the frozen figgies weeks after the plant stopped producing.
  • godswill206
    Options
    I bought a huge bunch (no other option at the store I was at). Wondering if the texture will be same as fresh or worse (doubt it'll be better).
    Frozen grapes are YUMMY!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love frozen grapes, I love Popsicles so this is a great alternative.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like frozen grapes. It just takes away from the crunchy texture that I love from fresh grapes. I always get the firmest so when I bite into them they burst. The frozen are just too slushy but, I appear to be a minority. I am very very picky about my grapes.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love them. My mom would give them to me in the summer in the south when it was 100+ degrees and crazy heat index. This makes me feel like a kid again. I am going to have go and get some to freeze.