Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Dry measure.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weigh it before cooking. Almost all nutrition labels list the weight for the item raw/uncooked. Some people need or want to portion out their serving sizes after cooking. That's fine as long as you keep in mind that you can't use the weight from the nutrition label when you do that. You'll need to seek out an accurate entry that's specifically listed for cooked pasta.

These are two really great guides for logging, just in case anyone lurking this thread needs more info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you're in a pinch, a fair estimate is that 2 oz of dry pasta will absorb water while cooking and weight 4.5-5 ounces once cooked (about a cup in volume). It will vary a bit depending on how long it is cooked and what shape of pasta you're cooking. So, if you want to be accurate, it's best to measure dry.
  • 6365melanie
    6365melanie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In the UK the pasta is generally listed as cooked..which is crazy...who cooks a load of pasta and then weighs out what they need! It's all in the small print...check the label, they'll list how much a portion size is of dried uncooked. Then list the calories & other nutritional info as 100g (cooked).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't use the weight of cooked because firm pasta is holding less water than mushy pasta. Water has zero calories.
  • FITM0M30
    FITM0M30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am happy to hear it's 2oz dry. That seems to be enough pasta for lunch
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK any the pasta I buy goes by uncooked weight. I weigh it in the saucepan before adding the boiling water.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    According to the packet of pasta I have from Tesco 75g of uncooked pasta weighs 170g when cooked. The nutritional value was based on uncooked weight (as sold). But then I checked a packet of macaroni from asda and it was based on cooked weight so will have to watch out for this!