In need of a mostly home made chicken soup recipe.

Options
art2314
art2314 Posts: 10
I am looking for a chicken soup recipe that I can log on here. What I mean by mostly home made is that I don't want to make my own stock. With college and kids I don't have a lot of time. Don't mind prepping the vegetables.

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    How about Swanson broth? Add boneless, skinless chicken breast, whatever veggies you like and maybe a few egg noodles? I make this a lot and it is very few calories (veggies are practically free) and filling.
  • Tokyotfrog75
    Tokyotfrog75 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is my go to recipe, but I use frozen egg noodles from our local grocery store freezer section.
    ETA http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/10/best-crockpot-chicken-noodle-soup.html

The Best Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    6 cups chicken broth (use my EASY homemade broth or low-sodium)
    1 cup water
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
    2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles (recommend brand is No Yoke, see note below)
    3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

NOTE: In the comments, you will see that a few people have reported their noodle disintegrating after adding them to the crockpot. I have no idea why this is happening, and have NEVER had that happen any of the times we have made this soup. BUT, I have only used No Yoke brand noodles. Other people have also reported success with No Yoke Noodles and Walmart Generic brand noodles. If you do not have access to those brands of noodles and are concerned, you can also just boil your noodle separately.

Directions
    1. In a 6 quart crockpot place whole chicken breasts on the bottom and top with , carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf.

2. Next add in chicken broth, water, and season with salt and pepper to taste. I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours.

3. Remove cooked chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place chicken back in to the crockpot. Now add in egg noodles and parsley.
    Cover and cook just until noodles are tender, 5-10 minutes.
  • art2314
    art2314 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Another great recipe and it makes a ton. You can have leftovers to take to work or school.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/amish-chicken-corn-soup.html
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Here's mine and it's awesome.

Southwest Chicken Chile Soup
    Makes 8 servings, 259 cal. each/ 2 g. fat / 33 g carbohydrate

7 C. Swanson fat free low sodium chicken broth.
    3 c. cubed cooked white meat chicken (can use canned if it's drained)
    1 can chipotle corn or Mexican corn (1.5 C.)
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 C. chopped onion
    1 C. chopped celery
    2 cans (121g each) diced tomatoes
    1 diced jalapeno (less to taste)
    2 C. cooked white rice
    1 - 1.5 tsp celery salt or regular salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 - 2 tsp. ground cumin

Combine everything, bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

A half hour before serving, add a good bunch (about a cup) of chopped fresh cilantro.The cilantro makes a big difference.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like this one and it is so fast and easy (I do add some garlic): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-chicken-noodle-soup
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make a creamy chicken noodle soup which is 240 calories with the brands I buy I put it in a rotisserie chicken fill it up with water above the chicken boil it until it comes off the bone or you can take it off yourself and then I put 2 cups of chicken gravy mix the dry mix which equals out to 16 tablespoons - 35 calories a tablespoon and I buy it from cash and carry a store that sells food for restaurants and then I put a cup of chicken broth that I bought from the store 1 16 ounce bag of egg noodles and then you just cook it all like that tilts a little thick and then I put the servings into big muffin cups 12 of them and freeze and then I run water over them on the bottom to pop them out into big gallon bags and freeze them easy to use put in the oven microwave sorry for three and a half minutes and it's as good as a store bought creamy super in a russ drop soup my phone wrote the wrong thing sorry again saying it's as good as a restaurant
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I make mine from chicken pieces, or a leftover turkey carcass with a good amount of meat left on it. Unfortunately, that means some variables in calories, etc, but this is my base recipe, that I make in a pressure cooker:

Uncooked chicken pieces--ie, 2 bone in breasts, 2 whole legs (my mom used to use something called a stewing chicken, but I can't find those), removing as much skin as you can beforehand, OR a turkey carcass (not as good, but a good way to use that up after Thanksgiving).
    1 cup carrots (baby carrots, or regular carrots in thick slices)
    1/2 cup celery (mom would leave it in large pieces because she would remove it afterwards, but my DH likes it in, so I chop it up)
    1 med onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp thyme leaves (optional, but I like it)
    1/2 tsp salt (may need to add more when it's done, depends on your taste)
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    10-12 cups water (depends on how much room the chicken takes up)

Put it all in the pressure cooker, bring to pressure, & cook 15 minutes if you can allow it to cool down naturally (takes a few hours) OR 30 minutes & cool in the sink under cold water.
    Remove the lid, strain the broth into a clean pot, add back the vegetables & the meat that you've taken off the bone (this is the time consuming part). Serve over cooked rice, noodles, or baby pasta if desired

I've never tried this in the crock pot, mainly because mine is only 4 qt, & my pressure cooker is 8 qt, so I can make more.

This may be more homemade than you want, but it's very good!! Since I use the pressure cooker, it's pretty hands off. If you make it ahead, & refrigerate it, you can take off the fat that rises to the top.

If you want something really easy, cook some carrots, onion, celery, garlic in about a cup of chicken broth, add it to whatever quantity of broth you need to make enough for your family, & tear up some meat from a supermarket rotisserie chicken. Serve with noodles or rice.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I make my own too...love it! It's better with homemade stock but just fine with other stock. Making your own means you can amp up the veggies and minimize the pasta or rice.

I sautee diced onions, diced carrots, and celery (tons of all 3) in a tablespoon of olive oil
    Once sweated, I add a couple of cups of stock and simmer until veggies are fork tender
    Then add more stock, the chicken I'm using and a handful of 2Xfiber pasta. Cook until pasta is tender....season to taste

I made it this weekend and tracked the recipe in MFP, think it was under 100 for a cup because I had so many veggies in it!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This is good and easy:

Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup

2-3 lb chicken breasts, diced
    2 tsp refrigerated, minced garlic
    5 cups water
    2 1/2 Tbsp chicken bouillon
    1 tbsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1 16-oz pkg frozen soup vegetables
    1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 can (15-1/2 oz.) white beans, drained
    1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, do not drain
    1/3 cup barley, uncooked

Directions:

Dice chicken breasts, removing fat.

Add all ingredients to Dutch oven (large soup pot).

Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks I roast a chicken. When I'm done with the majority of the meat (I leave some one so the soup is nice and meaty) I toss the carcass in a 3-4 cups of store bought broth and simmer it until the bones are soft and all the meat has fallen off.

That takes about 3-4 hours on low. Then I strain it through a mesh strainer (a regular one lets tiny bones through). I put the liquid back in the same pot and add a 1-2 cups of water because it will have reduced down a LOT while simmering. I add washed but unpeeled carrots. I like LOTS of carrots so I add a lot, I cut the in about thirds before I toss them in. I LOVE parsnips in my soup so those go in as well. I also had about a half a bunch of parsley. Not chopped, just torn off the bunch and tossed in. A few stalks of celery washed and cut into large chunks. 1/2 of a large yellow onion quartered. A palmful of peppercorns and some pink Himalayan salt. I simmer this on low until the carrots are soft.

Next I pick through the mesh strainer to get all the good bits of meat out and put it into whatever tureen/storage container I'm going to finish everything into. I dump the bones from the mesh strainer and wash it off for another use. Once the carrots and parsnips are soft (but not mushy) I strain the liquid again, this time on top of the meat that I put in the tureen/storage container I'm going to use. I fish the carrots and parsnips out of the strainer and toss them in with the broth and meat.

I like to serve it over either fine soup noodles (I love the Manishewitz brand) or regular wide egg noodles with the soup. I serve the noodles on the side so they don't get soggy and people can add as little or as much as they like.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe for Chicken Noodle, but thought I would share a few that are in heavy rotation in our house because they are all made with mostly the same pantry & freezer items. When I can, I will make my own broth. I might buy bone-in thighs & debone them or buy a rotisserie chicken. (Please note that these calorie counts may not be 100% accurate but I try to scan barcodes whatever I can.)

rr0wsoewe7ad.jpg
    ^This one is actually a little more complicated. The seasoning is taco seasoning. And you don't rinse the black beans. & Puree half of them for the broth.