TACO TUESDAY!!!

Options
Angelfire365
Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
It's Taco Tuesday. I've been making taco's for Tuesday for a few years now; usually start with hard shells (old el paso) and seasoned ground chicken or turkey, then load on the lettuce and tomato, sometimes a slice of avocado if I've got it, then top with some cheddar and light sour cream! Does anyone here do Taco Tuesday? How do you get your southwest on?

Replies

• retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Taco Tuesday is somewhat of a tradition at my grandparents. You know I eat there every week! Home cooked tortilla shells with beans, lettuce, ton of onion, and avocado... and I always make it fit in my calorie allotment. Yum, yum! :P

Edit to add: CHOLULA.... can't forget the Cholula!! :P
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I too frequently, tho' not always do Taco Tuesday. I switch it up. I rarely use ground meat tho' - usually sliced steak, or sliced grilled chicken, sauteed garlic shrimp, or my favourite: hallibut. (I cube the hallibut, roll it in eggwash, dip in panko crumbs with Greek Seasoning, and pan fry in a little bit of extra virgin coconut oil) Top all with the usual fixings. Yummm. A couple weeks ago, tho' not a taco, still Southwest... I made grilled chicken and Avocado Quesadilla using Laughing cow wedge cheese instead of cheddar. Little bit of hot sauce and bam - delicious!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I eat tacos all the time - usually chicken now though. I use soft taco shells, heated up on the stove and I make my own taco seasoning. I put lettuce, tomato, onion, a bit of cheddar and some sour cream.

Just had these on Sunday, leftovers last night.
  • pradosaskia
    pradosaskia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yay! You just gave me an idea. I love tacos
  • Angelfire365
    Options
    Taco Tuesday is somewhat of a tradition at my grandparents. You know I eat there every week! Home cooked tortilla shells with beans, lettuce, ton of onion, and avocado... and I always make it fit in my calorie allotment. Yum, yum! :P

I am intrigued; what is CHOLULA?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

I am intrigued; what is CHOLULA?

Hot sauce like Tabasco, Tapatio, Valentina...

I don't do taco Tuesday, but I do make tacos mostly on the weekends... I heat up the corn tortillas, some carne asada (flank steak), and top it with my BF's guacamole (which includes hard boiled eggs in it). Very delicious!! :yum: I love using Valentina hot sauce on them too!!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    We do taco Tuesday! Usually grilled chicken (thigh is so much better than breast) and either shrimp or steak. Lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, guac, cheese. So yummy!
  • doretha75
    Options
    We do Taco Tuesdays some time
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have random taco day. Monday was beef and bean taco day. The family had theirs with flour tortillas this time. I had mine on top of some spinach as more of a salad I guess.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I recently made these huevos rancheros tacos (couple times) posted on MFP and they are amazing! I was skeptical going into it but they are probably my favorite tacos now.

blog.myfitnesspal.com/huevos-rancheros-tacos/
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    mexicans-be-like-i-want-a-hot-body-but-i-also-want-tacos-nacho-libre-jack-black.jpg
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Today is apparently enchilada (casserole, though I do have regular type in the freezer, also) day here, although coincidentally. Besides, since there is no day of the week that starts with "e," enchiladas gotta get their lovin' when the opportunity arises.

(Side note, but "taco tuesday" now makes me think of Haven. I have a love/hate relationship with said show, but the taco tuesday episode is pretty solid)

10qkojs.jpg
  • napybynature
    napybynature Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military, so every Tuesday has been Taco Tuesday for the last few years. T_T Today it didn't look so bad. I was going to have a chicken fajita, but after I got out the chow line I discovered the chicken was undercooked. So I wound up eating two bags of cashews from the vending machine.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The other day I tried a recipe from Ree Drummond "the pioneer woman" and it was out of this world.
    Cut and seasoned 2 chiclet breasts with taco seasoning. Cook in oil with a can of diced green chiles.
    Use that chicken to form tacos with corn tortillas and fry them holding the tortilla down to keep the taco closed. Fry until brown and crispy. Then take them out sideways letting the oil drop out of the taco. Place the tacos inside a pocket of paper towels and shake to finish getting rid of the extra oil.
    Right out of the frying pan open the shell and put cheese on it.
    Then your favorite hot sauce, lettuce and sour cream.
    They are super yum!
    Very high calorie tacos but worth it for a cheat night.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As long as it's Taco Tuesday and not TAKOS TUESDAY.....

That being said, bean N' greens are a staple around here and can be made southwestern style and wrapped in a toasted flour tortilla with a little bit of cheese and low-fat sour cream (and Cholula or Tapatio sauce)

Sautee 1 small chopped onion, with 1 tbsp olive oil & approx 1 tbs cumin seed over medium-high heat until the onion translucent
    Add 1-3 cloves minced garlic, something to make it as spicy as you want (a few chopped pickled jalepeno rings are good), and a shake of Mexican Oregano, sautee until the garlic aroma changes
    Add 1 can rinsed beans - I typically use black beans or kidney beans if taking this southwestern - sautee about 5 minutes
    When the beans are heated through, Add 3-4 cups torn greens - dinosaur kale, collards, arugula, spinach (whatever your CSA sent this week)
    If you used black beans, finish with a squeeze of lime

• Angelfire365
    Options
    Oh you guys, this all sounds freaking amazing!
  • takem247
    takem247 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love tacos with Turkey meat and then I use a low carb soft shell. I truly think it tast better than beef. I'm a meat eating machine so tacos are figured in the diet for this guy lol
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love making shrimp tacos sometimes for something a little different.
  • kashrich
    kashrich Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i have everything you have in the taco except the taco itself - instead I use a very crispy lettuce leaf and pile ground lamb, cherry tomatoes, low cal coleslaw and grated hard cheese - yum! much prefer the fresh crispy flavour of the lettuce than the taco shell itself. Lower cals too. bonus
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sunday I put some chicken in the crock pot...Love how juicy and tender it gets....so I just used some of that and added taco seasoning and some rotel...and made shredded chicken taco salads with refriend beans, cheese, homemade jarred jalapenos and a touch of sour cream (no taco shell or bowl).