Belly Fat Over 40

Options
Why is it so hard to lose belly fat over 40? I'm just 40, and after a couple years of distance running, daily workouts (mixing cardio & strength training), and decreasing my caloric intake (while tracking it here), I still can't lose a $%^& ounce of my spare tire (love handles included). I tried eating 1200 calories a day and I gained belly fat. Now I'm at around 1400 and trying to eat veggies, lean proteins, and minimal carbs except when I do my long runs. I'm beyond frustrated and am disgusted at the sight of it. I'm now trying to increase my strength training because I've read muscle burns more fat. Suggestions or commiseration?

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is a really great thread - I highly encourage you to read it
    -
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have read that and am following it almost to the T. Just have to have more patience I guess and keep working. Just sucks to continually not see results.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Scroll through my profile pics to see my belly-fat before-pic at 45. Then see the no belly- fat abs at 46. All done through diet, with a *healthy* sprinkling of road and treadmill miles. No ab specific workouts, no weights. Just diet and running.

You have to keep losing ... and losing ... and losing. I thought when I got down to 180 (from 204) it would be gone. Nope. It was 160 before the spare was gone and 150 for the abs to pop. 30 more pounds than what I thought.

If you still have unwanted belly fat, then you have more dieting to do. Keep losing continuously and regularly and you'll get there.

It's really just a waiting game if you've got your system dialed in and are already losing consistently.

• anabarbarosie
    anabarbarosie Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1400 calories? In my opinion, that's too low. Did you calculate the needs for you body? Especially if you're active... The more active you are, the more you have to eat in order for the body to be healthy. It needs fuel to function properly. If given too little food, it will "hang on" to anything you eat and store it as fat. It is its way to survive the starvation! I would recommend iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and keeping an eye on how your body reacts to your nutrition (both quantitative and qualitative) - listen to it and adjust it as your body tells you to.
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, patience is key. I've been lifting weights for a few years now and have seen some small results, but I think what is key is the eating. I'm really trying to focus on that now too...getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and I've also lowered my fat macros to 15% and keep my carbs at 50% and protein at 35%. I can usually start seeing results as to how my clothes fit within a few weeks of staying consistent with the eating. I guess slow and steady wins the race, but it sucks waiting!!! Good luck to you. Hope you start seeing results soon!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's that belly fat specifically collects after 40 (not sure of the science on this, though). I think for many people, the first place fat collects is on the tummy (not all people, obviously). But I don't think after 40 or thereabouts you're going to suddenly begin gaining weight on your tummy v. other areas, as compared to a younger person - if that makes sense. At the end of the day, it's really just too much fat, and it's fat storage and where one's body prefers to store it.

FTR, I'm 47, ALWAYS gained first in the belly and yup...it's always the last to go, too. :neutral_face: But it all boils down to: I have too much fat on my body. Where my body likes to store it first and keep it longest is on the tummy.
  • anabarbarosie
    anabarbarosie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I don't think it's that belly fat specifically collects after 40
    Actually, it does. Not for everybody, obviously - there always have to be the lucky ones :p - but the metabolism slows down after a specific period of years (usually after 30). It depends on many factors, especially the lifestyle and diet of the individual.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    FTR, I'm 47, ALWAYS gained first in the belly and yup...it's always the last to go, too. :neutral_face: But it all boils down to: I have too much fat on my body. Where my body likes to store it first and keep it longest is on the tummy.

45, and exactly this.

But it was the same thing when I was in my 20s and 30s.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's that belly fat specifically collects after 40
    Actually, it does. Not for everybody, obviously - there always have to be the lucky ones :p - but the metabolism slows down after a specific period of years (usually after 30). It depends on many factors, especially the lifestyle and diet of the individual.

Right, the metabolism slows down (though perhaps not as much as people think it does), but as far as fat actually redistributing to the belly simply due to being 40+...that's the party I'm not too confident about.

Fat gain in general? Yes. But too much belly fat boils down to, well, just too much fat. For some people - many people - that means the belly.

• scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this year and losing the belly fat is my primary goal. I am slowly losing weight using MFP (about 1 pound per week) and I am trying to mix basic weight training with cardio (running) 2-3 times per week.

Not seeing tremendous improvement yet on the abs. It seems like I am developing muscle "underneath" the fat on the belly. This just seems very hard.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm just going to keep on keeping on, continuing to learn and try and hopefully I'll see some results eventually. Really appreciate the comments and suggestions!
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I turned 50 this year and losing the belly fat is my primary goal. I am slowly losing weight using MFP (about 1 pound per week) and I am trying to mix basic weight training with cardio (running) 2-3 times per week.

Not seeing tremendous improvement yet on the abs. It seems like I am developing muscle "underneath" the fat on the belly. This just seems very hard.

But that's good!

Remember, you diet to look good.

You exercise to look good naked.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I agree, patience is key, as we can't spot reduce. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    1400 calories? In my opinion, that's too low. Did you calculate the needs for you body? Especially if you're active... The more active you are, the more you have to eat in order for the body to be healthy. It needs fuel to function properly. If given too little food, it will "hang on" to anything you eat and store it as fat. It is its way to survive the starvation! I would recommend iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and keeping an eye on how your body reacts to your nutrition (both quantitative and qualitative) - listen to it and adjust it as your body tells you to.

<sigh>

I give up.

I'm just gonna have to start letting these go ...

• nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    This lady looks younger than 40 but she is my motivation and she worked very hard to get rid of that belly!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMJdytTSXU
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem till I hit 40, and it settled perfectly on my belly :grumble: