Protein Shakes

Options
So, I've been against protein shakes since forever... Even while in the midst of my high school athletic career, I absolutely refused to drink protein shakes. I always saw them as some sort of poison, or the cheaters way of getting protein. Now, that I've been in college for some time, and nonetheless living alone, its a tad difficult for me to get the protein I need nowadays. With practically a ZERO budget to afford the sort of meat I'd like to buy, I have now been considering the protein shake.

Does anyone know of any good brands? I've been looking at whey protein specifically. I'm not looking to bulk up, I am not a man!! Haha. I just mainly need it for muscle recovery after a workout, and of course for lean, tone muscles and a trimmer waist in the end. Details on the suggested brand would be nice. :]

Replies

• carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    SDC About Time Protein Powder is good, it is sweetened with Stevia, it only has 4 total ingredients.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use "Gold Standard 100% Whey" 24g of protein per scoop and very easy to drink + lot's of different flavours :)
  • BigStizaff
    BigStizaff Posts: 4
    Options
    I use EAS 100% Whey Protein (chocolate....can't stand the vanilla). It mixes really good. It has 23 grams of protein and only 130 cal/serving. It tastes pretty descent especially if mixed with 1-2% milk (makes it a little bit thicker too). I hope this helps.
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use "Gold Standard 100% Whey" 24g of protein per scoop and very easy to drink + lot's of different flavours :)

You'd have to be the bajillionth person to tell me about that product. I guess there is something going on here that I've been missing... lol. Maybe I should jump on that band wagon, too! Which flavor is best do you think?
  • niavalentino
    Options
    I use EAS 100% Whey Protein (chocolate....can't stand the vanilla). It mixes really good. It has 23 grams of protein and only 130 cal/serving. It tastes pretty descent especially if mixed with 1-2% milk (makes it a little bit thicker too). I hope this helps.

It is helpful! I'm overall just trying to have a better grasp on what people are using, whats effective, and what is healthy for my body in the long run. I heard about EAS as well and that the vanilla wasn't so pleasant. I wonder why...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

You'd have to be the bajillionth person to tell me about that product. I guess there is something going on here that I've been missing... lol. Maybe I should jump on that band wagon, too! Which flavor is best do you think?

I've tried "double rich chocolate", "banana cream", "chocolate mint" and I started today on "strawberry banana" I would say that the double chocolate one or mint choc is the nicest, they taste really yummy :) I didn't like banana cream too much, a bit too artificial tasting. Strawberry banana is a little articifical tasting too but surprisingly nice, a little bit like a mcdonalds strawberry milkshake but not thick.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I drink power 90, 200 calories and 45 grams of protein, plus its reasonably cheap. No way I could come close to my calories without it.
  • 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    There is a new protein powder on the market NeoCell Collagen Sport. It has 30 grams of protein, 123 calories, 0 sugar. What I like is that its half whey and half collagen..the collagen is there for muscle recovery, but its also good for hair skin and nails. A protein drink with a beauty side benefit!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey or Xtreme Formulations Cinnamon Roll.

As for protein shakes being a "cheater's" protein source....try eating 200-225g of protein without a little help and still maintaining <50g without at least one shake.
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use phd pharma whey protein. a 25g serving with 250 mls water gives you 20g protein, 2g carbs, 2g fat and only 101 calories.
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    I love GNC Lean Shake 25. The vanilla tastes like cake batter, and the swiss chocolate is great. I add bananas, or berries, plus I use Almond milk for Iron. Some ice, and it is fantastic! It fills you up, and leaves you satisfied.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Look for a protein that has protein isolate listed at or near the top of the ingredients as opposed to concentrate.

Also look for one that doesn't add too much more to the powder e.g. gums and colourings. You probably wont be able to avoid artificial sweeteners, so make sure that the protein you buy has the sweeteners listed towards the bottom of the ingredient list.

Look at the per 100g serving information and try to find one that has at least 80g of protein per 100g.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    So, I've been against protein shakes since forever... Even while in the midst of my high school athletic career, I absolutely refused to drink protein shakes. I always saw them as some sort of poison, or the cheaters way of getting protein. Now, that I've been in college for some time, and nonetheless living alone, its a tad difficult for me to get the protein I need nowadays. With practically a ZERO budget to afford the sort of meat I'd like to buy, I have now been considering the protein shake.

Does anyone know of any good brands? I've been looking at whey protein specifically. I'm not looking to bulk up, I am not a man!! Haha. I just mainly need it for muscle recovery after a workout, and of course for lean, tone muscles and a trimmer waist in the end. Details on the suggested brand would be nice. :]
    Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize are my personal favorites after trying more than 4 or 5 brands.
    And you won't get big unless you're eating BIG.
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    I would just make sure you one with at least 23 grams per scoop. I use GNC Pro Performance Whey Protein but I have also used Muscle Milk , EAS. and Extreme Labs which has a whopping 30 grams per scoop.
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The best taste BY FAR has to be Shakeology. The Chocolate Shakeology is AMAZING- "lick the blender" good is what my friend says. Even better though is all the other good things that come in the shake. It only has 140 calories and over 70 ingredients. There is no comparision. I have wasted my money on all the others and at this point I refuse to drink something that I have to talk myself into. Everyone I know who uses it looks forward to driniking it. Not to mention they are so sure you are going to love it that you have the "bottom of the bag guarantee" Use the whole bag.... if you are not 100% satisfied... send the empty bag back and get your money back. Its a nothing to lose (but inches, pounds, cholesterol) kind of shake. Love it!!

May 23 I have a 6 week slim down challenge starting. We are ALL using Shakeology and a tough love with a party atmosphere. Let me know if you want any info on the Shake or the Slim Down challenge! Both WILL get you results!

Steph
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    SDC About Time Protein Powder is good, it is sweetened with Stevia, it only has 4 total ingredients.

Wow!! Thanks. I was literally looking for a good, natural, low ingredient, pure protein just 10 min ago. Thank you so much for posting this!!! Where do you buy yours from? I found this: http://www.shopabouttime.com/Whey_Protein_Isolate_2_Pounds_s/28.htm

I was looking at Optimum Nutrition as well, which is also very pure. http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/natural-products-c-11.html

Also Standard Process which my chiropractor offers: http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=1383

The more I read about Muscle Milk and other proteins that are loaded with artificial sweeteners and ingredients, it more they scare me. Especially when used post workout, your body is craving nutrition to refuel. Some studies show you body is at max absorption for up to 45 min after you are finished working out. So why put a bunch of artificial junk into your system?? If anyone else has some great and pure protein or other great supplements, please share! Thanks for your help :)
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have used the GNC Amp pro performance and Muscle milk light both are pretty tasty. I found also purchasing a blender bottle makes making the shakes super easy since it gets them mixed up better and they have super good lids that don't leak or make a mess.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing, unless you want to give agay 10+ bucks, don't buy in stores. I use muscleandstrength.com and others use bodybuilding.com.
  • ARMYSTRONGFAM4
    Options
    I also use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey everyday. I have 1 shake a day. I have only bought vanilla so I can add sugarfree Torani syrups to make different flavor. I got the torani 6 pack variety online at amazon.com. I mix mine with nonfat milk and sometimes I add PB2 powder to bump up protein or I add click which is good too. I stick it in my blender with a few ice cubes and then throw it in my shaker bottle and take it with me. I am going to GNC today tho to get the chocolate 1!!
  • niavalentino
    Options
    Wooooooooooooooow. I returned to see all these posts, and my head nearly EXPLODED! It looks like its time for me to do more research on all of these products and then make my way over to a store to finally choose one.

For those of you who do use protein shakes, do you use it as a meal replacement mainly or for muscle recovery? And if you do use it for meal replacement, what results have you seen that might differ from using it strictly for muscle recovery only?