Put on a pound!

Options
I have been doing my fitness pal for the last 12 days for the first time. I was really happy with my progress and had lost 4 pounds in those 12 days, but this morning I weighed myself and I have put on a pound! I did eat pasta, cheese and a few chocolate cereal bars yesterday, but it fell within my calorie allowance and I did swim that day for an hour and a half. Does anyone know why this could have happened? I would really appreciate some advice.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Weight varies on a day to day basis but as long as the long term trend is down all is good.

That said, possibly just a fluid gain..it will probably go overnight.
  • cubsterofthesea
    cubsterofthesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tiptoe :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    but it fell within my calorie allowance

So are you actually calorie counting and weighing your food with a scale? If not do so or you will be forever guessing whether you are at deficit or not.

Your body will fluctuate 1-4lbs a day anyway, so it might be a natural fluctuation or not.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    Yes, I have been strictly calorie counting everything very carefully, but I will also get some scales......good idea. Thanks for the info :)
  • 999tigger
    Options
    You arent calorie counting properly if you are not weighing. Give it more time and be patient you are looking fo a trend not a consistent loss at a set rate.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    Ok, thanks, but do you mean that taking the calories written on the packet of a product does not count as calorie counting properly? I use a tablespoon to measure any butter I use etc.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Read this

Weighing is the most accurate method and will give you the best chance of losing. Your 1lb gain might be real weight gain or it might be a natural fluctuation.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    Thanks Tigger :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake, hormones (especially if you're nearing ovulation or TOM as a female of age), increase in exercise, stress, sleep levels...they all cause weight fluctuations, which are normal. You would have to eat 3500 calories over your TDEE for that pound to be entirely fat.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Sodium intake, hormones (especially if you're nearing ovulation or TOM as a female of age), increase in exercise, stress, sleep levels...they all cause weight fluctuations, which are normal. You would have to eat 3500 calories over your TDEE for that pound to be entirely fat.

Great information to have, thanks for taking the time :)
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take a look at sodium. Over the past weekend, I was within my 1200 calorie limit ... got on the scales Sunday morning -- up 2 pounds. By Monday morning, lost 2.4 pounds. You can sure bet I was worried over the weekend, then looked at the sodium content of a chicken salad sandwich I had eaten from Firehouse Subs. Don't panic ...
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    Take a look at sodium. Over the past weekend, I was within my 1200 calorie limit ... got on the scales Sunday morning -- up 2 pounds. By Monday morning, lost 2.4 pounds. You can sure bet I was worried over the weekend, then looked at the sodium content of a chicken salad sandwich I had eaten from Firehouse Subs. Don't panic ...

I will bear the sodium content in mind from now on. Thanks :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight isn't static and weight loss isn't linear. There will always be fluctuations...more/less waste in your system from previous weigh in...water retention/release...hormones, etc.

Just do the math...to gain an actual pound of fat you would have to over eat your maintenance calories by 3500...and even then, it's not quite that simple.

I can easily fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day and it has nothing to do with fat.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    weight isn't static and weight loss isn't linear. There will always be fluctuations...more/less waste in your system from previous weigh in...water retention/release...hormones, etc.

Just do the math...to gain an actual pound of fat you would have to over eat your maintenance calories by 3500...and even then, it's not quite that simple.

I can easily fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day and it has nothing to do with fat.

Many thanks, I am learning so much on this site :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Definitely, many variables affect weight. As long as the trend is downward, the day to day numbers will vary. As I recall, I went on a kick over Christmas vacation to put 20,000 steps on my fitbit every day for two weeks. And because of the extra effort of my muscles, I immediately "gained" three pounds. I knew it wasn't real weight since my calories were on target.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates..like others have said.

I've put on 4lbs this week..but I also recently started strength training and ovulated. I drink sufficient fluids and weigh my food..so while the number going up was slightly disappointing, I'm not worried about it.

Just keep working on it. :)
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When you first start balancing your life, water weight can come off relatively quickly and then your body balances out and you either plateau or gain a small amount. Don't let it stress you its only a pound. Weight loss is not Linear.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: We had sushi last night. The scale was up 4.5 pounds today over yesterday
    I didn't eat over maintenance, and certainly didn't eat that much.
    I had soy sauce.
    I had wine.
    I had some rice.
    Salt
    dehydration
    carbs
    I predict (based on years of data points) that tmw the scale will be back down 2, and then 2 more the day after.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that shared.....I really appreciate it....got on the scales this morning and have lost that pound, so you were all right. Wishing you all success with your goals :)