how many times a week for yoga

Options
What would be an ideal times a week to do yoga?
i think i need something to get more flexible, already into cycling events and more of athlete, but need something else to give that extra edge of fitness?
so a guideline
how many times a week is good for yoga and is 20 minutes enough or should one work into 40? thanks

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how intense the yoga is (there are different styles). If it is primarily stretching moves, you can probably do it every day with no problems.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been going once weekly on sunday mornings since dec 2013. although i wish it were more (no xtra time) I will tell you that even once a week makes a big difference for me...and occasionally when I miss it...I feel it. I go one hour but the classes range from 45 minutes to 90 minutes.
  • strujillo73
    Options
    I go 3x a week. I do 75 minutes of hot infrared yoga flow... Not Sauna;) I also do 2/3 days of strength and walk an hour almost every day. The yoga helps with keeping me flexible and lowers my stress levels. So great! Good luck!
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm not very stretchy so I only go once a week.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I do sun salutations every morning, then some form of more challenging yoga on Tuesday and Saturday (it's a Vinyasa/Ashram style - I write my own routines). I take a really intense Vinyasa/Flow class on Thursday for an hour and a half.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As much as you enjoy-the benefits are awesome. Currently I do it 1-2 times a week with the length varying from 15 minutes to 1 hour but I am trying to get this up to 3-4 times a week because it makes my body feel wonderful.
  • hadiemac
    hadiemac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yoga is about showing up - showing up on your mat regularly, and showing up in your awareness, being aware of what you are feeling, how you are breathing and so on, as much of the time as you can. So 20 mins a day is really good. If you can do that 3, 4 or 5 times a week that would be wonderful! No need to push, no need for pain. Just enjoy!
    Always have a few minutes relaxing after your postures.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    20 minutes, 3x a week is better than 60 minutes 1x a week - but whatever works for you. I practice about 12 hours a week.

I'm not sure what kind of edge you are looking for, nor am I sure if yoga will help you get to that edge.
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I wish I can do yoga for a living!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    yoginimary wrote: »
    20 minutes, 3x a week is better than 60 minutes 1x a week - but whatever works for you. I practice about 12 hours a week.

I'm not sure what kind of edge you are looking for, nor am I sure if yoga will help you get to that edge.

This.

Do what you can fit in, but, I used to do yoga around my other workouts or if I just wanted something different or slower paced. And I gravitate towards longer workouts, so I was doing 45+ minutes 1+ times a week. When I started a daily program though is when I *really* saw surprising gains in flexibility and strength, and some of the days were like 10 minutes. So now I do yoga every day, even on rest day, even if it's just a few poses I feel I could benefit from, or a short routine, or a restorative practice.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would do it every day. Last week was a good week -- three times for an hour each. I know some folks who are athletes and they do one hour a week just to keep things limber.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    T/TH I do a 75 min yoga class
    M/W/F strength
    Running/HIIT tossed in when I have time - this schedule works for me