Day 2 - Stomach issues

Options
So I am in Day 2 of my 'eating healthy' plan and, while I felt better initially this morning, my stomach has since been on a roller coaster. I thought I might be coming down with something but a co-worker said that if the change in calories and types of food I was eating was significant enough, that my body might "rebel" for the first 3 or 4 days until it figured out what was going on. I have drastically reduced my carb intake for the calorie plan that MFP has me on and had a cup of coffee instead of my normal diet sodas. Because the calorie count has gone down and I am making healthier options (vegetables over fatty foods), a lot of other things like sodium and fat content are likely changing as well.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Replies

• bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been there before. You'll feel much better after a few days. Your body is just getting use to the change. Good luck with your goals and stay strong.
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You may be reacting to the increase in fibre. Not a bad thing, just introduce new foods slowly and drink lots of water. Feel free to add me, I'm also trying to get back into the swing of things. Hang in there! :smiley:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, the day after Christmas/Thanksgiving/Summer/Easter/Etc break. I feel like a starving angry beast.

It'll come with reduced calories, your body will get used to it as long as you keep yourself at a decent (not extreme) deficit, and eat lots of protein to stay feeling full longer.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep drinking lots of water, the added fiber from all the fruits and veggies might be throwing your digestive system for a loop. Water will help thing healthfully move along!
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yup. My stomach was not happy the first few days either. It does get better. Just keep at it. Drink a lot of water. It really does help. Also light exercise like walking seemed to help settle it as well.
  • dupuye
    dupuye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it does help and does make sense what everyone is saying about the water and the increased fiber. Hopefully it wont take too long to settle down. I may back off a little bit today, despite the calorie count that MFP has outlined to give my body a little better chance to get used to it. Cutting out diet sodas at the same time might not have been the best idea but I tend to drink to many of them (instead of water) and I thought I would manage the caffeine withdrawal with a cup of coffee instead. I may have underestimated my caffeine addiction.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    dupuye wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, it does help and does make sense what everyone is saying about the water and the increased fiber. Hopefully it wont take too long to settle down. I may back off a little bit today, despite the calorie count that MFP has outlined to give my body a little better chance to get used to it. Cutting out diet sodas at the same time might not have been the best idea but I tend to drink to many of them (instead of water) and I thought I would manage the caffeine withdrawal with a cup of coffee instead. I may have underestimated my caffeine addiction.

You could start alternating diet soda with plain or lightly flavored seltzer if you are looking to reduce the sodium and caffeine in the soda. The diet soda is not significantly caloric, so if it's something that you very much enjoy and miss when you don't have it? I'd leave quitting that until you are used to your lower calorie diet.
  • dupuye
    dupuye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    You could start alternating diet soda with plain or lightly flavored seltzer if you are looking to reduce the sodium and caffeine in the soda. The diet soda is not significantly caloric, so if it's something that you very much enjoy and miss when you don't have it? I'd leave quitting that until you are used to your lower calorie diet.

I had quit originally because I was drinking that in place of water and which I understand is difficult on the kidneys. I think you are right though, slowing it down makes more sense then just cutting myself off cold turkey.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's your body adjusting. You don't need to give up anything, you just need to use moderation.