The Struggle is real... Lifting/cardio/lean

Options
My struggle is this. I lift weights for about 20 mins ( specific muscle groups each day) and then do cardio for 20-30 minutes a day (generally treadmill or elliptical) I have been at the same weight for a year. Nothing changes, I started lifting a year ago and only lifted then i added cardio in as i noticed the scale going up and have been doing that for a couple months now. Still no change.

I have been tracking food for 3 months (you cant see it here because I used my fitbit app) and on a daily basis I burn 2000-2300 calories between my work outs and just general burn. I take in between 1300 and 1500 calories a day. To me this deficit is great enough that I should be seeing a loss on the scale. I must add that I have a cheat day, because I have always thought you should, so I have a high calorie day or meal once a week.

My goal is to lose 10 more pounds and get more defined. I have gained muscle since I started lifting but I dont want to give that up, I really enjoy that aspect of my work out.

Do I need to start doing full body instead of a concentrated muscle group? Do I need to eat less? Take out my cheat day? I am really at a loss, I know that I do eat bad once a week but I didnt think it could be hindering my weight that much.

Please any suggestions what so ever would be great. I leave for Mexico in a month and I have only lost 6 pounds since christmas. <<<< that takes me back to my average 150 that I havent moved from in a year!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing fat weight while being consistent, then there's usually miscalculations involved. Those usually include: how much you really are burning, and how much you're really consuming calories wise. Over estimations in one or both would hamper your weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My diet in general is pretty straight forward not much alteration and most times I allow it to be counted on the high side of the calorie scale.

Other things I have considered are that I have not changed my weight amount in close to 6 months, when I started lifting I gradually went up but have stayed the same, possibly my body is used to it? not burning calories like I want?

I have lost more weight almost 40 pounds but it took a really long time, longer than a normal person. I dont want to suggest that something medically is causing little to no loss I just want suggestions of how to get out of this 150 and look like I have been lifting weights for a year. I see girls in the gym lift way lighter and have muscle like BAM!!

I cannot be doing something correctly :(
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    Do I need to start doing full body instead of a concentrated muscle group? Do I need to eat less? Take out my cheat day? I am really at a loss, I know that I do eat bad once a week but I didnt think it could be hindering my weight that much.

Please any suggestions what so ever would be great. I leave for Mexico in a month and I have only lost 6 pounds since christmas. <<<< that takes me back to my average 150 that I havent moved from in a year!!

I would suggest:
    1) Yes, do full body, such as StrongLifts or New Rules of Lifting For Women, 3 or 4 times a week (but not two days in a row). If you are in a calorie deficit you will not gain muscle mass but you can avoid losing any and make strength gains.
    2) Maybe yes, if you are wanting to lose weight, and IF your logging is accurate (that is, you weigh all solid food and cup-measure liquids only, and the data base you are using is giving you the correct amount). However, I would hazard a guess that with your "cheat" day, you are taking in more calories than you realize.
    3) Definitely take out the cheat day - work your favorite foods into your daily calorie allotment.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Decrease your calories slightly or increase your exercise slightly. Try doing circuits or hiit training sometimes. Anything to change what you're doing!! If you've been eating the same calories, and doing the same lifts with the same cardio and getting no results than the answer speaks for itself. If it's taking you longer than other people, that's bc you're doing it differently than them!

Also, seeing muscle has nothing to do with how much you lift. Definition is seen when you reduce your body fat, typically through diet. They look jacked bc They had lots of muscle under the fat. When you get leaner you'll see the definition as well.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Sounds good, I do measure however. We have a food scale and I weigh most things some i go by measuring cups but either way I try to be as accurate as possible.

I have logged my cheat meals as well _being curious make me wonder how many I ate in one setting sometimes its scary!!!

Thanks for the advice I may switch up my work outs. I am only taking one rest day currently
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some people do a full body 3 days a week routine. Depends on your recovery and how you feel. Another option is a upper/lower split 3-4 days a week. So you'll do upper body one day then lower body the next. Honestly 20 minutes of weight lifting sounds low, you'll probably benefit from at least 30 minutes. Another option is a 4 muscle group split like day 1. Chest/ tri, day 2. Back/bi, day 3.shoulder, day 4.legs. I just started that routine and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's up to you at that point how often you want to hit the gym. If you do the 4 group split then you'll have enough recovery time to go 6 days a week. Also, it's much better to do compound exercises like squats or dead lifts instead of only isolation exercises. I'm currently doing 5-7 exercises for each muscle group with 4 sets of 12 and it's working for me. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, it's ok if you exhaust your muscle on the 3rd or 4th set without getting to your goal rep. Also, form is very important. You can injure yourself if you have poor form. Watch a bunch of YouTube vids on certain exercises if you're not confident in your form. It's pretty common for people to get back injuries from dead lifts when they don't maintain spine neutrality.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Thats what I am doing currently
    Monday_ back 4 exercises reps of 8-10 then cardio
    Tuesday-Chest same as above
    Wednes -cardio and abs
    Thurs -bi and tri same as above
    Friday- Shoulders same as above
    Saturday Legs same as above
    Sunday-rest

This has been my routine for a while. Soreness is at a minimum mostly sore the most after leg day.

guess from the majority of replies I will be changing my work out and being more strict on calories!

• bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thats what I am doing currently
    Monday_ back 4 exercises reps of 8-10 then cardio
    Tuesday-Chest same as above
    Wednes -cardio and abs
    Thurs -bi and tri same as above
    Friday- Shoulders same as above
    Saturday Legs same as above
    Sunday-rest

This has been my routine for a while. Soreness is at a minimum mostly sore the most after leg day.

guess from the majority of replies I will be changing my work out and being more strict on calories!

Well it seems like you're already doing a pretty good job. Try out that 4 day split I mentioned, sometimes you just need to mix things up. How are you doing on the compound exercises? Also try to do 10-12 reps. Higher reps mean higher calorie burns, just don't go crazy and do 15-20 reps, that's too light of weight. You can throw in abs whenever you want as long as you're giving them enough recovery. One more thing, if you feel like you're stalling, you can easily change a exercise, for ex. Instead of doing a flat bench barbell press, you can do a flat bench dumbbell press.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, since we are not able to see your diary, would be to maybe not concentrate so much on the calories, but what it is you are eating. Maybe try to just base your diet around natural/clean foods only. Eating low carb & high protein on the days that you are not strength training. A program I am doing right now is highly focused around what we eat and how much we eat, focusing purely on clean foods. Also, even though it is calories in vs calories out, women store fat and have a harder time losing fat than men. We tend to burn more carbs/glucose than we do fat.

I wouldn't think the cheat days would have that much of an effect, unless you were eating more than 3500 calories in that day. I would also pay attention to what your week totals look like in terms of how much you are inputting/outputting total calorie wise a week (including your cheat day).

Also, increase your water intake as well. .5 oz per pound of weight plus an extra 12 oz per 30 min of working-out.

Just some suggestions. Good luck!
  • jmac4263
    Options
    ^^^ Some one finally said that dreaded word... water, thats one thing i am terrible at.
    My down fall might be carbs but I am high in protein I try to stay above 110g a day.

A week is normally, chicken breast- Tuna-Tilapia- Some beef (93/7) nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, brocolli,green beans, cottage cheese, and some fruits apples, peaches, pineapple ect. I was doing boiled eggs but havent prepped for a while. We get whole wheat everything- pasta, bread, bagels ect. No regular pop and diet is very rare.
    -
    I cut out almost all fruit at one point and didnt see a difference so I added it back in. I think my carb intake is my biggest downfall. I also have whey protein or protein bars on a half way normal basis
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Some one finally said that dreaded word... water, thats one thing i am terrible at.
    My down fall might be carbs but I am high in protein I try to stay above 110g a day.

A week is normally, chicken breast- Tuna-Tilapia- Some beef (93/7) nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, brocolli,green beans, cottage cheese, and some fruits apples, peaches, pineapple ect. I was doing boiled eggs but havent prepped for a while. We get whole wheat everything- pasta, bread, bagels ect. No regular pop and diet is very rare.
    -
    I cut out almost all fruit at one point and didnt see a difference so I added it back in. I think my carb intake is my biggest downfall. I also have whey protein or protein bars on a half way normal basis

None of this will matter if you are not in a calorie deficit. Water retention from dehydration would not mask weight loss this long.
    Assuming you have no medical issue, carbs will not prevent you from losing weight.

Will you open your diary?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok but if you cut more stuff out, eventually you'll go back to eating what you are now. Maybe your body's happy where it is? Like if you're eating 1300-1500 of tilapia and whole grains etc, I really don't know how you can cut from there and still do your workouts. How tall are you, anyway?

• westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you've stalled out, then you need to change something. My first guess is that your cheat day is WAY bigger than you think it is. I would start by getting rid of the cheat day. Work your "cheat" foods and treats into your plan and stay within your calorie goal every day. If that doesn't get the scale moving, then you're going to have to either cut your calories further or do more cardio. What kind of cardio are you doing? Intervals or HIIT will burn more calories than steady-state cardio in the same amount of time. It may be time to increase the intensity of your cardio workouts!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Open diary. If I stalled first thing I check is food
  • cplate
    cplate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found that measuring in grams for food was giving me a more accurate measurement. I also started to measure liquids. These small mistakes were adding up and now after a long time of stalling I am losing weight again. I also stopped eating back all of my exercise calories and only eat back half to give me some wiggle room for logging mistakes. Good-luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, unfortunately, you're not in a deficit. Are you weighing your food?
  • jmac4263
    Options
    I keep track of food on my fit bit app and I do weigh my food, my snacks, my meat ect. and I always show a deficit most of the time a rather large one.

I am going to cut out my cheat days and start consuming more water and see what happens.

I am 5'4 for those that were curious so yes i am considered over weight for my height!

Going to switch up my lifting routine and do different cardio!! Hope this helps!
  • jmac4263
    Options
    ^^^^ and by rather large i mean no more than 750 calories but still a deficit.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are and you are burning less than you think you are. Take out the cheat days. You are probably not logging them as accurately as possible and you are probably wiping out your weekly deficit due to the combination of underestimating intake, overestimating burn and not accounting for cheat days properly.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I keep track of food on my fit bit app and I do weigh my food, my snacks, my meat ect. and I always show a deficit most of the time a rather large one.

I am going to cut out my cheat days and start consuming more water and see what happens.

I am 5'4 for those that were curious so yes i am considered over weight for my height!

Going to switch up my lifting routine and do different cardio!! Hope this helps!
    People are letting you know that weighing/measuring is necessary. You need to know how much you're ACTUALLY eating.

Cutting out cheat days isn't necessary, as long as you make them fit.

Drinking more water and/or switching your routine won't help if you're eating above your calorie goals.

Calories are king.