new here ....my vent

Options
I am so excited about this site! I have struggled with my weight for years now. After having major surgery I'm finally ready and Need to change my life style. I have diverticulosis and have so many things I can't eat that it makes this very frustrating! Almost 2 yrs ago I had part of my colon removed. I am only 35. I also had my gallbladder out before that. Ever since I have problems eating high fat or fried foods. Oh and most meat. I have 5 kids and my hubby who all like things I can't eat. I have started by cutting my portion size. I'm using my kids plates. So far I have lost 5 pounds. I just want to be healthy and set a good example for my kids. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• SweetNSassyMimi
    Options
    Feel free to vent anytime on here! I understand as do others! I'm new here too! Sometimes you just need to let it out! Way to go on the 5lb weight loss!! Keep it up!!:smile:
  • emrmom5
    emrmom5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! I hit my all time high this summer (265). So scary! I lost 13 pounds last month due to being sick and think it helped me want to keep going. I have a hard time believing my hubby when he says I'm sexy. I DON't FEEL SEXY!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was just diagnosed with the same thing. When she and I read up on it, we saw that a lack of enough fiber in the diet is a major contributor. Since I started using this site in March of this year, I haven't eaten high fat or fried foods. I stopped eating out because of the sodium in restaurant food. I began eating vegan two months ago because I have kidney stones and have to consume limited amounts of protein and sodium. So far I have had a great time with the food. I microwave 1/2 cup quick oats with 1 cup water for breakfast, with 1/3 Fuji apple chopped, 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts, 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup, and lots of cinnamon mixed in. I eat this every morning and sometimes mix in 1 Tablespoon flax seed I have ground up in a coffee grinder. 2 hours later I have a vega fruit smoothy. For lunch I just had a Kashi black bean mango frozen meal. Each meal is between 300 and 400 calories and I eat them 2 hours apart. I wish you luck in your weight loss quest! :flowerforyou:
  • hoots_00
    hoots_00 Posts: 4
    Options
    I also have diveticulitis and had the colon resection surgery. I'm 45. I'm constantly learning how to configure my diet to prevent any flare ups. I stay away from nuts, seeds, popcorn, and spicy foods. I also try not to eat iceburg lettuce as much and started using romaine lettuce. It's a daily adventure to keep my calories within limits and maintain the proper amount of fiber in my diet. What a great tool this website/application is!! --- Don't need to tell you this. Anyway, I'm curious on how you're getting along with the diverticuliis.