Weight Lifting stats

Options
2»

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Machines are hard to really gauge strength. I've used machines at some hotels where I could easily press the whole stack of about 250 lbs. The gym at my work, I struggle with 100 lbs. When doing tricep pressdowns at my gym, the middle stations are much lighter than the outside ones. That is why many people recommend freeweights, instead. They are much more consistent, but as long as you use the same machine all the time, you can simply follow your own gains and be proud of your increases.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kutedaisy wrote: »

30yr female
    Leg press-70lb
    Leg extension/curl-40lb
    Bicep curl/Tricep push-30lb
    Chest press/row-15lb(I try going higher but shoulder ache too bad!)
    lat pull down-15-25lb

42 year old male here.
    Here are my numbers:

Leg press-180lb (-my leg muscles are strong enough to lift more, but my knees can't handle more weight)
    Leg curl-90lb
    Bicep curl-70lb
    Chest press-100lb
    lat pull down-100lb

My take on your goals-I agree with the poster who said just try to do a little more each time. As you can, I agree with that.

My feelings on the machines vs. free weights-depends on your goals. If you're going to do serious lifting, yeah, you'll want to move to free weights.

I'm sure others may disagree. :smile:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »
    Machines are hard to really gauge strength. I've used machines at some hotels where I could easily press the whole stack of about 250 lbs. The gym at my work, I struggle with 100 lbs. When doing tricep pressdowns at my gym, the middle stations are much lighter than the outside ones. That is why many people recommend freeweights, instead. They are much more consistent, but as long as you use the same machine all the time, you can simply follow your own gains and be proud of your increases.
    I think you are correct that the varying nature of how machines are designed make it difficult to properly assess strength. While a lot of people will say that you can lift more weight with a machine, I can dumbbell curl almost as much weight with one arm as I can bicep curl with both arms on the machine I use.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Improve yourself. Don't try to compete with other people.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Ok I want to say what I can do :) :

39F
    - Leg press - 100 lbs x 20, 15, 15
    - Leg curl - 90 lbs x 20, 15, 15
    - Band hip thrusts - purple band, 5x25 reps; shoulder and foot elevated hip thrusts, 5x25; single leg bridges, 5x25 per side
    - Cable glute kickbacks - 35 lbs x 20, 15, 15
    (Squats, lunges and one legged RDLs are crap, 15 lbs x 2x20)

(I'm working around injuries, so judge if you want, but you'll be a jerk)
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Google "Stronglifts 5x5" and give that program a shot.

Remember, your only competition is in the mirror.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your support and comments. I understand it shouldn't be a number. I was just seeing if I was weak/average/strong for a woman my age. I'm just looking to tone up not build muscle mass. I like my hourglass figure just want it tighter. lol
    You realized that 'toning' is accomplished by gaining muscle and losing fat, right?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I appreciate all your support and comments. I understand it shouldn't be a number. I was just seeing if I was weak/average/strong for a woman my age. I'm just looking to tone up not build muscle mass. I like my hourglass figure just want it tighter. lol
    You realized that 'toning' is accomplished by gaining muscle and losing fat, right?

LOL I thought toning means something with sound not lifting.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Pick up a barbell. Those exercises aren't optimal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bret Contreras has a post on his site about female strength levels. His chart is based on what he has observed as averages among his trainees at various levels: https://bretcontreras.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/female-strength-levels/ You might find it interesting to look at. Overall, though, I agree with focusing on your own progression and not worrying too much about what other people do.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Not really. When many (most?) people use the term tone, when related to fitness, they mean losing fat to show muscle - not build it.
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    Base your strength on the main 3 lifts, bench, squat and deadlift.

My current short term goals are 265lb bench, 320lb squat and 440lb deadlift

Very long term goals are 320lb bench, 420lb squat and 540lb deadlift

This is a good way to go about it, although with numbers that are specific to YOU. If you have say a 100 lb bench press, and you want to have a 200 lb bench press, you still have to bench 105. Have a long term goal but set shorter term attainable goals as well.

Anyone's advice on picking up a barbell is also good advice.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,678 Member
    Options
    Every person who lifts heavy began by lifting light and worked up from there. Admiring these people is good, it can inspire us to try harder. Just do not base your self-worth upon other people's accomplishments, but on whether you are doing all you can to improve. The only person you need to compete against is yourself.

And keep records as you do, because there will come a time when you feel frustrated and want to quit, but by looking back at how far you've come it can recharge your desire to continue. To whit:

When I began lifting back in 2009, my best numbers (bodyweight 170) were:

Bench 95 (.5x BW, or only half my bodyweight)
    Squat 95 (.5x BW)
    Deadlift 95 (.5x BW)
    Overhead Press 65 (.4x BW)

Fast forward to today, and those numbers have become (bodyweight 182):

Bench 275 (1.5x BW)
    Squat 475 (2.6x BW)
    Deadlift 405 (2.2x BW)
    OHP 205 (1.1x BW)

If I ever get frustrated about struggling to add 10 pounds to my bench for example, I look at the fact I've already added 180 pounds to my bench. I've done it before, I can do it again, and even if I ultimately can't, by golly I'm a loooooooong way from where I started.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am 27 and I just started on the weight side of the gym a year ago as well.

When they tell you not to worry about what others lift, listen, everyone is different in strength.

I was curious as well so I did some research and googled online, but it still doesnt do much good. I know girls much smaller who can lift heavier and larger girls who lift less. Just max out and continue to add and you will see results.

30 pound curl is impressive!! WTG I do 20lbs for like hammer curls ect and get in 6-8 reps and normally 3-4 sets and I dont know if i could do 30!