at home weight loss

Options
I spend most of my time at work and at home with my kids. I have finally started a diet and working out at home but I would really like some tips. .

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    What types of at home workouts would you be interested in? If you like HIIT workouts, I would recommend looking into the Beachbody workouts like; Focus T25, TurboFire, or Insanity which can be modified depending on your level of fitness. There are also a few good workout DVD's by Jillian Michaels that that you might like.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Motivation is key. It's so easy at home to simply put the gear down and go do something else, especially if some undone chore catches your eye. I started out with hula-hooping, then light weights, then heavier dumbbells. Now I keep a barbell behind the sofa with a tray of weight plates underneath. I also do bodyweight stuff; pushups, pull-ups (install a bar if you can) and core work. I much prefer the gym, though - fewer distractions, better focus.

So really, it's the usual 'find something you really enjoy', but then it becomes all about focus and finding the energy to keep going when you're tired, you're distracted and you're still stuck at home and unable to get into a fitnessy mindset.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Jillian MIchaels workouts are on YouTube. The 30 Day Shred has received a lot of attention because it's 20 minutes and has some quick results. I've also heard good things about the Couch to 5K (C25K) program if you're interested in running.
  • melodiefosnaugh1
    melodiefosnaugh1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well this is the first time I have ever done this so I'm kinda just doing what I know. I start off by stretching for a few minutes . Then I do different things like; jumping Jack's, sit ups, lunges, and ill lay on my side and kick my leg up... ill do all this for about a half hour. And I only drink water anymore because of the medicine I have just been prescribed (Topamax) ... I bought a YMCA pass but am very insecure about going alone.
  • melodiefosnaugh1
    melodiefosnaugh1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 and weigh 215 lbs.. I'm only 30 years old but I had 3 c-sections so the Weight on me is really just killing my self esteem and I'm having a hard time losing it I feel like I'm running out of options
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos and dvds. I lost my weight walking in my kitchen. I struggled to do one mile when I started. Her walking videos not only helped me lose weight but helped me build stamina. I now walk outdoors if the weather permits if not I wake early and walk a few miles daily. She has so many walks to choose from, She has a website that offers a few walks to those that sign in. Here is an example of one of the walks I found on YouTube. Good luck.
    https://youtu.be/KCe3ZS7pAC4
  • Cando86
    Cando86 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com for great at home workouts! It's been awesome for getting and keeping me motivated.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    This could be the wrong advice here but I always do what I enjoy. At the moment it's zumba for cardio and dumbbell workouts for strength training (all on youtube). I dont have a gym membership so its all at home. I will change it or intensify it as time goes on but you won't see someone like me doing burpees which I dislike intensely (hate not a good word lol)
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cando86 wrote: »
    I love fitnessblender.com for great at home workouts! It's been awesome for getting and keeping me motivated.

Love Melissa Bender. I do MANY of her workouts. I also workout from home. Converted my home office to a gym and I am so blessed to be able to walk 20ft to my gym, kick *kitten* for 40-60 minutes and then shower in my own home. Wouldn't have it any other way!
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    and what pinky posted up - Leslie Sansone is a good start!
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    if you have a computer there are HEAPS of options for you to exercise from home
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm also a mother of 4 and I do fitness blender work-outs, free on youtube! There are TONS of them so a huge variety and I never get bored. I do them during naptime. :) I've lost 17 pounds so far between diet and exercise.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Cando86 wrote: »
    another vote for Fitness Blender - over 400 free workout vids on their site, great variety, and a handy search feature so you can narrow down your workout search by length of time, body focus, equipment, workout type, etc. They have strength, yoga, cardio, workouts with dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, or just body weight and so on. Good stuff.

• _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill and workout to fitness dvds. Sometimes my 2 youngest will even try to do it with me. It's cute.