Breakfast troubles...

Options
I am on day four of my 1760 calorie diet. So far, my problem is breakfast. It has been hard to find a low calorie FILLING breakfast. I'm usually in a rush in the morning so I need something that is fast to prepare or swing by and pick up. Oh and I love Orange Juice, but it's 220 calories for 16oz.....wow!!!!!!!!! I live near a subway, but I just can't figure out which item would be the best low calorie choice. Does anybody have any suggestions

Thanks

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Have you thought about a morning meal replacement shake?
  • mamamadonna
    mamamadonna Posts: 99
    Options
    1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 cup mixed fruit, 1/2 cup of whole grain fiber cereal all mixed together about 300 cals. add 2 tbsp of flax seeds for an extra 100 cal. Totally yummy and fast!
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    Tropicana has a new orange juice, it says 50 on the bottle and it is very low in calories but still has all the taste (in my opinion). I have to eat a quick breakfast as well. I eat Fiber one muffins (180 cal) and very filling. I also have the weight watchers (smart ones) morning express breakfasts. I had an egg and ham and potato scramble this morning for 220 cal and only 3 min to "cook". Good luck with your goals!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Might sounds stupid, but can't you make more time in the morning or eat breakfast at work?

I always dilute my orange juice, usually 1 part juice, 2 parts water. I find it more refreshing like that, try it, after the initial taste you may find that you prefer it.

Good luck :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hard boil some eggs earlier in the week and keep them in your fridge.

My favorite breakfast is a toasted English Muffin with a tablespoon of Nutella on it. Heaven!
  • KB81
    KB81 Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to load up on protein so I don't feel starved and reach for carbs mid-morning. 2 scrambled eggs (you could also do 1 egg white) and a Morningstar Veggie Sausage patty is 224 calories and 22 grams of protein. And don't let "veggie" sausage fool you, it's delicious! Plus, Costco sells it in bulk for a very good price, compared to the grocery store.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I love 2 slices of whole wheat bread (about 100 cal/slice) with a tablespoon of almond butter divided between the slices (90 calories). also excellent is yogurt (greek is my fav for about 160 calories for 6 oz) with a small amount of kashi cereal for crunch and a few berries for more texture. in winter I like plain oatmeal for 150 calories with frozen fruit mixed in before putting into the microwave. If I have more time in the morning I'll make 2 eggs over medium with just pam for nonstick and a piece of toast. ILOVE cereal, but tend to stay away from it since it ends up being huge for calories and not filling. A treat for me is frozen waffles (140 for 2 if you gt the low fat multigrain ones) with 1 tbs almond butter split between and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup. Always low in calories and good for protein are egg whites. I stay away from drinking my calories since it doesn't really fill you up - green tea is great for getting some liquid in without spending the calories on flavor.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 cup mixed fruit, 1/2 cup of whole grain fiber cereal all mixed together about 300 cals. add 2 tbsp of flax seeds for an extra 100 cal. Totally yummy and fast!

Maybe low cals, but the amount of sodium in cottage cheese is HIGH
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    Plain Oatmeal! Honestly, I always have to ad stuff like almond slivers and blueberries or honey to give it flavor but it is SOO filling I can barely finish a bowl of it!
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    I like to load up on protein so I don't feel starved and reach for carbs mid-morning. 2 scrambled eggs (you could also do 1 egg white) and a Morningstar Veggie Sausage patty is 224 calories and 22 grams of protein. And don't let "veggie" sausage fool you, it's delicious!

It's true, they are really good :)
  • cookiequeen2011
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is...

Jumbo Organic Porridge Oats, 25 g
    Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice (half an orange worth)
    100g yogurt
    Blueberries 30 g - (any fresh fruit)
    Raisins Mini Boxes 15 g
    Pumpkin Seeds, Organic, 10 g

Mix the oats and orange juice together the night before you want them. In the morning add the rest of the ingredients and eat.
  • mystiquefrog78
    Options
    Have you thought about a morning meal replacement shake?

I have never tried them actually.....
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options

I buy 1% milk fat no sodium added cottage cheese...60mg sodium (2% of your daily allowance). I typically mix cottage cheese with something sweet (Beverly International Chocolate Ultimate Muscle Protein - tastes like cake batter) so it makes it taste better without the sodium anyway. Another nice mix...1/3c dry oat bran, 1/2c no sodium added cottage cheese, 1 tbsp sugar free syrup, 1 oz natural peanut butter, cinnamon to taste...mix it all together...very healthy, tasty, and keeps you full for a long time :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would eat an orange instead of juice, you'll get more fiber. As for grab & go breakfast I boil eggs half a dozen at a time. On days when I am rushing I can grab a egg, a piece of fruit and go for a protein based breakfast. I also sort almonds and a few dried cranberries into snack ziplocks for a mid morning snack if needed. Almond butter or peanut butter on bread or half a bagel is another protien filled breakfast, or if you prefer not to have the carbs, put the nut butter in a small tupperware or to go container and have sliced apples.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I buy 1% milk fat no sodium added cottage cheese...60mg sodium (2% of your daily allowance). I typically mix cottage cheese with something sweet (Beverly International Chocolate Ultimate Muscle Protein - tastes like cake batter) so it makes it taste better without the sodium anyway. Another nice mix...1/3c dry oat bran, 1/2c no sodium added cottage cheese, 1 tbsp sugar free syrup, 1 oz natural peanut butter, cinnamon to taste...mix it all together...very healthy, tasty, and keeps you full for a long time :)
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time to spare in the morning, so I prep breakfast the night before. Usually I make 2 or 3 days worth of fruit salad and add yoghurt and mueslie. This comes in under 300 cals (of course this will depend on your choice of fruit, yoghurt and muesli!) and I only have to prepare it twice a week. I usually take it to work and eat half when I get there and the other half later in the morning.
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i like to eat 2 eggo whole grain waffles with 1/2 c of cottage cheese or 6 oz of yogurt (instead of syrup). its about 250 calories.

they also make eggo low fat whole grain waffles, but i havent been able to find them anywhere. does anyone know where to get them?
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    i like to eat 2 eggo whole grain waffles with 1/2 c of cottage cheese or 6 oz of yogurt (instead of syrup). its about 250 calories.

they also make eggo low fat whole grain waffles, but i havent been able to find them anywhere. does anyone know where to get them?
    Sometimes I check the website and see what stores items are available at. That might work for you that way you can give them a call if they are on the website (one of your local stores) and not have to run all over town seeing if the store really has them in stock?:flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Thanks so much for the cottage cheese suggestion! I've been eating the low fat cottage cheese but it's high in sodium as you shared.

I finally located the brand you use and did find a store in town by checking the brands website. Thank you for bringing that option up, very much appreciated! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I am on day four of my 1760 calorie diet. So far, my problem is breakfast. It has been hard to find a low calorie FILLING breakfast. I'm usually in a rush in the morning so I need something that is fast to prepare or swing by and pick up. Oh and I love Orange Juice, but it's 220 calories for 16oz.....wow!!!!!!!!! I live near a subway, but I just can't figure out which item would be the best low calorie choice. Does anybody have any suggestions

Thanks
    Most likely it's not filling you up because OJ is high in carbs and you lose the fiber from the orange when its juiced. If you could peel an orange and eat it on the way to work, with a hard boiled egg etc, or like others have shared plan the food ahead of time by preparing and then have it grab and go. Taking time even if you have to get up 30 minutes early is so worth it, yes you ARE worth a bit of extra time in the morning.:wink:

All carb breakfast won't keep you satisfied for long. Try eating some protein/fat/carb combo and you'll be set. PB toast with 1/2 banana, some raw almonds and yogurt, something to bump you up to closer to 300 for breakfast. Creating a good breakfast will get your through the morning and give you super energy and then a few hours later have a snack and then a few hours after it'll be lunch time.

5-6 small meals per day really does help so much in keeping our blood sugars leveled out which results in many wonderful things, one of which is keeping us satisfied and not being hungry in between meals since our blood sugars aren't rapidly dropping.