What should I be doing at the gym?

Options
I'm 5'8 and 130... I don't necessarily want to lose weight but I want to be slim with a toned stomach. I don't want big arms. I would like toned legs and a toned butt. What are the best machines and how many reps should I do? Also any other information you think would be helpful to me would be appreciated :D

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this for you. First figure out what you want to do: lift weights, join a class, pick up a sport etc. Then do your research about what is available to you, how you can start whatever interests you, and if you still cannot become more specific, consider hiring a trainer to help you build a training program. If your goals are as generic as "get in shape" which is pretty much what I understand, then a ton of different things could work for you, from doing pilates to martial arts or weight lifting or a TRX class and probably a thousand more things.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't use machines - Use free weights.

By the "big arms" comment, I can only assume you're a woman. YOU WILL NOT GET BIG ARMS OR "BULKY" FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS. You do not have the testosterone levels in order to achieve a "manly" physique. Oh also if you want nice legs, you need to squat and squat a lot. Do all the squats.

Start 5x5 strong lifts, very good for beginners. Good luck.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »

By the "big arms" comment, I can only assume you're a woman. YOU WILL NOT GET BIG ARMS OR "BULKY" FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS. You do not have the testosterone levels in order to achieve a "manly" physique. Oh also if you want nice legs, you need to squat and squat a lot. Do all the squats.

What he said. I've been lifting since August (using the strong lifts program) and have definitely changed my body shape without changing the scale too much. You won't get big arms, but what you will see is they begin to have some shape rather than just being skinny arms. My legs certainly wobble less and everything is a bit firmer.

Plus free weights are fun and much more satisfying than a machine!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. google it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 130... I don't necessarily want to lose weight but I want to be slim with a toned stomach. I don't want big arms. I would like toned legs and a toned butt. What are the best machines and how many reps should I do? Also any other information you think would be helpful to me would be appreciated :D

I'm 5'8 and 163lbs and I can tell you that muscles do not make you big .. they make you strong and gorgeous

Avoid machines

Use free weights - and lift heavy and progress whilst eating at or slightly above maintenance

or find something you enjoy

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I second strong lifts... It's very simple and effective. Doesn't require a ton of time. After a while i even went down to 3 sets instead of 5. I could see changes within a few weeks (flatter stomach)
    Good luck
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I third strong lifts.

Machines are bad, m'kay. Unless you're in rehab or something. I don't know. I'm sure they have their place, but they don't really replicate normal human movements, so you're not building functional strength, that's what the pros tell me.
  • weightgoals2015
    Options

Okay, thank you... My mom has very big arms but I don't think that I'd ever get to her p
  • weightgoals2015
    Options

Okay, thank you... My mom has very big arms but I don't think that I'd ever get to her point

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8 and 140. 130 WAS my goal weight UNTIL I discovered lifting. I have been lifting for a year and the scale has not went down but I can tell you that my clothes have dropped a size and I look fantastic in everything I put on. My confidence is through the roof and I do not look "bulky". Lifing weights is what you need to do. As someone else stated research stronglifts or New rules of lifting for women. At 130 you are definitely not over weight and do not need to lose any weight, you need to add lean mass to give you the definition you are looking for. LIFT ALL THE WEIGHTS, you will thank us later :smile: