losing slowly even though exercising more

rbalowski
rbalowski Posts: 16 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone I have a bodybugg , it tell me how many calories i burn everyday , This month I losed 5 lbs. have 120 lbs to go. I was burning ard 5500 calories each day and eating ard 2200 to 2500 calories a day . I losed 1 lbs this week not happy, but also did my measurements my bodybugg said I lost 25lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs lean musscle mass in the last month. Is that possible?

Replies

• tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    bump.. don't know anything about that body bug
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    My guess is that you are gaining muscle, since it weighs more than fat that is why your not seeing the numbers on the scale. Maybe you should also take measurements, with all the fat loss/muscle gain your clothes must be fitting better. The weight loss will follow...keep up the good work!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Hi everyone I have a bodybugg , it tell me how many calories i burn everyday , This month I losed 5 lbs. have 120 lbs to go. I was burning ard 5500 calories each day and eating ard 2200 to 2500 calories a day . I losed 1 lbs this week not happy, but also did my measurements my bodybugg said I lost 25lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs lean musscle mass in the last month. Is that possible?

No, it's not posible to gain 20 lbs of muscle in a month, even for elite body-builders. Something is off in the Bodybugg calculations!
  • rbalowski
    Yes this true my clothes are getting baggie , more people at work said they can tell , ask how many pound I lossed and sad it looks like I lost a lot more. Thanks
  • It takes months of strength training to just gain 5 pounds of muscle. Whatever you're using is giving you the wrong information.
  • rbalowski
    I lossed 5 lbs for the month but it said I lost 25 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs lean muscle mass, I didn't know if caught that because of the way I wrote it thanks
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    If you were relatively inactive before and now are very active your muscle will build faster than people who have always been active. As for the slow weightloss Your body is resisting losing mass that is it's job sometimes unfortunately. Up proteins to help feed your new lean body mass but accept the slower rate and don't get discouraged. The initial weightloss is always faster and you are becoming healthier not just thinner. Good Luck!:drinker:
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    losed?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I dont know anything about the body bug. Are you male or female? Your 2200 calorie daily intake sounds alot. What type of exercise are you doing daily.

How is your water intake, and your sodium intake?

Could be alot of factors affecting, your slow weightloss. Just dont give up, keep going strong.

Goodluck
  • rbalowski
    wow you lossed 226 great job thanks for your info I've lost 34 seens 1-4-11 ,

thanks again
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    losed?

You are aware that not everyone using this site is a native English speaker, right?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member

No, it's not posible to gain 20 lbs of muscle in a month, even for elite body-builders. Something is off in the Bodybugg calculations!

While I agree it is impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle in a month, using a elite body-builder is a bad comparison. A person who starts out very sedentary will put on muscle even in a caloric deficit simply because they are so out of shape. That initial muscle gain will not be 20 pounds in a month though, more like 1 or 2. Elite bodybuilders have pretty much come to the upper limit of how much muscle they are going to get without steroids. They don't put muscle on quickly at all. The people who seem to put muscle on fastest are young men who are just starting serious weight training.

I don't have a clue how the body bug measures body fat, but those measurements seem way off.

As for you slow weight loss, if you are really burning 5500 calories a day, and only eating 2200 to 2500 that may be your problem as that would mean your deficit is 2700-3000 calories a day. That is a very aggressive calorie deficit. Having said that, if your body bugg is reading things incorrectly, it throws a question into all of this.
  • rbalowski
    male I started doing very hard landscraping work that will drag down the must fit 18 yr old ( i'm 45). I cut out all extra salt. I do drink alot of water but I might not be drinking enough because of all the sweating i'm doing now.

Thanks
  • rbalowski
    It's a typo losed means bite me
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Losing slowly isn't a bad thing. I lost 60 pounds over a year, comes out to an average of 5 lbs a month, and it benefited me greatly since I didn't have much lose skin or any overly dramatic changes.
  • rbalowski
    great job!!
This discussion has been closed.