cheating

Options
I just read a post somewhere else talking about a "cheat day". I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on that is. I usually allow my cheat day to be saturday. I do this becuz usually friday night, I go out with my boyfriend and friends and I drink alcohol (I always watch how much and what kind of alcohol I drink). But then always the next day after I drink, I always want good food, like restaurant or junk food. I just started my diet with fitnesspal so I'm not sure about it yet, but in the past I have done this and it had never been too detremental.

Replies

• emoff3
    Options
    I just read a post somewhere else talking about a "cheat day". I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on that is. I usually allow my cheat day to be saturday. I do this becuz usually friday night, I go out with my boyfriend and friends and I drink alcohol (I always watch how much and what kind of alcohol I drink). But then always the next day after I drink, I always want good food, like restaurant or junk food. I just started my diet with fitnesspal so I'm not sure about it yet, but in the past I have done this and it had never been too detremental.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it's just fine.
    You deserve a "cheat day" or not even an entire day. Indulge in the yummies and enjoy it.

I'm going to enjoy a slice of a stuffed crust pizza from pizza hut tomorrow and that yummy oreo cake pizza... Oh yay!!

Go for it girl!!
  • bdetta
    Options
    Just think of it as an off day. That's what I plan to do! But don't get carried away (LoL).
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I used to do a "cheat day", but now I do more of a "treat item day". I was trying to avoid junk altogether, and realized it was making me crazy. I figured I stick to my workout schedule, so if I scheduled a day that treats go on, I could stick to that. It's working so far for me. All week, if I see a cookie or chocolate bar or small bag of chips, I promise myself I can have it on Sunday. Since I've been journaling my food, I also don't enter this treat item. Otherwise, I'd get guilty for my treat, which doesn't make it a very good treat.

This is a difficult situation as I used to be a world-class binge eater, and have a lot of "all or nothing" opinions about dieting. But, I've noticed that this treat day strategy works very well for me.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is different for everyone. But for me I have a hard time on Saturdays. My kids are home, I am home and hubby is home for at least part of the day. We tend to snack more and buy more foods that I don't cook during the week and of course breakfast. So I generally make Saturday my day of just not worrying about it. I do try and take a walk on this day to try and offset it a little but other than that I try not to worry about how much I am splurging.
  • cwalbrj
    Options
    I don't do a cheat "day" per se, but a cheat treat or cheat meal. And even then I track it. If I know I'm going to have something that takes a lot of my calories, I just plan for it. I'll be good at breakfast and lunch, keep my calories low and then I can have my "cheat" and still fit it into my calories. And if I go a little over - oh well! This shouldn't be about being deprived, it should be about thinking how to make it work.... go for it!
  • raeokay
    raeokay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually just have one small "bad" thing a day, like a handful of small cookies or a half cup of ice cream. I always make room in my food diary for that treat, because otherwise I'll have a whole day of junk, and that whole day really shows a few days later!
  • beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel like when you cheat on a diet youre only cheating yourself. but sometimes you need a little wiggle room for junk food. just dont do it too often!
  • kimford28
    Options
    I try to stay focused during the week... eat right and work out... and allow myself one day during the weekend to reward my hard work. On the weekend though, I still try to get in a hike or do something athletic so I don't loose the motivation.
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with cwalbrj. If you put some thought and planning into your indulgences, you'll be surprised to find that sometimes they won't really throw you off all that much. For instance, if you are eating 1300 cals per day, and you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a frozen dinner and fruit for lunch, you might come in around 600-650. If you've been dying for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese for a couple weeks, ( I heart these things) which comes with a 500 calorie "penalty", you're in the clear! You could even throw in a (small) french fry and come in at just a little over your daily allowance. Sounds like a deal, right? I think so! I really like the concious mental idea of "planned indulgences" rather than "cheating." There's less of a chance of remorse or worry.

My thoughts on an "anything-goes-cheat day" are this. The above plan allows you the real deal junk while staying on track. You will be amazed at what a no-holds-barred day of pigging out can do to your overall plan. REMEMBER: it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. Period. I can't even create that deficit in a week! I am an eater. And I know that a day of pancakes and bacon, ham & cheese sandwhich with chips, a few cookies, an oreo blizzard, and steaks on the grill with a loaded baked potato and three beers will screw you up quicker than you can say "pass the butter." A little planning and you can have a lot of what you're craving without throwing yourself off your path:)

p.s. Yes, I have had many days where that is what my menu looked like. mmmmmm...
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I definitely have planned indulgences. If I am going out for a meal I try to plan ahead of time what I will have and I'll usually try and leave myself enough calories by adjustung what I eat earlier in the day. I think it's important to enjoy food but I really believe that the people who succeed long term are those who learn how to compensate for days of heavy eating or heavier meals by being more restrained at other times.