weight gain struggles

Options
p0ck3t
p0ck3t Posts: 8 Member
I started MFP about a year and a half ago because I was unhappy with my weight. I am now ironically under my goal weight, and I know I should weigh more to be considered healthy. However, I'm having trouble physically eating MFP's recommended maintenance for my height, which is 1750 calories a day. I usually eat continuously throughout the evening in an effort to up my calories, and I'm always extremely full when I go to bed. The problem is, this usually is after I've gotten up to only 12-1300 calories.

I first thought I was having trouble eating enough because my stomach capacity had decreased after restricting my calories for a year, so I began eating to the point of discomfort every night in an effort to expand my stomach. I don't know if that's the case anymore since I've been doing it for about 4 months now and it hasn't worked, and I still feel uncomfortably full on the same amount of food as I did 4 months ago. Any suggestions?

Replies

• November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I can offer no tips on what you're eating.

1. What food do you like?
    2. Would you like to eat more of them?
    3. Do you like nutritious high calorie foods like nuts, cheese, etc?
    4. What are you eating now?
    5. Can you spread your meals throughout the day (I eat more at breakfast and get lighter through the day, works for me.)
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Unless you have gastroparesis or something like that, i see no reason why one should feel uncomfortably full eating so little. Or else it's all in the head ...
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Full fat icecream, peanut butter on brown toast, pasta, even adding a complan drink into your daily diet should help you push up the cals.
    x
  • Alcor2
    Alcor2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't wait until the evening to start eating. For one, it's a recipe to start retaining fat, but it also can make it harder to consume your required calories if you wait until the end of the day. I suggest making breakfast be your largest meal calorie-wise. Snack throughout the day with other high calorie foods such as peanut butter. You'll have no problem hitting 1700 calories per day
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If it were related to metabolic adaptation from prolonged caloric deficit, I would expect your appetite would have started increasing again by now. Have you always had trouble eating that much volume, or is it just since you started losing weight? If you are eating lots of veggies and lean proteins, you are going to have to give up that idea and start eating some more calorie dense food. Fast-digesting starches, nuts, and milk or other calorie-dense drinks are your friends if you are having trouble downing the calories.