Do my macros sound right?!

I'm trying to lost body fat, build muscle / tone up ... weight wise I'd like to lose a couple of kg's but nothing major.

I've set my macros to:

1464 calories
92g carbs (25%)
165g protein (45%)
49g fat (30%)

These are based on me working out 4/5 times per week doing a mixture of HIIT, running and weights.

Do these sound about right or should my carbs be lower?! Because I'm running quite a bit (marathon training) I'm reluctant to reduce them much more as I know I obviously need the energy for that!

Any advice much appreciated! :-)

Replies

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Bump!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    If you're marathon training personally I'd have your carbs much higher. Most runners will have their carbs much higher as it's their major fuel. As a runner myself my carbs I normally hit around 60%. You look pretty small to me so I'm guessing your protein could be lower. I think you're going to suffer with carbs that low and Marathon training. Unless you have specifically trained for your body to use fat as the main fuel source (which some runners do) I would seriously re consider carbs that low. Normally for moderate runners the commendation is around 2.5-3g of carbs per pound of bodyweight so that for 130pound runner is around 300g of carbs a day. Obviously people differ and you may be fine on less than that or need more but in my opinion that's a good start. Personally if I was you I'd aim for my protein (normally around 0.8g per pound bodyweight recommended) then fit everything else around that. If you start heavy lifting you would need to up the protein but if your training for a marathon that wouldn't be advised
  • kalamitykate83
    thanks for the reply @isulo_kura ... I've been following similar macros for the past 10 weeks now and have been running during that time, including a half marathon, so I know my body is ok on that low carbs. And around the actual race day I will increase them, which I did the weekend of the half!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It seems like a reasonable starting point. If you feel good and your workouts are strong, then you're probably OK. Personally, I'd increase carbs a bit, but there's lots of variation when it comes to macros, so...

FWIW, here is what I generally suggest -

fat: .25-.5g per lb of total body weight
    carbs: 1-3g per lb of total body weight
    protein: .75-1.5g per lb of lean body mass

Where you fall within those ranges should be dictated by things like personal preference, sustainability, performance, and goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I'd take 5 of those off protein and add them to carbs, but if its working for you..
  • kalamitykate83
    @liftng4lis that's what I've just done after speaking to my bf he said that my carbs should be slightly higher, so they're now 30% carbs 40% protein 30% fat