Advice on protein shakes please :)

Hi,
So my weightless journey is going well and I'm now looking to incorporate protein supplements to aid my muscle retention. I'm a 22 year old female looking for a protein shake that will help me retain the muscle I'm gaining. Does anyone have any advice on which products are best, in terms of value for money and the results they produce. Also how often should I take protein shakes etc. I'm a newbie so please advise. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    A protein shake alone will not retain muscle - this requires strength training, along with adeqaute caloric and protein intake.

If you are already gaining muscle, then it is likely you are already doing the above.

Use protein shakes to supplement your diet if you struggle to meet your protein goals with food alone.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    IMO for weight loss you should try to get all of your protein from food. Shakes just don't seem to fill me up as much or for as long as solid food. So it really depends on the rest of your diet. For instance if you are a vegetarian or something and struggle to fulfill your protein needs, but can spare a couple hundred extra calories than it may work for you. But if you have a more normal diet I would try to get more protein through food instead.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    A protein shake alone will not retain muscle - this requires strength training, along with adeqaute caloric and protein intake.

If you are already gaining muscle, then it is likely you are already doing the above.

Use protein shakes to supplement your diet if you struggle to meet your protein goals with food alone.

^ Exactly this. She hit the nail on the head.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    You really don't need to use protein shakes unless you're not getting enough protein in your normal food diet. The good news is that there really isn't any difference other then flavor when it comes to individual types of protein. That $30 jug of Optimum Nutrition whey protein is the same as the $5 bag of bulk whey protein.

That said, there are differences in different types of protein, but someone else would have to explain that to you because I don't have a good enough understanding as to what those differences are.

Personally, whenever I use protein shakes, I get Optimum Nutrition because it has the best flavor, and I can afford to pay for something that won't make me want to vomit the second it hits my tongue.

So, use whatever fits into your own life, and budget.

You can really take them whenever as the whole "meal timing" thing is broscience. If you're losing weight, I'd suggest taking one as a quick meal replacement, but as long as you get the required amount of daily protein for your meal planning, you'll be set.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    I drink 1 cup of skim milk mixed with lots of ice and 1 scoop of GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60- Vanilla. I struggle to meet my protein goals and that is 20 grams per scoop and helps me hit my goals everyday. If I could, I would rather try to meet my goals through food but this is where I am right now.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    I use Bodylogix whey protein powder because it doesn't contain artificial ingredients, I enjoy the flavors, and the calories are low for the amount of protein you get.

As a small girl who lifts, I struggle to get enough protein to meet the 0.82g protein/pound of bodyweight and not go over my calories. You don't have to use it in shakes only. I mixed a scoop into my morning oatmeal today, and I frequently use it to make some of the protein muffins from recipes I've found in Yoni Freedhoff's The Diet Fix (it's not a diet, it's a book about how to make diets of any kind actually work for you).

Additionally, there is the benefit of using stevia leaf as sweetener because studies show it actually helps nourish your gut flora microbiome, which as you probably know is key to your good health.

I get mine from Meijer's because I live in the upper Midwest. Bet you can get it from Amazon though.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Personally, my go to protein shake is the Solgar Whey to go chocolate. I use it pre and post training (competitive figure skating), half a serving each time with unsweetened soy milk. Honestly, I taste like chocolate milk and it is AMAZING when warm. Since it is completely naturally sweetened you don't have to worry about things like processed/artificial sugars and it keeps me very alert.