I am looking for gentle, friendly nudges

Options
i haven't exercised in months. I know I need to and am ready to get back at it. When I ask my hubby to help me, all I hear is "Im gonna go drill instructor on you" (he is a marine) and that's not the kind of encouragement I need.

So, if you're into kindly reminding a friend that it really IS worth it to go to the gym, I'd appreciate an add and your kind words.

Tia

Jena

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sugarcoating the truth? You're just not ready yet.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You only regret not doing it, nobody ever regrets getting a workout in after the fact. Just do it. Do it for yourself, not because someone is telling you to, because honestly you going or not going only affects yourself.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Different personalities. I'm much more likely to do something on my own than if someone orders me to do it. That doesn't mean that I'm not ready, just that I'm not into being pushed around by someone with power issues.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you have to want to do it.

if you DONT - gently nudges or harsh orders wont make a difference.

• randi475
    randi475 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! Going to the gym or doing some exercise at home is great, it'll give you a small boost to energy and some suspect metabolism. However, you're not going to burn so many calories going to the gym that you'll lose weight.
    Your biggest and best bet for weight loss is counting calories *for now*. Get on track with calorie counting and incorporate exercise when you're ready. There's no need to make the whole lifestyle change in one go. Count calories now, then start your exercise program when you're ready.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    are You kidding? It's PERFECT that Your hubby is a marine, take the advantage of a pro fit guy as free of charge coach!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Different personalities. I'm much more likely to do something on my own than if someone orders me to do it. That doesn't mean that I'm not ready, just that I'm not into being pushed around by someone with power issues.

Who has power issues? The marine husband? Assumptions?

Also OP knows she needs to. She hasn't found internal reasons to go or she would go. People do what they want to do whether it is positive or negative.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Why you no like gym?
    Gym go get personal best.
    What else is life for?

~a fitness haiku by Monsters and Meat
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    randi475 wrote: »
    Hello! Going to the gym or doing some exercise at home is great, it'll give you a small boost to energy and some suspect metabolism. However, you're not going to burn so many calories going to the gym that you'll lose weight.
    Your biggest and best bet for weight loss is counting calories *for now*. Get on track with calorie counting and incorporate exercise when you're ready. There's no need to make the whole lifestyle change in one go. Count calories now, then start your exercise program when you're ready.

The great thing about lifting weights is that whilst you won't burn a staggering amount of calories during your session like you would on a treadmill for example - you will burn more calories at rest after you've finished. As long as your diet is in check, you'll really feel the benefits the more you do it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want this badly enough, you'll go.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It is definitely worth going to the gym. Set yourself up for success by making sure all of your workout gear is washed and ready for the week. I bring a week of workout gear with me to work and store it either under my desk or in my filing cabinet. Then, I can never say I forgot my gym bag. If you use an electronic calendar, add gym visits to the calendar.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you have to really want it. If you're not ready, you're not ready. No one can force you. I sat on the couch making excuses why I couldn't exercise. Then I just did. When you're ready to start you start immediately. You don't schedule it.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When you want this badly enough, you'll go.

Yep.

You've got to be your own motivator. Figure out your goals and whys. Why, for myself, is it worth going to the gym/running/walking/playing ball?

I'm stronger. I'm more able-bodied. I move around better. My blood pressure and heart rate are both great. I'm making my bones stronger. I keep up workout-wise with my grown adult sons. I run and play soccer with my teenage daughter. I will not be another 40 something that looks and acts 60.

• devinlynnxo
    Options
    I hear ya, I have been slacking lately on the exercise front as well but I'm getting back on and we can do it together :) the body achieves what the mind believes. We got this!