what nutrients do you track daily?

Options
right now I am monitoring: calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, fiber (trying to lower the carbs/sodium and up the protein/fiber - this is a good teaching method for me!)

thinking about swapping out fat for sugar for a week because I have no idea how much hidden sugar is lurking in my food!

what do you watch out for and why?

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Calories, macros and fibre.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sorry - forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by macros? carbs/fat/protein?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Total cals + macros (fats/carbs/protein).

It's everything I can do to hit those on a consistent basis. Worrying about things like sodium, sugar, fiber, etc would do more harm than good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I took out sugar and added fiber.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

This, add in sodium. Sodium and fiber are only there so I can see trends if needed.. I don't actually work on being over/under either of them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    calories, fiber, protein. I also have fat, sat fat and sugar on there, but I only care about the first three.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Calories, % macros, fibre and sugar.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein, fiber, cholesterol and sodium. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I take meds for both.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    protein, carbs, fat....calories to a certain extent....sugar sometimes....sodium i think i need to do better
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

^^^ This- I do also keep an eye on my micros to see if I am lacking something on a consistent basis.

I would definitely not ditch watching your fats for sugar- if you are already watching your carbs then I wouldn't worry about it. You want to be sure you are balanced in your fats (enough/too much)
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I track carbs/fats/protein, sodium ( which I might switch out), and iron (I'd like to hit this more).

I was tracking sugar but I wigged out and eliminated a lot of fruit and sometimes would quit eating for the day even if my net cake were low. I changed my diet enough now that I don't need to worry about it too much anymore. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I switch it around. At the moment I have sugar and fiber in addition to protein/fat/carbs and calories, but I'll probably switch the first two to potassium and sat fat for a while.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone - think I will stick to what I have!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cals
    Protein - to maintain muscle while lifting and in deficit
    Carbs - I'm an endomorph, so lower carbs than average is recommended
    Sodium - Borderline high blood pressure / water retention
    Potassium - Counteracts sodium, critical in nerve function and muscle contraction
    Fiber
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Calories (we all get this one), then Carbs, fiber and protein (need for being diabetic), then sodium (trying to keep it under wraps) and potassium (due to being super low in past and had prescription potassium to take).
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I track Carbs, Protein, Sodium, Protein, Fat, and Sugar. Mostly watching Macros and ensuring a good protein/carb ratio (I am active and a runner, so I do need to eat a good amount of quality carbs).

I watch sodium because I wasn't getting enough for awhile, and it caused leg cramps.

Watch sugar because I try to keep it low and to natural sugars. Unless its a long run day, then I go for a couple beers :)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein, fiber.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Calories, macros, fiber, and sodium. I sometimes switch out sodium for other micros (primarily for potassium) just to make sure that I am hitting my other micros
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Calories, Protein, Carbs, Fat and Fiber.