HRM recommendations

Options
mindiv
mindiv Posts: 49 Member
I haven't used a heart rate monitor in a while. I had a Polar FT4 a few years ago that lasted like three weeks before it completely malfunctioned. I was so mad I just let it go when I should've called Polar. My mistake.

But anyway, I'm at a point where I'm no longer losing weight no matter what I do. I want to make SURE my workouts are on point and I remember from my HRM use days that wearing one really motivated me. But I'm not sure what to get.

Since I got burned by Polar I hesitate to spend that money again. I also have to consider the TYPE of workouts I'm doing. Three days a week I do a PiYo class - lots of bending and stretching, and I fear a chest strap monitor will not work right. The other days it's cardio and strength.

So....what type of HRM do YOU use? What would you recommend?

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it. I have never had a problem with it. It does have a chest strap but as long as its tight enough it shouldn't cause a problem. I also have a older Garmin which is now 8 years old and still working great it didn't tell the calories burnt though so thus the Polar purchase.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just get a basic HRM that will give you an average HR over time. Make sure it has a chest strap for increased accuracy. Use any number of online calculators to calculate your calorie burn.

Also: HRM calculations are ONLY accurate for Steady State Aerobics. They are not accurate if your HR is below 55% of max, weight lifting, heavy cardio, etc.
  • puppy_amor
    puppy_amor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just got the Mio Fuse which is really great, it does not require a chest strap and I am finding it to be really quite accurate for any cardio workouts.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've had the Polar FT4 for a year and I've never had one issue with it. Even though you had a bad experience, it may have just been a dud, I'd definitely still recommend it.
  • mindiv
    mindiv Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ended up with a Polar FT7. I found one on sale for cheaper than an FT4 so I went with it. We'll see what happens... Thanks y'all.