Lifting weights while in a deficit

Options
I am currently in the process of losing fat/weight. I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5. My question is what do I do when I stall? Do I continue to lift the weight I am able, or is there another alternative?

Replies

• Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you mean stall mid set??
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If StrongLifts is your primary exercise program you follow, I'd follow the deload protocal. If you fail 5x5 reps of the same exercise on two consecutive sessions, reduce weight 10%. If you have to deload twice, drop volume to 3x5.

If StrongLifts is a secondary exercise regime for you, then don't deload but reduce volume to 3x5.
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    I mean as in I am unable to add weight amount to the lift. For example, my overhead press is currently 60lb, and I struggle with it near the last couple of reps, but I can not go up to 65lb because I am unable to do but a rep or two before my arms give out :/ I know SL states to add weight each week or whatever, but I am currently unable to.

• Onederchic
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    If StrongLifts is your primary exercise program you follow, I'd follow the deload protocal. If you fail 5x5 reps of the same exercise on two consecutive sessions, reduce weight 10%. If you have to deload twice, drop volume to 3x5.

If StrongLifts is a secondary exercise regime for you, then don't deload but reduce volume to 3x5.
    Thank you very much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Strength is finite. If one could keep adding weight to lifts each week, then everyone would have the potential to break every weight lift record.
    Just do what you're capable of doing. That's not a fail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    follow the program, ie if you fail then continue to then end of that day workout and then next session lift the same egg workout a you squat 200lbs for 5, 5, 4, 3, 3. then next time you lift 200lbs again. if you fail three times in a row you reset by 10%. If your cutting you may find that you hit plateau that you can't break throgh, but just stick with the program.

once you start eating in a surplus if you continue to plateau then it may be a sign that its time to move on to an intermediate program
  • Onederchic
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Strength is finite. If one could keep adding weight to lifts each week, then everyone would have the potential to break every weight lift record.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Thank you. I felt like maybe I was doing it all wrong or something. I mean, from what I have read on the boards here, I wasn't expecting to really gain muscle since I am in a deficit so when I stalled in what I can lift, I was unsure of what to do next.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is used to this exercise. Try one week with 14-20 reps low weight, on all aspects of your weight training. This will fire different muscle fibers and get the body jolted into action, then go back to your 5x5 training and see if this helps
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Overhead press is one of the hardest lifts to progress, and a 5 lb increase is pretty significant for that lift. You might want to consider other methods of adding weight - washers, chains, etc. I think you can purchase weights smaller than 2.5 lbs so that you don't have to add 5 lbs every time.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had to get some 1 lb weights to add (I used batting practice doughnuts) because the 5 lb increments was too much. It enabled me to build up to the 5 lb increase. So far, that's helping.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Onederchic wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Thank you. I felt like maybe I was doing it all wrong or something. I mean, from what I have read on the boards here, I wasn't expecting to really gain muscle since I am in a deficit so when I stalled in what I can lift, I was unsure of what to do next.

There is a point where your existing muscle just won’t get stronger without getting bigger. That isn’t easy to do while on a deficit. The only additional advice I can give you on top of what ninerbuff posted is to look at your protein intake and the timing of your meals. You might be able to slowly add some mass and strength, but don’t expect much or fast. Patience and persistence. One of the things to look forward to now is a general maturity to your musculature that you see in people who have trained for while.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I mean as in I am unable to add weight amount to the lift. For example, my overhead press is currently 60lb, and I struggle with it near the last couple of reps, but I can not go up to 65lb because I am unable to do but a rep or two before my arms give out :/ I know SL states to add weight each week or whatever, but I am currently unable to.

I have not done strongfits but if you can do OHP at 60# for 5x5, I would say stay at that weight and keep doing 5x5 until you feel that you can bump the weight up ....OHP is a b**ch to improve on ...it is just a tough lift...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I have not done strongfits but if you can do OHP at 60# for 5x5, I would say stay at that weight and keep doing 5x5 until you feel that you can bump the weight up ....OHP is a b**ch to improve on ...it is just a tough lift...

This...and yes, OHP is hands down the most difficult lift to improve on IMO. For myself, I had to start doing more push presses to make much headway in my strict overhead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This...and yes, OHP is hands down the most difficult lift to improve on IMO. For myself, I had to start doing more push presses to make much headway in my strict overhead.

I think in a year I have been able to go from 120# to 130# at 4x5 .....< and about four months of that I was bulking which helped a lot with the increase in weight...

• Onederchic
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'm in the same boat. Once I hit 40lbs (I know it isn't much, but I'm a fairly petite person with little arms) overhead, I couldn't do anymore. That was months ago. I'm switching to different shoulder workouts to get a good variety.

But, I am also just maintaining strength and doing weight training as support for running.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    howekaren wrote: »
    I had to get some 1 lb weights to add (I used batting practice doughnuts) because the 5 lb increments was too much. It enabled me to build up to the 5 lb increase. So far, that's helping.

I have 1.25 lb plates for those upper body lifts where I can't go up 5 lbs. 2.5 lb increments are more workable.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I quit doing stronglifts for just that reason. Eating at a deficit I got to the point that I was failing almost every session and it was getting to me mentally. What I did before I quit was when I managed to complete a weight I did it 3 full sessions at that weight before I attempted to go up again.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    In my workout journal where I plan my upcoming lifts for the day, I have a "standard" weight and a "variable" weight. For example, on my OHP I might set the goal of five sets of three at 165. On most days, I can hit that goal. Some days I feel weaker, and 165 just seems like too much. So I look at my variable, which says "-20 lbs, +2 reps". So instead of doing sets of three at 165, I do instead sets of five at 145. Less weight, more reps, still intense.

On the other hand, some times I walk in feeling like a beast and really want to push it. So my variable would also show "+20 lbs, -1 rep optional". On this day I do sets at 185 for either two or three reps, however many I can do that day.

If I do the "beast" version three workouts in a row, then I add 5-10 pounds as my new standard. Doing this I have increased my OHP max by fifty pounds over the past year, from 155 to 205. Actual improvements come on average every month or so, not every single week, but it still adds up. (One other note: I have accomplished this while lifting at one-rep-max weight only twice. Otherwise I'm lifting 3-5 reps at a time.)