Anyone feel like you're in on a big secret with MFP?

Options

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Judging by the amount of users who show up for a quick spell and vanish, no, I don't feel it's a secret. And there are other food journal/calorie counting apps out there as well.

The only thing that seemed secret in the sense that it felt like a revelation is that "eat less, move more" and CICO works.

Of course that secret is kept out in the open where everyone can see it :) but I can't blame people for not seeing it when for years upon years I didn't either.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    yes! I'm only sad more people aren't willing to try it (one family member in particular - she has every excuse in the book)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a dating site for married people. Or is that the secret.. ohh. Got ya.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Options
    It's only a secret because most people don't want to hear about it... When I started losing weight, I was inundated with questions about how I was doing it - like the experience of many on this thread - no one listened once they discovered it wasn't a magic pill, etc... essentially "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to put forth any effort"

I think it's a little less black and white than that for people. Many don't want a magic pill, just think that the effort they would need to put in would be inordinate and almost undoable.

I though I would have to do tortuous amounts of physical activity and eat like a bird to lose weight. I only really felt it was achievable once I read the stickies here by SideSteel and others. I had an account for years before that and didn't use it but then I discovered the forum, read all the stickies and like the nerd that I am read all the referenced studies too and, well - I saw the light :)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you are misreading what I'm saying. Obviously MFP isn't a secret, what I'm talking about is that is actually works and people aren't using it, instead spending a fortune on fad diets.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's a secret in plain sight. It's hit the tipping point in membership, hasn't it? A genuine movement.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gorilla_experiment.html
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    I think a lot of you are misreading what I'm saying. Obviously MFP isn't a secret, what I'm talking about is that is actually works and people aren't using it, instead spending a fortune on fad diets.

Because lazy.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I did not hear about mfp until late 2013, a friend of mine told me she had lost alot of weight on the site. I didnt get serious with it till, I seen her and how much weight, she had lost. I am very glad that she told me about it. I have lost 51lbs in the last year.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

refer to my first post. I knew exactly what you were talking about.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone I meet (even women at bars and restaurants that are complaining about their weight). Most people look at me like I'm an alien. It's not a "diet" it's not a pill, so it's not going to work.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Yes! I so agree with you. But, when people ask me "how" I'm losing weight, the majority are very disappointed I'm not doing some woo-woo plan and generally those who ask for details end up getting glassy-eyed after just a couple sentences of my details about MFP.

So, I don't say too much anymore unless someone is seriously interested.

yeah, i find that a LOT.

everyone wants a quick fix. they dont want to work for it. most of us, i would bet, have been there and learned it doesnt work.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Judging by the amount of users who show up for a quick spell and vanish, no, I don't feel it's a secret. And there are other food journal/calorie counting apps out there as well.

The only thing that seemed secret in the sense that it felt like a revelation is that "eat less, move more" and CICO works.

Of course that secret is kept out in the open where everyone can see it :) but I can't blame people for not seeing it when for years upon years I didn't either.

I agree to a point, but (as you mention) a lot of people come here, read the forums, and maybe even enjoy some success still give up. Just weighing food and logging meals is too much effort for a good chunk... why bother with all that when the lemonade detox is SO much easier?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

no, I know exactly what you mean..but I still think that most people simply do not want to do the work...they know it works, but "there's gotta be an easier way." People in general are fairly lazy and always looking for an easy out...that's why the industry at large is so profitable and that's why there have always been snake oil salesman.

Like I said in my first post...all of my friends and colleagues know exactly how I lost my 40 Lbs...they know it works...but has anyone else done it? No....it's too much work in their eyes.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I think the world is pretty aware of MFP. I thought I was doing a service to my FB friends when I posted about it, and about a dozen of them, including my stepdaughter in England, said they use it. One friend even said her doctor recommended she begin using it. Now, why didn't any of my friends tell me about it ages ago??

Last time I was in the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle-upon-Tyne they had posters up advising people to use MFP. I gave it a knowing nod, like I was part of some cool club where all the other cool kids hang out. We should have a secret handshake for when we meet other MFP users to confirm our coolness. Maybe even have secret clubhouses all over the world for various different areas. And we can wear fancy robes and hats.

I am totally down for this idea. :p

no one listened once they discovered it wasn't a magic pill, etc... essentially "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to put forth any effort"

I've had the same thing with every single one of my friends who has asked me about my weight loss, they want to know what specific diet I'm following or what shakes I use, what one amazing exercise I do, and how quickly I did it. When I explain CICO and that I took it slowly (335 days so far and 0.8lbs away from my goal) their interest immediately dies. They all want one miracle food, or one fat-destroying workout, or fantastical supplement that means you can still eat the way you always did and still lose. I can't understand why people are so against a method that WORKS. Seriously, it works, I've lost weight for the first time in my life and I've not deprived myself of any food I love, it's just.... science! It works! Use it, you strange little people! Gah.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    why bother with all that when the lemonade detox is SO much easier?

Haha, "Lemonade Detox", better copyright that quickly!

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are put off by logging/weighing/measuring, no two ways about it.
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree. Echoing a lot of comments here, most people will try weird diets, food exclusions, etc. but they are unrealistic about results. A friend of mine whines a lot about how hard dieting is, and I see her 'fall off the wagon' a lot. I said to her, "Do you really want to know which diet works?" Of course she got all excited, and I said, "The one you stick to." That really is key.

All I know is the ONLY time I have ever lost a significant amount of weight is when I was patient with myself, journaled my food religiously, and added exercise into my weekly routine.

Also, I want to mention self talk. I broke my leg about ten years ago and the doc said I'd have to stay off of it for 3 MONTHS! I started to cry and I said "I'll get fat" guess what? I did. From there I had this nagging voice inside my head that said if I couldn't run I'd gain weight. Talk to yourself in a loving supportive way. It's all up to you anyway, no one can do this for you. So you might as well be your own best cheerleader. Someone said to me, if you don't like something, change your mind. Your body has to do what your mind says.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mjsmamma wrote: »
    Yes I agree. Echoing a lot of comments here, most people will try weird diets, food exclusions, etc. but they are unrealistic about results.

That's partly because people do want fast results, but also because we are inundated with false and misleading claims made by the diet and fitness industry.

Like what the crap is this

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/10-day-detox-diet-jump-start-guide

or this
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/7-day-diet

or this
    337.sf_.ss_.op_.Thighmaster.Jenx476.jpg
  • Wiseandcurious
    Options

I agree to a point, but (as you mention) a lot of people come here, read the forums, and maybe even enjoy some success still give up. Just weighing food and logging meals is too much effort for a good chunk... why bother with all that when the lemonade detox is SO much easier?

I see your point. In the end, as so many people have said so many times, you have to want it badly enough.

Part of the problem I think is "magical thinking" - we all have it as kids and mostly grow out of it as our reason develops, but I think some people suffer from its effects all their lives. Even when I didn't have what it took to stick to MFP, I never went on any fad - but I am a hopeless rationalist. The stronger one's (possibly subconscious) belief that a magic solution to their problems may exist, the stronger they will resist doing it the hard, old-fashioned way I guess.