I need exercise help...PLEASE!

Options
Ok so this morning I weighed my self and almost cried! I didn't get it..I've been eating so well and going to the gym 4-6 days a week...and I gained 2 lbs!! How did this happen?

I always do the elliptical at the gym for an hour...yea that's the only thing! I don't know what else to do! My body must be getting used to the same old routine but I honestly don't know what else to do? Would it be better if instead of doing an hour of the elliptical that I did 20 mins elliptical, 20 mins treadmill, and 20 mins on the bike? I'm just so lost here!!!

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You may want to start a weight training program - from what I've learned, weight training burns calories over a longer period of time (as muscles heal from the exercise). Or try interval training in your cardio - I've heard that helps jump start weight loss as well.
  • twiggyrr
    twiggyrr Posts: 22
    Options
    You may want to start a weight training program - from what I've learned, weight training burns calories over a longer period of time (as muscles heal from the exercise). Or try interval training in your cardio - I've heard that helps jump start weight loss as well.

interval??
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Ten minutes on the elliptical, ten minutes on the tread, ten on a bike...that's how I do it to shake things up.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    how do you track your calories burned? I have a heart rate monitor (HRM) and When I use the machines at the gym, I always burn 2x what the machine says. This could make it so you are not eating enough calories...
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Intervals should be one of the programs on the elliptical machine. Alternates between two inclines.

But I second the comment you need to be lifting some weights. Try out a few of the weight machines. Also are you eating back your excercise calories?
  • twiggyrr
    Options
    Intervals should be one of the programs on the elliptical machine. Alternates between two inclines.

But I second the comment you need to be lifting so weights. Try out a few of the weight machines. Also are you eating back your excercise calories?

No i'm not eating back my exercise calories.
  • kymlynn13
    kymlynn13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is key. It burns all of the sugars in your body and then when you go to do cardio you burn more fat. Thats what the personal trainer at my gym told me and I have lost 20 lbs so far! So when you workout do a warmup for like 10 minutes, weights for a half hour and then cardio and you will loose the lbs!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

interval??

Most ellipticals will have either a random setting, or an interval setting. They will adjust the resistance periodically throughout your workout.. you can do the same with a bike, or treadmill too.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options

No i'm not eating back my exercise calories.

Try eating them back for at least a week, see if it makes a difference...
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I have been doing this almost a year.. no weight lifting for me. My main exercise has been walking. I would say it could be down to the fact you are not eating enough. Since your food diary is not public and I have no idea how many cals you have a day I am guessing on that. I know most people go with a 1200 cal a day diet. This can be to low for some people AND if you do not eat back your exercise cals then your body will hold onto what you give it therefore giving you a weight gain.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bodies are weird, you could've just weighted yourself at a different time of the day, or today you could just be up a little bit, its pretty normal to fluctuate a few pounds (probably not 5lbs but just 2lbs probably isn't too bad) Give it a few more days, drink plenty of water and make sure you're having bm's daily (if not then get more fiber in, try one of the fiberone cereals, those things are great!) then try it again.

You can do intervals on the elliptical by just changing the level. Do 4 minutes on level 10 (or whatever level you're on) and then do 1 minute on level 15 (or whatever level is hard for you to do).
  • RichardGubler
    Options
    This may go against the grain a little but here goes - don't get too hung up on the scale! 2 lbs is nothing and your weight can actually flucuate through the day 5 lbs or more. This is not ALL about the scale every day - I mean do you feel healthier? How do your clothes fit? Scales are a dangerous thing sometimes - a "body mass indicator" is a better guage - they are not expensive and will tell you your body composition. Muscle weighs more than fat and for those of us that do a lot of weight training our weight can be misleading. Also there are times when your body plateaus just before the next drop in weight so again the scale that measure only weight can be misleading. Definitely "mix it up" on your gym routine - muscles have memory and the more you do the same thing the less beneficial it is. If possible participate in classes - try a spin, body works, cardio - boxing, dance, yoga - keep surprising your body with new exercises so it doesn't cheat you. Good Luck and remember this is a marathon not a sprint to healthy living.
  • twiggyrr
    Options
    Bodies are weird, you could've just weighted yourself at a different time of the day, or today you could just be up a little bit, its pretty normal to fluctuate a few pounds (probably not 5lbs but just 2lbs probably isn't too bad) Give it a few more days, drink plenty of water and make sure you're having bm's daily (if not then get more fiber in, try one of the fiberone cereals, those things are great!) then try it again.

You can do intervals on the elliptical by just changing the level. Do 4 minutes on level 10 (or whatever level you're on) and then do 1 minute on level 15 (or whatever level is hard for you to do).

I usually do 30 mins on level 16 and than 30 on level 15.