Looking for some new supportive friends!

Options
I was very active on this site for a few months almost a year and a half ago, but unfortunately I fell off the wagon, as I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. This past month I have been through a pretty crazy health scare, I thought I had a migraine for almost two weeks, then Bell's Palsy for a week, but was having a lot of vision loss with growing blind spots and finally ended up going to the ER after an opthamologist said my optic nerve was bulging out like crazy and I needed to see a neurologist ASAP. It took another five days in the hospital, and multiple MRI's, CT scans, and even a lumbar puncture to determine that I had pseudotumor cerebri, caused by a vein that was narrowed within my brain, not allowing the blood to drain correctly and giving me high pressure in my skull. They placed two stents in the vein to open it up, but there is still some risk of this happening again. The vein has likely been like that since I was born, but one of the things they usually recommend for pseudotumor patients is weight loss, so I have one of the best motivators ever! I am about 330 pounds right now, 22 years old, and looking for some new supportive friends to help me along this journey!!

Replies

• twinkylafleur
    Options
    Hi Meghan!

I'm Jayme :) It sounds like you've been through QUITE a lot and that is incredibly scary!! Are you able to see now? I've had some vision problems myself, although NOTHING like what you've gone through. I started having vision loss due to migraines that were stress related. I'd never get the actual headache, just vision problems that would just happen all of a sudden and would last for minutes to days. It was very scary for me, as I'd be driving or at the store and all of a sudden I'd see what looked like kaleidoscope vision, or like someone had smeared vaseline all over my eyes. It was just very weird and very scary, so I can at least relate to the feeling of vision loss and being helpless there. I ended up finding out it was due to stress. I was going through school at the time, art and medical school, and the amount of stress my courses put on me, from staying up studying for days finally took a tole on my body. Since then I've learned to get much more sleep, stay out of stressful situations and take care of myself more in that regard. I'm also 10 years older now, at 33, so my body just isn't willing to deal with the crap of life anymore :)

I am, however, also trying to lose weight now, because as life happens, stress doesn't just go away because you want it to hahah! I went from being 110 to 180 over the course of 6 years, mostly from stress and neglecting to take care of myself. I just started back on the weight loss in March...so about 1.5 months ago. I wanted to lose 50lbs. So far I've lost 17 of those, but I know I want to lose more. I have some health issues as well that are pushing me to lose the weight, it's not JUST about looking good for me. The weight really adds stress to my body and the stress, while it doesn't affect my vision anymore, is affecting my female hormonal balances, and it's not the fun. So perhaps we could be motivation for each other. Friend me if you'd like! And, also, good luck to you :D
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Yikes. Sounds like you've been on a ride. I also suffer from chronic migraines that have finally leveled off some with the help and persistance of my amazing doc. I'm recently re-starting my journey (again! ugh!) and am setting myself up for success this time. I would love to have some supportive friends on here as well! We can go at this together.

Let's rock this thing, girlfriend!

Laura
  • TheLovelyQueen
    TheLovelyQueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm new and I'm here to support you....
  • BronyGirl9678
    BronyGirl9678 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Megan........i would love to be your friend and we can motivate each other....im 36 and i am quite a bit over weight as well....im sick of it and i want to be healthy....yeah i have come to terms i will never be "thin" but i would like to be healthy....i dont want to be a ticking time bomb!!!....please add me...i would love to talk more :) oh and i too just rejoined after a year...i cant wait to get started!!!!
  • nemomanim
    nemomanim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You sound like a lovely girl Megan! And yes I would love to be a part of your weight loss journey :)
  • Teishlw
    Teishlw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan I'm Lateishia, I'm finally learning how to work mfp maybe we could help motivate eachother
  • ScatterBrainedSpirit
    ScatterBrainedSpirit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new friends - feel free to add me. :)
  • Dezire4lyfe
    Dezire4lyfe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi All!! I'm Raychelle and am looking for friends and others on this weight loss and fitness journey. Please feel free to add me!

Also, I don't know if anyone uses instagram but it is also a great tool for the health journey. I always find tons of motivation, recipes and anything else you need on there. Please feel free to follow me.... 1dezire4lyfe
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    add me ill support you
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm here daily and will support anyone.
  • lianneharkins123
    Options
    I'm new and looking for some weight loss pals so i would be more than welcome to be friends(:
  • leefuuxx
    leefuuxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi meagan! I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with that vein. :C I hope it doesn't come back!
    I started out just like you, my weight was constantly affecting my health and the wayI see myself! I started out at about 320! But MFP has helped me lose 23lbs so far! I hope it treats you good as well :) I'm always open for new friends, so feel free to add me!
  • princesswarrior1
    princesswarrior1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add. My motivation is for health reasons as well. I just had my second hip surgery and facing a 3rd in a few months. I am hoping that talking some weight off of frame will help with the healing process among other things.
  • wonderfuljurney
    Options
    Sounds like you had quite a health scare and I would love to join you on your progress to a new lifestyle. :smile:
  • Danielle8572
    Danielle8572 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! It seems you have been through a lot! I am back here again. I was gone for some time and went through some personal and big changes and I am now ready to get healthy, Having friends on here to help motivate me would be great! Feel free to add me!
  • APU1972
    APU1972 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan,

Sounds like youve been through the mill.

More friends the better = better support.

Andy
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    meghanp92 wrote: »
    I was very active on this site for a few months almost a year and a half ago, but unfortunately I fell off the wagon, as I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. This past month I have been through a pretty crazy health scare, I thought I had a migraine for almost two weeks, then Bell's Palsy for a week, but was having a lot of vision loss with growing blind spots and finally ended up going to the ER after an opthamologist said my optic nerve was bulging out like crazy and I needed to see a neurologist ASAP. It took another five days in the hospital, and multiple MRI's, CT scans, and even a lumbar puncture to determine that I had pseudotumor cerebri, caused by a vein that was narrowed within my brain, not allowing the blood to drain correctly and giving me high pressure in my skull. They placed two stents in the vein to open it up, but there is still some risk of this happening again. The vein has likely been like that since I was born, but one of the things they usually recommend for pseudotumor patients is weight loss, so I have one of the best motivators ever! I am about 330 pounds right now, 22 years old, and looking for some new supportive friends to help me along this journey!!

I am so glad you were able to get the stenting done! Good luck in your journey!
  • bhuelle20
    Options
    Hi Megan and all! I am three weeks into my weight loss journey and while I'm fortunate enough to have had such a scare, I'm always here to motivate those around me if I can. I'm positive you can do it and am here if you'd like to friend me and we can motivate each other.
    Anyone else can add me as well. More friends with similar goals is always awesome!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I can't imagine but thankfully you've been able to get help... Feel free to send me a request if you'd like.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear what you've been through, but I admire your determination. Every little bit helps. Small changes reap large rewards.