how do you keep the motivation to keep going

Options
I have been exercising for over a year and half, saw some improvement but no weight loss. In the last couple of week I have been work with a great personal trainer who helps keep me motivated and pushes me to my limits. I have started to eat right. But my movtivation is decreasing. My legs and arms are swollen my clothes are fitting tighter, which she says is all normal becuase I have never worked out this hard in the past. I'm sore all the time and could barely make it through my 30mins of cardio this morning. 1st 5 mins I wanted to quit!

How does everyone get over this hump or does anyone ever have humps like this?

Replies

• WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    just think of the end result thats what keeps me going. i wish i could afford a personal trainer your lucky to have someone keeping you going most of us are doing this alone :)
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to use a personal trainer. I am slacking on my workouts because of a lack of motivation. I can tell you that the pain you are feeling will go away, and probably very soon, as your body becomes accustomed to the grind. Stay with it, it gets better.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    The trainer is right, it's absolutely what happens when you increase your workload.

You body will adjust, you'll come out much stronger and it really won't take long. Push through it!! You'll be so glad you did.

Make sure you are eating enough. If you are dizzy or excessively tired all day, you may be underfeeding. Not eating will stop your weight loss, if you don't get enough food.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have someone to motivate you - perhaps your trainer could help you when you're feeling like it's not working?

Personally, I get motivated by looking on these forums, reading other people's successes and seeing how they've done really motivates me when I'm getting a bit fed up with it all!
  • jkegs013
    jkegs013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Get some good music on when you do cardio, and after the first few minutes the soreness should become less because the muscles are moving again. I always find the first few minutes to be the toughest because I'm still stiff and sore from the previous workout, but once I get going and everything starts flowing, I don't notice it anymore. And you are definitely lucky to have the personal trainer! Just keep the end result in mind and you'll do fine.
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    I want to be involved in law enforcement and later pursue a career as either an FBI special agent or a U.S. Marshal. Just knowing my future depends on what I accomplish now keeps me going every day to no end.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    to keep the motivation going.... well for me... I have a weddinging october so I set myself a goal the beginning of the year to get 'healthy' healthy BMI... and since I was extremely very very very close to being obese on the wii...I knew it was going to be a job and a half..to say the least...!! So I suggest to you to set yourself a goal... something you need to do by a certain time and give yoursef rewards for mini goals along the way... thats my suggestion to you... my bmi is 25.7 from 29.9 so I'm nearly there..thank god!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I look at my before and after pictures. I sit back and think about how far I've come.. how hard I've worked to get where I am. Do I want to just throw it all away? Heck no.

As I sit here sore from the gym last night, I can relate to the soreness. But, I tell myself it is me getting stronger. :) I've seen the personal trainers at my gym working with people and I know that I'm not the kind of person who would enjoy working with a trainer. I like to do my own thing and if it doesn't work, I try something else. That said, I do think having someone there to hold you accountable is a good idea. I use my boyfriend for that... he's good at keeping me on track. :)
  • routsongk
    routsongk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Motivation is subjective. From your post, I would say you're doing too much too soon, and you're not having fun. The trick is to find activities you like to do. Start slow and build on it. You also need to eat right - eat the right foods, the right portions, etc. before you'll see any progress. You have to take it one day at a time and recommit to changing your lifestyle each and every day. This site is a great way to manage both sides of the equation. Once you start seeing progress, the motivation comes from that.

As a former 220 lb. couch potato, I can tell you it isn't easy. It's not only physical, it's mental. When I first committed to a healthier lifestyle (eating right and exercising), I had to force myself to exercise. After working all day, the mind games would start... I just had to ignore those thoughts, change my clothes and get out there and exercise! I wouldn't let myself eat dinner until I had exercised. I always felt great after a workout, but just getting started and overcoming the mental aspect some days was a challenge. I took it one day at a time, and the weight "magically" started to come off. I still take it one day at a time, and I'm always looking for new ways to have fun being active!
  • pachiri
    pachiri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I look at my before and after pictures. I sit back and think about how far I've come.. how hard I've worked to get where I am. Do I want to just throw it all away? Heck no.

I'm afraid to look at my old picture from fear of crying...but that is a great idea. I will pull some out!
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Motivation is subjective. From your post, I would say you're doing too much too soon, and you're not having fun. The trick is to find activities you like to do. Start slow and build on it. You also need to eat right - eat the right foods, the right portions, etc. before you'll see any progress. You have to take it one day at a time and recommit to changing your lifestyle each and every day. This site is a great way to manage both sides of the equation. Once you start seeing progress, the motivation comes from that.

As a former 220 lb. couch potato, I can tell you it isn't easy. It's not only physical, it's mental. When I first committed to a healthier lifestyle (eating right and exercising), I had to force myself to exercise. After working all day, the mind games would start... I just had to ignore those thoughts, change my clothes and get out there and exercise! I wouldn't let myself eat dinner until I had exercised. I always felt great after a workout, but just getting started and overcoming the mental aspect some days was a challenge. I took it one day at a time, and the weight "magically" started to come off. I still take it one day at a time, and I'm always looking for new ways to have fun being active!

I made it so I have to pass my gym when I drive home from work (actually, I pass it when I go just about anywhere from my house!). It is motivation to see it as I'm driving home. I keep workout stuff in my car and often stop on my way home. I figure once I get home, I won't wanna go out again. If i stop before I get home -- I don't have the chance to relax!
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I'm afraid to look at my old picture from fear of crying...but that is a great idea. I will pull some out!

Oh. I HATE looking at my before picture. I can't believe I allowed myself to look like that. But, it is definitely motivation to NOT allow it to happen again! Seeing the before will keep you on the right path. :)
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I felt like that I would take a day or two or three off to get remotivated and energized. Also if I wasn't losing weight I would check my diet (its always the 1st thing I check). I may be eating waaayyy more than I thought I did, or my carbs or sodium is to high, and Im carrying water weight.

BUT what keeps me motivated is knowing that I feel better when I look better. All vain but it is what it is...I like to shop but I hate going shopping because of my size. Plus at my well check-up last year, my doctor said something to me that really stuck..."You're not getting any younger". Though, I don't have health issues (Thank you God!) my weight is or was way over where it should be for my 5'3 frame. That got me motivated and keeps me motivated thinking about shopping =) Also when I see someone whose lost 100 pounds or 200 pounds I think if they can do it I CAN DO IT! Who am I to complain or say I can't when this person has lost twice or triple as much as I want to lose. Watch ''Heavy"...watch "Biggest Loser"...those shows will keep you motivated. Sorry for the long response, hope you get motivated and continue with your weight loss journey! You may not get there tomorrow, but you'll get there eventually.
  • pachiri
    pachiri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awww thank you..that last sentence..so true..i'm still going but getting tougher and tougher..but i will push through!!!! no if's ands or butts
  • txsarge17
    txsarge17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have children, and I use them as motivation. They always want to play in the back yard or at the park, and I would never really get into it with them, simply because I was out of shape. Now they can't keep up with me. I want my kids to look at me as a role model in all parts of life, including school (going back for my MBA), health, and spiritual maturity. I'm not perfect, but if they see me trying, hopefully they will try too. My 12 year old daughter has started working out with me when she's at my house. That's one of the coolest things ever!

Oh yea, getting to go shopping because none of my clothes fit anymore was cool too, and I'm a guy! lol