21st birthday

Options
so my 21st birthday is coming up and then Easter is the day after. I don't drink a whole lot, but I know I am going downtown on my birthday. What can I do to not suffer from this weekend of alcohol indulgence and family dinner? I know I don't drink much but it is my 21st and I'm sure the rounds will be served to my table. I want to have fun and enjoy it but I don't want to suffer months of rework...

Replies

• nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    omg. GO OUT AND ENJOY YOURSELF! You have a 21st birthday once! I'm assuming you live in the States and you're allowed to drink now (legally lol). Don't even think about it! I live in Canada, so when I turned 19, I partied away and enjoyed myself. It is one weekend, not every weekend. HAVE FUN! There's more to life sometimes than calories and macros :) Happy early birthday!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Have fun and be careful (the mom in me, sorry!). BUT...if you've been getting lighter and eating less alcohol will affect you quicker than it did before. Enjoy your birthday and then the next morning track it all in MFP. That might make it less tempting to do that too often!
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have fun! It's one (or two) days. Don't beat yourself up over it. Go have fun! Also, drink a lot of water and grab a bottle of pedialyte (Walgreens has a yummy store-brand mango one) to stick in the fridge, just in case you get a nasty hangover.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Decide what your limit is for these events. Stick to your decision. Have fun.
    You can celebrate some other way or not make alcohol/food the focus of the celebration.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Have fun and be careful (the mom in me, sorry!). BUT...if you've been getting lighter and eating less alcohol will affect you quicker than it did before. Enjoy your birthday and then the next morning track it all in MFP. That might make it less tempting to do that too often!

I really like this idea. Let go, have some fun, celebrate. But later, be mindful of (and mindfully accountable for!) what you did, and maybe influence your future behavior.
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Exactly - what everyone else said. One weekend isn't going to destroy months or years of hard work. Enjoy yourself. Eat nachos! Drink beer (or probably your case - take shots!). In the morning... go out and eat something that'll make you feel better (My go to is something deep fried and delicious - then I lay around all day making empty promises to myself that I'll never drink again) - Recover... then on Monday, get your *kitten* back in gear. :)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I agree with this too. You only have a 21st birthday once. Log it afterwards so you know what you did! It won't ruin all your hard work. If you're worried about the amount of alcohol ruining your evening try getting every other drink without alcohol. This is what I do when I don't want to make a fool of myself!