Should I use calories earned from exercise?

Options
I have been doing 1200 calories for 2 months and lost 20 pounds. I have started to exercise more, is there any harm in not using the "earned" calories from exercise?

Replies

• lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    General rule is if you're meeting your goals, change nothing. So if you've lost 20 pounds in 2 months (which seems excessive--that's more than 2 pounds a week), whatever you're doing, I wouldn't change...as long as your goal is to lose weight and your doctor says it's ok.

If you started to exercise more, I'd eat those back. I'll make some assumptions, and they're probably not true, but they'll illustrate a point, and you can fit them to your situation and see what the reality is.

You're eating 1,200 calories. If you're losing 2 pounds a week (I'm rounding), your maintenance is 2,200 calories a day.

Here's the assumption: Say you run for 45 minutes and burn 500 calories, but don't eat them back. You netted only 700 calories that day, which is less than a third of your maintenance calorie intake. That's unhealthy (and likely to cause you to indulge later, if you're the type). You'll end up losing too much lean body mass at the same time as fat mass because you're starving your body. I'd eat those calories back, but make sure it's high-nutrient stuff.

Besides...ever seen Austin Powers Goldmember? If you lose too much fat too quickly, your skin will end up having the same flaps as Fat *kitten* at the end of that movie. Don't want that. Slow and steady wins the race, no pun intended. Or maybe it was intended. Who knows. Point is, eat them back, but make sure you eat it back in good foods. And you might want to rethink your fat loss rate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I would eat back 50% becayse the amount of calories you are on is already very low.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You should eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. I wasn't when I first started exercising and I was HANGRY all the time.

I'm lazy about weighing and measuring food, so I try to only eat back half of mine unless I have some crazy burn like on my long run days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories for 2 months and lost 20 pounds. I have started to exercise more, is there any harm in not using the "earned" calories from exercise?

Yes.
    Excessive deficit will mean you are probably going to lose more lean mass along with the fat you actually want to lose.
    Think ahead to when you get to goal weight - you are going to have to take your exercise into account then - so why not now?
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I try to go for eating around half of them back, but some days I eat all of them, some days I eat none. Do what feels right.

For example: if I work a 9 hour shift and we're busy (I have a fairly physical job), I know that I'm burning a lot of extra calories at work from running around, lifting, and just moving more in general. On those days, I won't guilt myself over a pancake or an extra slice of pizza, because I am hungry and my body needs fuel.

If, however, I don't work that day and the most exercise I get is from taking the dog for a long walk, I'll record the exercise for the sake of making myself feel better, but I won't make up for those calories in food since the exercise is so low-impact and the MFP calculator is quite likely overestimating what I burned on leisurely walk with the pup.

What helps me to stay in check is knowing that it is a weekly balance. Using MFP's weekly nutrition analysis tool is extremely helpful--that way, days I burn a lot but don't eat back can help me visualize balancing out the days I eat a little more and don't burn much.

But don't look at my diary because last week was horrendous for me! ;)

TL;DR Listen to your body; I talk too much.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP as designed expects you to eat exercise calories back because they gave you a deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight.

1200 NET is MFP's lowest minimum default. Some women are assigned 1200 because it's appropriate (petite, senior ladies) other women are assigned 1200 because they chose an aggressive weekly goal. Aggressive weight loss makes it harder to fuel existing lean muscle (part of what exercise should help minimize).

Eating part of exercise calories and assessing your weekly goal are good ideas. This is a chart for moderate weekly goals.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • regenarobyn
    regenarobyn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize that 1200 calories was an aggressive goal :smile: I think I will plan to have about 1/2 of the extra earned on high exercise days.